MOK Standard 4 2-6-0 in S7

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It's coming along very nicely and once painted all of your concerns will be washed away :cool:

The blue mat was something we decided to do, to show a uniform front when showing our work. A good clean blue mat seems to show the model much better, I never work on my blue mat, it's for photos only, the tired old green one or the bench top get all the dirty work.

Does your iphone have a macro setting that might work a bit better than the normal mode, it's running F2.2 to try and get as much light as it can, which is giving you a very short depth of field.

MD

SteveB

Western Thunderer
Does your iphone have a macro setting that might work a bit better than the normal mode, it's running F2.2 to try and get as much light as it can, which is giving you a very short depth of field.

Hi Mick

I can only just about cope with turning it on. Its only an iphone 5 I think. I've found HDR and thats turned on but I can't find anything else. I'll need to invest in a decent camera.

Regards

Steve

mickoo

Western Thunderer
You might get a better result with HDR off, that's what's giving it the high contrast look, having said that, with it off your photos might look a little washed out.

A decent camera is only necessary if you're seriously into it and really need it, if you're just taking up date shots of models on an ad hoc basis then an iphone or simple happy family point and shoot should be more than sufficient.

MD

SteveB

Western Thunderer
Good advice Mick, thank you. I'll stick with the iphone. I think I would prefer to spend what spare time I have modelling, rather than trying to become competent with a complex camera.

Regards

Steve

SteveB

Western Thunderer
Trial assembly of the body to the chassis hit a bit of a snag. The fixing arrangement I used for locating the backhead interferes with the motor. I’ve chosen to put a different motor/gearbox than that recommended, but I don’t think the intended combination would have made much difference. There are no suggestions in the MOK instructions on how the backhead should be fixed, I suspect once its painted, it could be made a permanent attachment to the boiler and cab. I don’t want to do that because I want to get access to the boiler cavity so I can put a smoke generator in there for the safety valves along with the decoder etc.

It’s simple enough to get over the issue. All I need to do is make a simple ‘bridge’ over the motor and put the single screw fitting in that. Its one of those jobs though that would have been considerably easier before the boiler was permanently attached to the cab.

It took me an entire evening to finish off the oil pipes. Its not as neat as I would like but I dare say the fullsize version probably looked a bit scruffy in its final years.
IMG_0916.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0917.jpg
Still plenty to do, but I’m please with the progress so far.

Regards

Steve

SteveB

Western Thunderer
Thanks JB. I've been and will continue to watch your posts. Good luck with it. The MOK kits are excellent but even so, there are still a few areas where they could be better but I'm being very picky here.

Regards

Steve