Is It Quiet Because..

28ten

Guv'nor
I it quiet bacause..

Jordan said:
Actually I was, earlier...!! :rolleyes: :oops: :lol:
Well, borrowing the neighbour's electric rake (like a lawn-mower but different!) and tearing up our lawn with it... :headbang: Just reminded me why I don't want a garden line of my own... I can't stand gardening!! :twisted:

P.S. I presume the title should actually read "Is it quiet because..." ..? :p
Tutle ammended :laugh: I also hate gardening but the mrs is rather keen on planting stuff. the way it works it like this - I do the back breaking hard labour movings tons of earth and building decking, planters and she sprinkles a few seeds in pots in the coldframe .... it earns brownie points but they only last a day or so :headbang:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I think you have both got it wrong :rolleyes: ...........you both need to be planting some Peco Streamline first :rolleyes:...........then gardens become REALLY INTERESTING :wave: :laugh:

With regard to the original point though, it has gone a bit quiet....maybe we could do with a few more members to keep the projects flowing?, I think I have introduced most people that I know who model the western :scratch: .
This is just a thought, but are we too specific?....should we evolve into a all regions larger scale forum or perhaps a all scales western forum?..........or are we happy being a small O gauge western forum?. I know we haven't set out to be exclusively O gauge, but we seem to be at the moment :scratch:
What does everyone think ?
Phill :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Phill
the same sort of things had crossed my mind, if we widened the scope of the forum it would be 7mm (or larger) exclusive, which would still keep it small and focused on a specific area. I am always open to suggestions, but what I dont want is a situation where longstanding, members feel alienated by various changes, if you know what i mean :D

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Phill
the same sort of things had crossed my mind, if we widened the scope of the forum it would be 7mm (or larger) exclusive, which would still keep it small and focused on a specific area. I am always open to suggestions, but what I dont want is a situation where longstanding, members feel alienated by various changes, if you know what i mean :D
Personally I'm inclined to agree with you ;) , but as you say the last thing we want to do is alienate existing & much valued members, but hopefully once other members have expressed an opinion we can either move forward or stay as we are :D
Cheers Phill :thumbs:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
It's quiet because it is a small (even if perfectly formed) group, and there is therefore a limit to how much modelling can be done, particularly in the larger scales where it seems to take forever to do something meaningful. It is even more true if you consider us poor lost souls who dabble in Area 51 matters; whose interests are not exclusively WR.

I'm having a hilarious fight with inside valve gear at the moment, mostly due to narrow frames (Why wasn't S7 around when I moved to 7mm scale :headbang: ). Entertaining, yes. Informative, yes. Relevant to this group, er, no. So for all intents and purposes, nothing will get posted by me of real interest, though I do like to see what you are all doing.

[Warning, WR bit :) We did have a blue sound-equipped Hymek round Heyside yesterday - I've gone DCC - but it's been banned until the wheels have been sorted as it will spread my 31.5mm points! Heljan seem to have some funny flange profiles. End WR bit.]

It's a really difficult decision as to how to develop the site, without diluting what you want, and I have no answer to that.

Regards to all

Richard

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes the hymek does seem to have funny wheels, mine will eventually be reprofiled...... did it sound good? Dan has some sound for his Western and I am looking forward to hearing that :laugh: If you want to post a shot of the inside gear feel free :laugh: I have done it a couple of times in F/S and its fun, fun, fun. :laugh: The biggest problem I found was the amount of slop present in the commercial offerings, it really needs precise forked joints etc to work really well other wise it flaps about a bit :headbang: Im not building a Castle until I can machine the full inside gear :laugh:

My inclination, is just to soften the boundaries a little to encourage a few non WR modellers. Its only ever going to be a small forum (by intention)if we hit say 100 members with about 25 really active members then contributing it would be a nice balance. Evolution rather than revolution!

28ten

Guv'nor
I it quiet bacause..

