LNER Inspection/directors Saloon DE320042

C

Clive

Hi All

Bit of a cheeky one this as it is my first post and I am asking for something. I received this request from my mate Ian Metcalf today.

"With your extensive knowledge of where to find drawing etc, I hope
you may be able to help me. In David Larkin's book; BR general parcels
rolling stock, on page 61, there is a photo of a Gresley directors
saloon. I want to build this in 7mm using Ian Kirk components."

All I could find was a photo on RMweb that I think shows the other side of the coach. I have checked on the Departmental’s site, Paul Bartlett's photos, googled loads of permutations of LNER/Gresley inspection/directors saloon/coach and only found the one photo on RMweb and I checked through my book and magazine article collections. It had been preserved at Steamtown but I could not find anything regarding it at this location.

It is not numbered in the normal ex LNER departmental range of DE32xxxx.

Can anyone help Ian and (now) me. A 4mm version for Hanging Hill will go down well with my LNER modelling mates, they seem to pull faces when I convert Gresley coaches into BTU vans, tenders into snow ploughs and B1s into carriage warmers :)

Clive

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
LNER Inspection/directors Saloon DE910042

Clive,
Last night while thumbing through my GERS Journals I was reading a short article about a B1 arriving at Southend Vic with an Inspection saloon, these are the photo's, hope it's of some help :scratch:

ATB, Col.

Attachments

• LNER Inspection Saloon.jpg
    LNER Inspection Saloon.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 18

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer

Looks like you'll need some 7mm sprung Gresley bogie frames...  ;)

I'll get me coat..

JB.

C

Clive

Hi Col

They are lovely photos but the wrong coach. DE910042 was typical Gresley, all square panelled and domed roof. Not nearly as elegant as the Thompson design in the photos.  :) :)

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

Clive,

I'll look through all I have, you never know, the Gresely might crop up. An Inspection/Directers saloon is an item of stock I would also like for my planned mid '40's layout "Bow Creek Wharf"  :scratch:,
That's another set of bogies JB :)) 

Col.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

Inspection Saloons are always interesting vehicles, aren't they.  Their frequent use with 'celebrity' locos and go-anywhere status makes them both ideal and charming on a layout.  I'll be interested to see what pictures you turn up - the LNER versions were completely unknown to me  until about five minutes ago!

You need to watch out though; I started with plans to build one (the Ex-LSWR version as done by Southwark Bridge is in the 'to do pile' in t'other room) and have now added a second (the Ex-LBSC version as now preserved on the Bluebell will have to be scratchbuilt and owes more to LNWR practise than Brighton!).  Adding in the two support vehicles makes a total of four carriages so it's going to end up being a bit of work.

In my case the project includes the Royal Train T9 (from a Finney kit) - frequently the motive power for the Southern's officers' trains.

Steph

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

I have to confess an attraction for inspection saloons too, having a Sidelines LMS version and  an Oldbury Models Midland Saloon in the to build pile. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I am keeping my eye on this thread as both the Thomson and Gresley version are of interest. I will have a look through my Harris books to see if I can turn up any further information to add.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

I too am interested in Inspection Saloons and have just ordered the Southwark Bridge modles ex LSWR version to do as an 'aid to returning to soldering' :thumbs: I also have a kit for it's successor - the ex Maunsell Restriction O Composite 5600, which became DS70155, produced for me by Dick Taylor of Westdale, which I did have in my 'sale' list and was not taken up, so i'll have a go at that as well. It is after all, another type of assembly to try out the Maplin extractor. The jury is still out as to whether I go for 'Caroline' as well!

I have built two Sidelines D2046 Saloons and the livery variations since BR days again make them very appealing, so some more of them could well be finding their way into the stock cupboard.

I spoke to Shawn at Easybuild some time ago and he said that he might produce the BR built versions of the LMS D2046 Saloons (the ones built at Swindon in 1962, with the two end windows) and that would then allow the conversion of 999508 to it's current (ex Serco) 'yellow peril' version to be built.

Of course that then leads me on to the Sandite/Route Learner 121s................................................

cheers

Mike

C

Clive

Hi All

David Hatt on the BR Coaching Stock Yahoo group has located the coach.
I think that the vehicle you are interested in is the one described here:

<http://www.CS.VintageCarriagesTrust.Org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=865>

The layout of the vehicle matches that shown in the photo in the Larkin book almost exactly, so I'm fairly confident it is the same one.

The VCT website gives the departmental number as DE320042, as opposed to DE910042 in Larkin. A case of renumbering or mistaken identity?

It appears that the number in the Larkin book might not be the correct number.  :(
Thanks for everyone's help.

Clive