Quintus

Western Thunderer
Larry,
You have made a terrific job of that lime wagon.
I have not seen any photos of them with BR numbering, but presumably a few lasted long enough.
I wonder also if they would have had Non-Pool branding.
Regards
Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have not seen any photos of them with BR numbering, but presumably a few lasted long enough.
I wonder also if they would have had Non-Pool branding.
Hi Mike, I don't know. I imagine the ran on a specific service from the quarries to a changeover yard, so they might have carried "Return to...."

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter,
The abandoned skip wagon is from a KB scale kit.
I purchased a couple of secondhand ones from a 7mm NGA stand at a show, but not until I got home did I realise they had been built to 14mm gauge.
As the Waterloo Tramway is 16.5mm, I had to find another use for them!
Regards
Mike

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter,
The abandoned skip wagon is from a KB scale kit.
I purchased a couple of secondhand ones from a 7mm NGA stand at a show, but not until I got home did I realise they had been built to 14mm gauge.
As the Waterloo Tramway is 16.5mm, I had to find another use for them!
Regards
Mike
Mike
Thanks for the info. I've now tracked them down.
And I see that KB offer an axle extension kit:
'For 16.5mm gauge some additional work is required to modify the chassis
and to replace the axles with longer types - an axle conversion kit is available for this.'

Peter

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Mike
Thanks for the info. I've now tracked them down.
And I see that KB offer an axle extension kit:
'For 16.5mm gauge some additional work is required to modify the chassis
and to replace the axles with longer types - an axle conversion kit is available for this.'

Peter
Hi Peter,
The frame extensions are easy enough to fit and quite prototypical, I have built a rake of three for 16.5mm gauge, they are nice kits but they are extremely lightweight and nowhere to add weight if they run empty.
The secondhand 14mm ones were already built and it would be a bit of a pain to retrofit the frame extensions.
Mike

Quintus

Western Thunderer
A couple of shots of the P-Way gang in their Wickham.
I would be interested to know if anyone has information on how and when these were used.
On a branch line I imagine they would be used mainly on Sundays when regular traffic was light or non-existent, with perhaps a few new sleepers on the trailer for replacement somewhere along the line.
DSC_5136.JPGDSC_5137.JPG

Western Thunderer
A couple of shots of the P-Way gang in their Wickham.
I would be interested to know if anyone has information on how and when these were used.
Just been reading The Somerset & Dorset from the Footplate and there's an anecdote in there about a bored Signalman using the Wickham trolley to scoot down the line in-between very early morning trains. Got found out when someone asked why they could hear the trolley at 2am.

There's a prototype for everything... In fact it's worth reading these types of books, especially the Bradford Barton series, so much to learn from them, especially when things didn't go to plan, such as a runaway S&D 2-8-0 going all the way through the shed at Bath and demolishing the engineman's rest room. Nobody hurt but one unlucky driver was reluctantly used a pommel horse in the scramble to escape...
Tony

Last edited:

Quintus

Western Thunderer
4555 on the goods from Weymouth.
This is an original brass Lionheart model with a few mods and additions.
Not often seen at Melcombe Magna as she is DCC fitted with sound. I occasionally plug in my DCC controller to this layout, but the sound locos are usually kept on my "Bradstock Loco" layout.
DSC_5158 (1280x811).jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Nor sure if I have mentioned it before, but these telephoto shots resemble the typical shots of real trains. You have managed to obtain a decent depth-of-sharpness too. The 'like' in post 92 is for the spoked-wheel Austin car with its broken window and realistic weathering.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
3795 again with the Weymouth pick up goods.
The iron mink is was built from an ABS kit with" modernised" wooden doors and a detailed roof from brass sheet, whilst the 6 wheel "heavy" brake van is a Peco (ex Webster) kit updated with plating from 5 thou brass sheet._DSC4795~4.JPGimage.jpg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike.
The colour pallet and attention to detail make this the most realistic model I think I've ever seen. Absolutely fabulous - now where've I heard that before?
Dave.