Deve_

I’m going to try and keep the Bass markings; although ‘naive’ they have a charm.

Someone speaketh of the Red Triangle....

I can ID the source for this as I'd started to build my 4mm interpretation a couple of years ago. There's a sketch in the March 1964 Model Railway News of this, noted as "strayed to the Liverpool area in 1946".

Built/registered with the MR 1910, rebuilt and re-registered with the LMS 1925, which will explain your dates (near enough). 4 shoe brakes with levers both sides, oil axleboxes (no type given/shown) and inverted V crown plates on the solebars. The detail given must suggest that the various plates on the wagon were looked at closely enough to get the dates.

My Cambrian-bash is below, as it stands.

2.png

It's somewhat of an oddity as Bass in Burton were rather frugal with wagons, with a surprisingly modest number split between internal use and coal traffic (and then to local collieries in South Derbyshire/North West Leicestershire) and they didn't use their own wagons for outgoing traffic*, prefering to use those owned by the railway companies.

Assuming one did escape during wartime pooling, it leaves two questions - 1. Similar liverys have not been recorded on other Bass wagons and 2. Bass no.71 was acquired by BR in 1948 but was a recorded as a 7 plank...

There is also the possiblity of it being from Sleaford maltings rather than Burton, but I've never found much looking in that direction.

*excepting the later demountables and a single tank van, as produced badly by Jidenco)

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Someone speaketh of the Red Triangle....

I can ID the source for this as I'd started to build my 4mm interpretation a couple of years ago. There's a sketch in the March 1964 Model Railway News of this, noted as "strayed to the Liverpool area in 1946".

Built/registered with the MR 1910, rebuilt and re-registered with the LMS 1925, which will explain your dates (near enough). 4 shoe brakes with levers both sides, oil axleboxes (no type given/shown) and inverted V crown plates on the solebars. The detail given must suggest that the various plates on the wagon were looked at closely enough to get the dates.

My Cambrian-bash is below, as it stands.

View attachment 207338

It's somewhat of an oddity as Bass in Burton were rather frugal with wagons, with a surprisingly modest number split between internal use and coal traffic (and then to local collieries in South Derbyshire/North West Leicestershire) and they didn't use their own wagons for outgoing traffic*, prefering to use those owned by the railway companies.

Assuming one did escape during wartime pooling, it leaves two questions - 1. Similar liverys have not been recorded on other Bass wagons and 2. Bass no.71 was acquired by BR in 1948 but was a recorded as a 7 plank...

There is also the possiblity of it being from Sleaford maltings rather than Burton, but I've never found much looking in that direction.

*excepting the later demountables and a single tank van, as produced badly by Jidenco)
Hi @Deve_
Wow! Thank you. That’s fascinating. Maybe the 71 was because it was easy on the brushstrokes :) #itswhatiddo ! Now all I have to do is figure how it got down to East London (never mind surviving until 1962!)
Thanks again

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Vee Weapons
About last night. Fettling and fitting some 51L vees to the Bass wagon. Nice etchings, and a fret full of possibilities. Sadly, all the exquisite etchery of the Morton clutch gear on the fret will not be used. This time around. I’m making this a double vee example (just because, really).
IMG_1248.jpeg
The brakes themselves are extended RCH spares from that GWR Open I converted to Dean Churchward. I kept the pivot, but made new arms; the previous builder had made the wheelbase (going by the crown plates) somewhere around 9’ 6” - so neither here nor there!
IMG_1239.jpeg
(the black assembly is a ‘practice run’ (aka incorrectly measured :) ).
6C3B4C66-7B7E-4F9D-BC41-2C3C5629CA34.jpeg
Cheers
Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Approaching the end..
IMG_1260.jpeg
Buffers, from spares. Manufacturer, I know not. They’re 10BA threaded, and the hole is 2 mm, so some sleeving with Plastruct tube was needed…IMG_1259.jpeg
… drilled 1.5 mm when the glue had gone off, the buffers were able to be screwed in…

The coupling hooks are Exactoscale, using the backing plates from the MJT compensating unit etch.

Just the brake lever, and the brake lever guard to go…

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Rounded Off
The resurrection shuffle is complete. I fitted Craig Welsh 9’ brake levers, and a 51L brake lever guard (on one side; i made a cods of one set, so went with a Craig Welsh replacement).
BF2406AE-2EDB-4DCF-AE15-E1EFA1EBDB2C.jpeg
It’s been a struggle, this one. Work has had a debilitating effect on me, and my confidence is rock bottom as a result. In the GSOT, Tiny Trains are my escape pod, and if I can’t leave work crap at the airlock, then I’m a bit lost. And lacking in motivation.

I shall keep this one unpainted, for the time being; I’ve been asked to provide some work to a proposed exhibition - The Hobby Cave ( if they’re willing to take it, of course) and I thought it might be interesting for people to see what goes into such things….

Cheers
Jan

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Hang in there buddy. In the GSOT, work is not the be all & end all, though it can feel that way.

Deep breath, watch telly, come back to it when the mojo is there.

And doing models to a strict exhibition time limit is not my cuppa, though I know some folks thrive on the pressure. I guess I do that at work, but modelling, mañana…

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hang in there buddy. In the GSOT, work is not the be all & end all, though it can feel that way.

