Lochgorm Kits

S

SteveO

Anyone with any experience of these - in particular the 7mm beginners kit (LMS/LNER van)?
http://www.lochgormkits.co.uk/html/7mm_scale_wagons.html#7HRWBEG

I'm determined to use my soldering kit for more than repairing other peoples misadventures and saw this kit advertised for £25 (etch only, other hardware not supplied) so thought it would make an ideal have-a-go first kit.

It's an LNER Cov 'B' but I can't find ANY prototype information about that wagon anywhere! What is one of those?

Cheers

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
You could ask Adrian (Buckjumper) as he has built some of the kits... I do not know if he has built the kit which you mention in your post.

S

SteveO

Thanks Graham, maybe he'll pop along with some sagely advice.

I'm coming to think (comparing the kit photo with LNER prototypes) that it's a fairly standard 12t van with wooden ends - so probably after WW2, with all the materials shortages. These then, converted to BR livery, would suit my Westerfield project?

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Steve - I've built the Lochgorm HR Fish wagons which went together very well. Lochgorm kits were originally designed and marketed under Alistair Wright's '5522' label which always had a good reputation.

I've not built the Cov B - but there's a thread on the 4mm version of the kit here. Looks like it makes up into a nice model.

S

SteveO

Steve - I've built the Lochgorm HR Fish wagons which went together very well. Lochgorm kits were originally designed and marketed under Alistair Wright's '5522' label which always had a good reputation.

I've not built the Cov B - but there's a thread on the 4mm version of the kit here. Looks like it makes up into a nice model.
Thanks Adrian. Do you know what a 'Cov B' is? It looks like a standard 12t van to me. Cheers

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Thanks Adrian. Do you know what a 'Cov B' is? It looks like a standard 12t van to me. Cheers

Moving away from the herbaceous ping-pong...

Where's Pennine when you need him? The LNER is pretty much a closed book to me, but wasn't it the post-war steel-framed, wooden-ended version of the 12T van?Prior to this corrugated ends had been used since the mid-30s when steel frames were introduced.

Happy to be corrected/shot down in flames...

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Jordan - you are a star... whenever there is a need for a "stop-short" comment to get us back onto the true path we can rely on you.

Graham

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
That's it. :rolleyes: I hereby declare that any Thread where the Basilica Fields lot get together will turn into utter gibberish for the rest of us....:headbang:

It makes perfect sense; you're just not keeping up...;)

Sage, thyme, basil...

Any danger of SteveO having his question answered in English, anyone..?? ....:confused:

I refer the honourable, but confused member to post #12.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Sage, thyme, basil...
Shakespeare.
No... Simon and Garfunkel, 1966. Just could not think of a suitable reference to Rosemary... you, on the other hand, could have combined your thoughts with mine and introduced a Rose Garden!
I refer the honourable, but confused member to post #12.

I think that you meant "honourable and :confused: " :thumbs: .

What were we trying to discuss here?

regards, Graham

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
What were we trying to discuss here?

I think it's all over; Steve now knows that Lochgorm kits go together quite well and have a good provenance, and I've given him my best shot at suggesting what the Cov B represents (tho' I'm prepared to be slapped down and put in my place).

Jordan and Phill, however, are on the verge of locking me in the 'models in abeyance cupboard' just to shut me up for a bit...

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
It is not fair that the Worshipful Company of Rhubarb Manurists and Early Morning Knocker-Uppers are being persecuted by the Mafia Flying Squad for erudite and tasty comments on historical writings for thespians and those of a musical bent.... For after all, have we not tried to raise the tone of the Establishment by introducing, repeatedly, topics which are thought provoking (possibly)? To wit, Schrodinger's Cat )last seen on the doorstep of a shop in Burial Street, Basilica Fields E1, which might or might not be alive... whilst dead. And to make the puzzle more demanding, the Cat has been christened Everett.

Actually, Adrian made one small slip on behalf of mankind... if the cat might be alive or might be dead, then surely the cat ought to have been christned "Heisenberg".

Time for Adrian and I to retire to the comfy sofa in the rest home, borrow Steph's slippers and partake of some beverage whilst sucking mint imperials.

regards, UTCA