Hornsey Broadway

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Despite the colour of the stock ( ;) ) I really don't think it gets much more inspirational that that full stop!

JB.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Welcome back Kier and thank you for the continued updates on this latest great project. Fond though I am of Wibdenshaw (and I'm looking forward to seeing it at Expo EM again later this year), I think this has the potential to be the more interesting layout. Those varying levels are so characteristic of the lines out of the northern London termini and it's impressive to see how well this has been captured.

Adam

Kier Hardy

Thank you all for your kind comments.... it's nice to know it's appreciated, and most importantly something I've enjoyed creating. I only had a vague vision in my head a few years ago of what I wanted to achieve, and there's been a few steps backwards to get this far, but seems to be hitting the spot. Still a long way to go yet.:eek:

Let's hope all the 'photoshopping' makes it as good in the flesh!!!!

Cheers,

Kier

PMP

Western Thunderer
It certainly captures the atmosphere of the Kings Cross approaches. I used to commute through there not long after electrification.

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
I've long admired your EM gauge 1970s website Kier and all the layouts highlighted there, and Hornsey is no exception. How do you manage to work so fast??

Kier Hardy

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated :)

I've made a return to the depot, and with most of the planning approved have made a start on the throat pointwork.

hornsey_depotcross10.jpg
You'll always see it's copperclad if you look closely, but it's a compromise I'm happy to live with because of the size of the layout.

hornsey_depotcross16.jpg
After trimming sleepers, ballasting and painting. There's still a bit of final weathering to do on the track, and some point detailing to add.

Western Thunderer
Hi :thumbs:

Is this layout portable ?. Or is it in your house / club ?. Its superb modelling, thanks for sharing.

Steve :cool:

Kier Hardy

I've built the layout in 4ft sections, so is portable.... and the intention is to show the full layout on occasions, with the loco shed available as a stand-alone 16ft exhibit (much easier to shift around).

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
I saw this 'in the flesh' at it's 'preview' at Shipley in 2015 and if you think the photos are good they are nothing compared to the real thing. I took about 20 minutes of video at the show and every now and again re-pay it and it gets better each viewing ... and this is from a born & bread steam man!

I have seen many layouts in the magazines that, when you see them at an exhibition, only prove how good the photographer was (or how well he used Photoshop) ... but this is better in 'real life' than any of the photos so, when Kier is ready to unleash it on the exhibition circuit I for one will be going back for a further drool.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I am very impressed with this as there are so few published pre TOPS blue diesel layouts. I grew up on the western main line in Maidenhead and from 1969 to about 1973 spent many of the school lunchtimes trainspotting....seeing these in model brings back some very good memories. I also spent many Saturdays in the London termini copping as much as possible. It was only later in the mid eighties that I returned to have a look at the scenes in north London that showed how much had changed. As others have said I too love the Warship but the Western looks very good too. are the class 47s pre TOPS?

Thanks for sahring and I too have a spare 20 minutes to look at the video!

Julian

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
In response to questions about the video I took at Shipley, I have no issue with publishing it but I think that Kier should get the chance to blue pencil it first in case it is not up to the standard of the layout.

Secondly, I need to find out how to do it with my steam powered laptop but I will find a way. Now, perhaps I need some fermented grape juice to help the little grey cells!

Peter

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
Sorry guys, got the clips stiched into one 13 minute (2.3GB) file but my steam powered laptop says it will take it over 12 hours to upload the video file to Youtube for all to see. I dont know how people can sit there for that long uploading all those video files ... have they nothing else to do? Unless someone knows a quicker way then I am afraid the video will remain for my eyes only.