And doing models to a strict exhibition time limit is not my cuppa, though I know some folks thrive on the pressure. I guess I do that at work, but modelling, mañana…
I’ll second this, Jan :thumbs:

Looks like you threw all your energy into this dear little wagon: what a change in appearance, while keeping its charm :)

Will check out the link later, and congrats on the invitation to showcase your skills.

Best,

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer

Thank you, Simon.
I’m watching far too much telly as it is! Found myself getting upset at the obvious plot holes in The Madame Blanc Mysteries the other evening… The thing with the Hobby expo thing is that it’s still being planned, and I can submit stuff in any state I choose. I shall propose one of my 7mm Bolster wagons, I think.
I’ll second this, Jan :thumbs:

Looks like you threw all your energy into this dear little wagon: what a change in appearance, while keeping its charm :)

Will check out the link later, and congrats on the invitation to showcase your skills.

Best,

Jon
Thanks Jon
Yes; what energy I had found it’s way into the rendering. Nice to be able to preserve someone else’s efforts, and (hopefully) add to them.

The showcase is open to all; I think your structural work is definitely worthy. I was contacted via Instagram last year, and we had a chat about stuff, then it all went quiet. It seems to be back on, now.

Cheers

Jan

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

Hi Jan,

Fully agree with @simond. Got the "work broke me" t-shirt. Had to have 4 months off a few years back and the big lesson I learned?... Despite all the talk of nobody being available to help out, and me taking on far too much, when I went off sick people were found and the project didn't collapse in a heap without me. As the saying goes, cemeteries are full of people who thought they were indispensable.

I would also echo the thoughts on hobby deadlines. A group of us took on the task of building a large exhibition layout in 12 months for a magazine. It started out as fun but quickly became a millstone and more like a work project. Great achievement from delivering to the deadline but so much strain in the process After that I vowed never again - keep your hobby as an enjoyable pastime and do it as and when you're in the mood.

Whilst the downside is that my layout and stock are taking a while to progress, I enjoy the modelling work I do. I've adopted the mindset of everything I do achieve is another step closer. I've also waved the white flag on a particular modelling millstone which was well beyond my ability to do a proper job on. I can't tell you how much a release that's been. (Cheers Simon).

It may not seem that you're accomplishing much but even bringing a single wagon back from the dead should be seen as an achievement to be proud of. My advice would me to focus on what you have done and take joy from those things. The to do pile is just a collection of things waiting for their turn to bring you joy. They can wait, it's not as though they can get upset.

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Hi Jan,

Fully agree with @simond. Got the "work broke me" t-shirt. Had to have 4 months off a few years back and the big lesson I learned?... Despite all the talk of nobody being available to help out, and me taking on far too much, when I went off sick people were found and the project didn't collapse in a heap without me. As the saying goes, cemeteries are full of people who thought they were indispensable.
They do say that work is the curse of the drinking class. That would also apply to the model railwaying class!

iak63

Western Thunderer
My ex-employee status is totally down to my former employers and other politik. The result is my mental health was damaged permanently - c'est la vie. The modelling mojo is lost in the haze of another "fud" presently; mind, it will return frae past experience eventually. The cyclical nature of my illness is what it is...
I stopped trying to build to deadlines long ago. Just go at your own pace is the mantra; even if, sometimes, several projects mature at once...

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Axle Rose
IMG_1284.jpeg

Next up. A GNR 10T (or it could be 8?) ventilated van. I think this is an old McGowan kit. It came assembled, but didn’t sit well. The stylie was 00 No Floor, with W iron castings glued into the solebars. Tatlow identifies these as having a slide over the four end vents, so those will need representing. I’ve already used the Modelstrip on it, and unsoldered the basic box.

Cheers

Jan

Suffolk Dave

Western Thunderer
Axle Rose
View attachment 209902

Next up. A GNR 10T (or it could be 8?) ventilated van. I think this is an old McGowan kit. It came assembled, but didn’t sit well. The stylie was 00 No Floor, with W iron castings glued into the solebars. Tatlow identifies these as having a slide over the four end vents, so those will need representing. I’ve already used the Modelstrip on it, and unsoldered the basic box.

Cheers

Jan
I'm going to follow this here as well as on Instagram!

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Springtime
96836AA3-2BCB-45AA-9B24-72FFEC190D61.jpeg
The GNR van had a broken spring casting (it wasn’t me!). So I’ve started to undertake remediation. This involves chopping off the old spring (mindful of the axlebox all the while) with a razor saw, and cleaning up with file and scalpel. Then modifying an MJT 4 leaf replacement, getting rid of the locating tabs at either end and bending - very carefully - to a slightly tighter radius. This will be glued on top of the casting. I’m toying with potentially using some etched brass W irons and just saving these axle boxes, but I’m trying (hard) not to spend much!

Cheers
Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Constructed Irony
I’ve folded up some MJT GWR/RCH units. And fettled out their accommodation from inside the solebar using my trusty 3-sided scraper;a good device, and a purveyor of soothing shiny curls of whitemetal in this instance.
IMG_1300.jpeg
The W irons area trial fit at the moment. They sit on a false floor of 60 thou plasticard.

Cheers

Jan

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1