MTH BR Maroon LMS Period 3 BG - Livery Options/Considerations and Lining Questions

Hi All:)

I wasnt sure where to Post this - back of the class again, so Mods please move if needed:D

The conundrum of BR Maroon has reared it's head again, well with me it has, as my scatter gun mind/modelling started to think on coach liveries.:rolleyes::D

The Issue in Hand:
I have a couple of the MTH BG's and whilst they have a few anomalies, they will, with some fettling, become good layout models. One is in BR Corp. Blue the other, procured at a bargain price, is in LMS 'Crimson Lake'.

My thoughts are about the LMS liveried version, which I need to transform into a BR liveried version. Leaving the cut and shut type modelling to one side, I was wondering if I could, without a major repaint (alleviated by patch airbrushing and weathering), use the MTH (model) version of LMS Crimson Lake, with a little fettling of the lining and the numbers etc., as BR Lined Maroon?

I know debate rages over liveries, their scaling, photographic repro, and the like etc etc. yet looking at the LMS BG against other model lined BR Maroon stock it looks very, very similar in colour/tone to me. Also as non passenger stock didnt receive as much cleaning to the sides as passenger stock, weathering is more appropriate across the entire model.

I have noted that in photos from the late 1960's the BR stock looks a lovely rich mid red, whereas my model BG and other stock seems to have a more purplish tint to it, yet when I have photographed my models, in the garden on a bright day, they too have taken on a similar tone to those from photos in the 1960's. It seems hard to find the correct tone for BR Maroon.

If I have to do a full repaint, then I will, yet space and facilities for painting coaches and larger locos is at a premium/a challenge.

The/A Similar Prototype's Livery:
In Keith Parkin's BR MK1 coach bible, it states that the lined maroon livery on the MK1 stock, in 1964/65 was continued on around to the coach ends as Eastleigh had made a request for such due to their use of airless spraying equipment. It states that; '....Non-passenger stock was met in each of these livery styles....' and then; .'...The majority of full brakes were given lined maroon, but the two batches that had been plain crimson received, in turn, plain maroon..' So BR MK1 stock seemed pretty uniform in regard to BR Maroon.

Now what has this to do with ex LMS stock you may ask?

Well, I can only find limited resource material on the LMS BG's in the BR era. I know that Phill and I have exchanged some details in the past....

The BR Corp. blue versions seem better represented than the BR lined Maroon versions when it comes to colour photos, so I am trying to work from photos of other similar stock.

Also, when I have viewed lined LMS Stanier Period 111 stock in photos from the early 1960's such has, of course, black ends (the LMS passenger coaching stock was almost all gone by 1965 - yet the non passenger BG's of course lived on for many, many years in different guises and liveries). Yet in the late 1960's most passenger and non-passenger BR stock - in lined maroon - had full maroon ends, whatever it's pre-nationalisation, big four origins.

Sources For Lining and Paint
Can anyone recommend a supplier for the BR Lining (I only really need the straw and black lining at the top of the coach - as good as Fox are, I am finding them a little pricey these days) - of course I could always have a go at lining such myself:eek::D . In addition does anyone know which is best paint manufacturers' version of BR maroon, I have the Lifecolor version, which is good if used well thinned and applied in lots of layers.

Any help gratefully received - thanks in anticipation.

ATVB

CME:)

Hi all:)

I have a photo of the MTH LMS BG in question - photographed outdoors and looking lighter in colour:)

Any help gratefully received.

Kind regards,

CME

Photo is copyright of the author/photographer 2012-2014

MTH_BG_1rs.jpg

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
model.

Sources For Lining and Paint
Can anyone recommend a supplier for the BR Lining (I only really need the straw and black lining at the top of the coach - as good as Fox are, I am finding them a little pricey these days) - of course I could always have a go at lining such myself:eek::D . In addition does anyone know which is best paint manufacturers' version of BR maroon, I have the Lifecolor version, which is good if used well thinned and applied in lots of layers.

Any help gratefully received - thanks in anticipation.

ATVB

HMRS do suitable lining sheets, I'm not sure if they are in stock or not?........I painted my MK1's with Rover Damask Red......

XL807629.JPG

Hi Fellas,:)

Phill, thanks, I remember you mentioning HMRS before, can they be purchased from Tower too (I will have a look)?

Thanks both - I have some Demask red kicking about, how did you find the finish out of the can (acrylic)?

My concern is matching the existing finish - if I can get away with just that:D .

Lots to think about.

BTW lovely work both of you:bowdown::thumbs:

Thanks so much for the replies and advice it is much appreciated.

ATVB

Hi All,:)

I was just wondering, if anyone knew what colour, in terms of Humbrol or other suppliers, the 'straw' coloured lining is on Maroon BR stock?:thumbs:

I have a bow-pen and dad has a lining tool and I may have a bash at the above window lines on the BG.

The LMS lining is similar to BR's (or should I say vice versa), yet above the windows, the bottom line lacks the black line - although these lines are thinner than those on the coach sides, they are still noticeable.

I think that if I can correct the lining in that area, and either reline and/or repaint the area above the windows, then, with light weathering such would avoid a full repaint. Hopefully I can remove the LMS script and numbers and replace with BR (M) numbers - again without a repaint.

I shall need to gird my loins and hack off the running boards too:eek::)

I may also replace the bogies....

I will Post on the workshop thread in due course.

With thanks,