Jordan said:
There is also the as-yet unstated point that it might be quiet because we have actually got to go and do some modelling occasionally..? :shock: :scratch: :thumbs: (just off to do some right now... honest I am..!! :oops: )
Nah I dont believe that :laugh: I have spent the last half hour chuckling at the exchanges between RMweb and Frmw :eek: :D

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I it quiet bacause..

28ten said:
[quote=""Jordan"":263j4dg9]
There is also the as-yet unstated point that it might be quiet because we have actually got to go and do some modelling occasionally..? :shock: :scratch: :thumbs: (just off to do some right now... honest I am..!! :oops: )
Nah I dont believe that :laugh: I have spent the last half hour chuckling at the exchanges between RMweb and Frmw :eek: :D[/quote:263j4dg9]
Sounds interesting, can we have a link? :p

28ten

Guv'nor
I it quiet bacause..

Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""28ten"":1wm7ikad][quote=""Jordan"":1wm7ikad]
Nah I dont believe that :laugh: I have spent the last half hour chuckling at the exchanges between RMweb and Frmw :eek: :D[/quote:1wm7ikad]
Sounds interesting, can we have a link? :p[/quote:1wm7ikad]
here is the RMweb link read down the page - you need to be a member to see the frmw link so I havent posted it. I did smile at the phrase 'untouchables' to describe some RMweb members, as its so true :D

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I it quiet bacause..

28ten said:
here is the RMweb link read down the page - you need to be a member to see the frmw link so I havent posted it. I did smile at the phrase 'untouchables' to describe some RMweb members, as its so true :D
Cheers Cynric :thumbs: ,
I didn't know who FRMW were :? :oops: , but I assume it is Finescale Railway Modellers Workshop ?, It's a new one on me but I see they have a few familiar names as members :laugh:

28ten

Guv'nor
I it quiet bacause..

Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""28ten"":3crxrigi]
Cheers Cynric :thumbs: ,
I didn't know who FRMW were :? :oops: , but I assume it is Finescale Railway Modellers Workshop ?, It's a new one on me but I see they have a few familiar names as members :laugh:
Phill :wave:[/quote:3crxrigi]
Yes thats the one. Jordan can probably fill in on some of the Cheshire railway modellers bits :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
I it quiet bacause..

Jordan said:
[quote=""28ten"":3h3vmali]Jordan can probably fill in on some of the Cheshire railway modellers bits :lol:
Yes, there's more tit-for-tat expulsion going on than with the UK and Isreali Embassies at the moment..!! I'm trying to stay out of it all. I did have a quick look at FRMW but it does seem to have been set up (like a few other new ones recently) very much "against" RMweb... whereas I for one see Western Thunder as filling a niche gap that wasn't being catered for properly elsewhere, as do most of us, I presume??...[/quote:3h3vmali]
Absolutely :thumbs:
I was watching it yesterday, and it really brought a few people out in their true colours and it made me realise why I dont post much on RMweb anymore.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I it quiet bacause..

Jordan said:
[quote=""28ten"":1wbovfiz]Jordan can probably fill in on some of the Cheshire railway modellers bits :lol:
Yes, there's more tit-for-tat expulsion going on than with the UK and Isreali Embassies at the moment..!! I'm trying to stay out of it all. I did have a quick look at FRMW but it does seem to have been set up (like a few other new ones recently) very much "against" RMweb... whereas I for one see Western Thunder as filling a niche gap that wasn't being catered for properly elsewhere, as do most of us, I presume??...[/quote:1wbovfiz]
Yes I agree Western Thunder has filled a niche not catered for elsewhere :D :cool: :cool: :cool: , I have started to have a look at FRMW & on first glance it seems like a good general forum too, I don't know what the other forums are that you mention which have sprung up recently :oops: & having read some of the RMweb thread on FRMW I am a bit clueless as to why a group of RM webbers were expelled ? :? (some of which I consider friends :( ). I do however think it has got to be a good idea if rival forums do set up, as a monopoly is not a good thing for anyone IMO ;) .

