2mm Let's Build a Midland 0-6-0!

WM183

Western Thunderer
A video of the engine, very nearly complete. I need buffers yet, and I need to make representations of the whistles and regulator linkage, but overall, this is how it will look.

Oh, I also need to figure a way to connect the engine frames to the tender, so it picks current up on all six axles. Any ideas?

Amanda (The Thrilled!)

Ian Smith

Western Thunderer
Brilliant!!! Well done!
On my Dean Goods (my only tender loco so far), I connected the tender to engine main frames by soldering fine wires to each tender frame, those wires having a short peg of phosphor bronze wire soldered onto the other ends. Those pegs engage in holes in each side of my engine chassis (and obviously can be unplugged to separate engine from tender).
Hope that’s helpful.
Ian

WM183

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian,

I wound up just soldering the wires to the frame sides on the loco, and to the center spacer on the tender. It sort of looks like water lines, and it isn't like I plan to disconnect them. Next time perhaps I will try some teeny brass tube as a socket to "plug" a phosphor bronze pin into, but for now... it picks up on all 6 axles!

Basically now I wait to get some buffers (Yet another part I forgot - no worries, I want to build a small tank engine next, so I will have to order wheels and stuff anyways) and I need to figure out how to make a teeny whistle and the sandboxes. Then, it's paint time! I shall likely carry this on in my "Let's Build a Layout" thread so we're all in one place.

My next one will be better. I see a lot of stuff I can do better next time, or that I'd do differently. I still have an engine I am quite proud of, and a 2F is at home on any midland layout ever =D

Amanda