Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
They came from Station Signs - Products. For a fiver you get

Standard pack contents: - 2 cards per pack.

Each card contains:

20 x BR totem or SR target signs (for lamp posts, walls etc)
4 x running in nameboards
2 x signal box nameboards
1 x station entrance nameboard
platform numbers 1-4 (two of each)
selection of small door signs

They will print any name and any regional colour. Printed on thick glossy card. Bargain.

John

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Work continues on Love Lane with several members getting together every week, here's a few photo's from today.

Sections of the station building have been worked on, here the staircases have had the interior paint applied and the exterior weathering expertly applied by Peter Insole. Handrails are yet to be fitted, these are constructed from brass but will be painted to represent wood as the prototype was.
DSCF3535.JPG DSCF3536.JPG
Brick walls have also been receiving the same treatment with several members all contributing. The ground still to be made up and the wall fitted properly:rolleyes::D.

DSCF3531.JPG
DSCF3532.JPG
A view through the station exit and one of the ticket collectors booths, the booking office to the right.

DSCF3524.JPG
The Station Masters house, which is just a mock up at present, and a superbly modeled garden by John Watson, a Master model maker,
( Remember ' A Suffolk Idyll' in MRJ ? :thumbs: ) which has dictated the time of year, mid-summer.

DSCF3521.JPG

DSCF3522.JPG
DSCF3523.JPG

Finally the bothy in the loco yard still to be worked on further.

DSCF3533.JPG
Col.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I love it!!

Just one question, and it'll hardly be noticed, but running alongside the stairs maybe a parcel "slide" would be appropriate? As an example see Loughborough Central Station. I remember being there a few weeks after it shut and the parcel slide was polished like glass - doesn't look like that now but it still exists.

B

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Spectacular as ever!

Just spoken to John this evening, and sadly can't make the first outing in October as it's Freddie's birthday dammit!

JB.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
We really have to thank Pete Insole for all his work on the station interior and on his guidance on painting. We persuaded him to hold a master class on painting bricks which resulted in my grandchildren and the wife of an old gliding friend picking out bricks and drybrushing, all to the effect you see here. It really is a case of it's easy when you know how, but Pete's perception of colour makes all the difference.

John

Osgood

Western Thunderer
We really have to thank Pete Insole for all his work on the station interior and on his guidance on painting. We persuaded him to hold a master class on painting bricks which resulted in my grandchildren and the wife of an old gliding friend picking out bricks and drybrushing, all to the effect you see here. It really is a case of it's easy when you know how, but Pete's perception of colour makes all the difference.

John

Do you think Pete could be persuaded to hold another Masterclass sometime?

Tony

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Re Loughborough Central. That parcel slide was not only used for parcels but for delivering local grammar school boys very quickly to the platform. I remember sitting on my satchel and sliding down it on a number of occasions, usually to be reprimanded by the Stationmaster who had a twinkle in his eye when he did it (or maybe it was a tear from having reprimanded us so many times and not taking any notice of him). This was from the mid 50s to early 60s for most of the time when the line was a real line with real trains - The Master Cutler, South Yorkshireman, Marylebone-Manchester and Bournemouth-York which was my usual train home, Gresley/Thompson coaches one day and Maunsell/Bulleid the next. Oh happy days!!
Rob

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I love it!!

Just one question, and it'll hardly be noticed, but running alongside the stairs maybe a parcel "slide" would be appropriate? As an example see Loughborough Central Station. I remember being there a few weeks after it shut and the parcel slide was polished like glass - doesn't look like that now but it still exists.

B

Yes I have seen these before, but to be honest we have tried to replicate the Ex G.E.R. architectural practice as faithfully as poss. The building (still used) and info. does not show a parcel slide.

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Some more shots of work carried out on LoveLane, first up the pill box made by Peter Insole, with work still to be done, making up the ground around the foundations etc. Probably more weathering at a later stage.
DSCF3543.JPG DSCF3544.JPG The water crane base and drain in the loco yard.

DSCF3545.JPG Weighbridge, excuse the deliberate mistake:D.
DSCF3546.JPG DSCF3547.JPG Cruel close up of the rodding stools along side the down platform.
DSCF3550.JPG Supporting steel work under the station building.
DSCF3552.JPG DSCF3553.JPG

Col.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Looking very nice.

Something is nagging at me that pillboxes were often covered with turf, or at least it was encouraged to grow on the flat surfaces as a form of camouflage. I shall check my sources shortly.

Nope, I'm wrong. Disruptive patterns were often painted on the structures, along with camouflage netting. A faded dark paint pattern might be apt for the period being modelled.

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Looking very nice.

Something is nagging at me that pillboxes were often covered with turf, or at least it was encouraged to grow on the flat surfaces as a form of camouflage. I shall check my sources shortly.

Nope, I'm wrong. Disruptive patterns were often painted on the structures, along with camouflage netting. A faded dark paint pattern might be apt for the period being modelled.

Observations noted Heather :thumbs:.

Col