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":383xgncv]
This is just a thought, but are we too specific?....should we evolve into a all regions larger scale forum or perhaps a all scales western forum?..........or are we happy being a small O gauge western forum?. I know we haven't set out to be exclusively O gauge, but we seem to be at the moment :scratch:
I was thinking about this recently (dangerous, I know :oops: ...) and I take the Forum to be "All scales Western Region" already... it just happens that so far most of us do it in O scale, and I was wondering why that might be...?

Is it just possible that at present, the BR Diesel W.R. isn't particularly well catered for (for modellers used to everything RTR these days...) in the smaller scales??
Take 4mm; there's no truly accurate Wessie, the Heljan Hymek is good but missing some 'modern' model features (such as see-thru grille and fan), and the recent Heljan 14 has some issues with it's running quality especially. That leaves the Bachy Warships, and the promised Dapol 22 and "Early" D6xx Warships, albeit at a price...
In 2mm things actually look a bit better- the Dapol Hymek looks good, as do the Bachmann/Grafar Warships and Class 14. The old Grafar Wessie could do with upgrading; only one version is currently listed so maybe it's in the pipeline?? IIRC Dapol are also going to do the 22 in 2mm as well. If I had to 'downsize' to a smaller scale I'd be very very tempted to go back to N scale...
As it is, with O scale (certainly for myself) due to costs and time taken to kit-build; a lot more effort and thought needs to be put into what locos and stock to have, and there's far less temptation to "impulse buy" just because a model looks nice, and focus much more on your main area of interest (or two..!! :p :oops: ). There is less need to do this in the smaller scales, and I guess most small-scale D&E enthusiasts have quite a varied roster of locos, not specific to one Region, or even Era...!![/quote:383xgncv]
Hi Jordan :wave:
I'm not sure why we don't have many W.R. modellers in the smaller scales, perhaps they are not aware of us yet?, it is very early days after all :scratch: :), if anyone knows some then point them our way.
I don't think it can be explained by the lack of spot on RTR models though as they are better catered for than 7mm & there are plenty of 4mm & 2mm modellers who modify the RTR offerings into good models. I'm not sure that people who do not have a certain class of loco simply because manufacturers have not produced a perfect one for them can even be called modellers?, isn't that the realm of 'Toy/Model Collectors'
I certainly agree that some 4mm, 2mm & perhaps 7mm people probably do more impulse buying & perhaps run all eras & areas on the same layout, but is that really modelling or playing trains ?
I don't actually believe that 7mm is more expensive to model than the smaller scales, obviously the same item will be more expensive in 7mm compared to the smaller scales, but we all spend what we can afford regardless of scale. I know plenty of people who tell me they don't model O gauge because it's too expensive & in the next breath tell me about their collection of 200+ RTR OO loco's :? :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
Phill Dyson said:
I don't actually believe that 7mm is more expensive to model than the smaller scales, obviously the same item will be more expensive in 7mm compared to the smaller scales, but we all spend what we can afford regardless of scale. I know plenty of people who tell me they don't model O gauge because it's too expensive & in the next breath tell me about their collection of 200+ RTR OO loco's :? :lol:
You are missing the bit were you say all the locos are sound equipped as well :lol: I had that argument with someone on RMweb and it turned out they were spending ?400 per month on RTR stuff, which is certainly more than I spend :shock:

In my mind the forum is all things WR in all scales. but I suspect that because 4mm is well catered for by various different forums there is less demand, whereas 7mm really is not well covered anywhere, which is why I am quite happy to accommodate 7mm modelers of all denominations :lol:
As Phill says its early days, but there is a nice feel to the place and as long as we stick to the WR and/or 7mm remit it shouldnt get too big or cumbersome.
Ultimately its driven by the members and not by me, they make the contributions that in turn make the forum, I just press a few buttons :lol:

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Jordan said:
...snip... and is reaching the point where keeping track of every topic & new replies is taking more than one session at the computer... :shock:
Couldn't agree more Jordan, had a couple of days of not logging in and found myself needing a 'two brew' session just to catch up :thumbs: