Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Would anyone know what the closest Halfords rattle can colour would be to Stratford brown?

From what I've read it would have been slightly lighter than teak with a reddish hue.

Cue @Mudhen 's disgust and Warren's reply...

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks Heather,

I'd would certainly be tempted to have a go at cellulose on these, or send them to Warren, but it's time now..

With only a few days left before the Albury show, I think I'll need to stick with Rattle cans, even if I strip them again later.

JB.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Celly dries very quickly:)):thumbs: enough time for two or three coats then.

But as Heather says, the bare metal would look just as good - but don't forget to handle with kid gloves!

regards

Mike

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Good to know Mike, but since the workbench was packed up a few years ago, all of my spraying gear was moved to a friends house to be stored. Not that I'd attempt spraying celly in the flat of course, so it's spraying in the dark round the back of the flats near the garages with a rattle can sadly..

Brass is an option, but a finished paint job was requested for the show..

JB.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
JB

Go for brass rather than be reported by Neighbourhood Watch. Or if you are up this way, come and use my spray booth.

John (the other JB)

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks John, will see if I can get up during the week.. Or maybe at Richards on Wednesday..

Only a brief bit of research, and in thinking that LBSCR ochre might be very similar to Stratford brown? One thing I did read was that the paint was mixed on site, so would all have differed anyway.. Rule no.1??!!

JB.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
JB,
If you take a look at Buckjumpers' website Adrian Marks there are some nice photo's of the ex GER coaches he's built and in my opinion he's got the colour just right, so would make good reference for your build mate :thumbs:

Col.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Trouble is, who now knows?!

For what it is worth, and while regrettably not having a single paint sample as evidence to work from, the old BLMC "Bracken" paint shade looks the most promising.

Another problem is that some of our favourites, and often most useful "off the shelf" automotive colours have been dropped by Halfords now!

Prime in grey, and waft a special blend of Pete I Humbrols for effect on Wednesday??

Pete.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks one and all for your offers of spray booths etc...

Will let you know, though I did pick up a spray tin of uPol Acid8 etch primer and some ford brown colour that looked about right, earlier on today..

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Nah, it's not too bad round here despite being an E11 postcode..

Well, black's on. Black on the ends and brown on the sides, but I did a light witness coat of black on the sides too, to hopefully darken off the final colour a little, though thinking about it now, it may need an extra coat to cover the black. Hopefully the paint will be hard enough tomorrow evening to start masking for the brown. Happy-ish with the finish though.

I did a little test spray earlier if the Halfords Ford Tuscan Beige, and it looks good enough for Stratord brown.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

JB.