7mm Muddy's Bog Cart work bench "some Western Region - eventually"

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Hello, my name is Craig, and I have lurked around on this great forum for a couple of months or so whilst I was searching information on Class 121 DMBS units, I was lead here by "Simon's G-scale 121 thread".

last year I took the bold decision to go into 7mm modelling, so I started to sell off my 4mm stock that I had amassed over the years for a LMR layout that never really got past the planning stage.

It was in November last year that I saw this little beauty screaming out at me on a well known auction site, clue "e-aby", so a cheeky little best offer bid was put in, and behold it was accepted ..... "it's the one in the green box"

post-8721-0-62451200-1418844047.jpg

The blue boxes are a subsequent purchase from Shawn at Easy-build, now I know this site is Western Region biased, so my planned layout is to incorporate a BLT which will be a Welsh themed station supposedly over the border in the Mid Wales area, and there will be a secondary main line station based on a similar plan to Craven Arms so this will tie the two stations together to give a plausible layout theme.

One of my main interests "or unhealthy obsessions" is DMUs or Bog Carts as hey are disparagingly known as, so after my green box purchase I then looked further into Easy-build Kits range and service, and I found Shawn Kay to be one of the most accommodating & helpful chaps that I have ever dealt with in any type of business.

So having now purchased a few more kits from him since, I have now gathered more or less the DMU stock I am going to need for my layout, so this weekend I made a start on the Green box kit ... sorry it's not really a Western Region themed unit in truth, but it is more of a could be seen anywhere'ish unit, so out came the scalpels, drill bits, pin vices and wet & dry emery cloth ...... seen as the green box kit was my first purchase that got me into 7mm, I felt it deserved the respect of being the first victim of my bodging skills ...

So I give you my first 7mm effort ..... a Class 129 ex-parcels unit to become Derby's RTC departments Laboratory 9 "HYDRA" unit.

post-8721-0-18610400-1438446057.jpg

So with yesterdays poor summer weathering continuing where I live "Pwllheli" I made a nice start on the clean up and drilling process, the DB radio had BBC 6 Music playing out in the back ground, and a couple of hours flew by, nothing too exiting to show for my efforts, as the mundane stuff rarely is, but here it is ...

post-8721-0-64532800-1438456989_thumb.jpg

post-8721-0-06519700-1438457006_thumb.jpg

Marker lights have been drilled out to fit directional lighting, and I will be fitting my stock with sound chips also, now if I have offended some the Western fraternity Modellers on here, please bear with me, here is a taster list of what is in the works line:

Class 121 DMBS - to be in blue/grey livery with red valley cab line markings.

Class 121 DTS - this will be a Reading based unit in blue/grey livery on loan to the area to bolster the passenger handling capacities of the 121 DMBS

Class 122 DMBS - to be in rail blue livery with full yellow cab ends, this will be a route learning unit.

Class 116 / 127 hybrid unit - this will be a 3 car unit in blue/grey livery as run by Tyseley depot in the mid 80's, made up from the DMBS & DMS class 116 power cars, which has been upgraded with class 127 DMU centre car, these centre cars where displaced from the Bed/Pan line when it was electrified, Tyseley depot took a number of these cars, fitted them corridor connectors along with the 116 cars, the main upgrade in all this was - the train now had toilets !!!

Class 119 - 3 x car unit in blue / grey livery.

Class 120 - 2 car power twin unit in blue / grey to be modelled as seen running on the Heart of Wales line with extra headlamps in place.

Derby Lightweight car - this will be another RTC unit "Test Coach Iris"

And one or two others are in the pipeline, I just need to drive Shawn mad with more of my lists !!!

Okay that's enough of my waffling for now, thanks for taking time to look in on my WB thread.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Welcome Craig!

I wouldn't worry about not quite hitting the GW/WR theme. I only tangentially meet the basic criterion myself, yet have been welcomed and encouraged by my fellow WTers.

I have a soft spot for the original BR Derby Lightweights - the ones with the bay window fronts - so I will be following your journey with some interest.

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Hello, my name is Craig, and I have lurked around on this great forum for a couple of months or so whilst I was searching information on Class 121 DMBS units, I was lead here by "Simon's G-scale 121 thread".

last year I took the bold decision to go into 7mm modelling,
Hi Craig
Sensible decision!
welcome to WF, some pictures to get things going, all TS units, mixed & matched from 115/6/7 including a 127 TSL

51146 (T402) Kidderminster Sep 88.jpg 51380 (T313) Bettws-y-coed Sept 1988.jpg 53880 (T322) Bettws-y-coed Sept 1988.jpg

Andy

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Yeah spew that clag out ....... what ozone layer ????

Betws y Coed, only a 40 minute or so drive from me, shame there is nothing like this on the line anymore !!!

index.php

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Hi MTH, I have sent a message to the mods to ask if I am in the right area, so it may get moved, but my layout will be based on part GWR and LNWR regions .... so I shall await the decision from the Guys above.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Its already happened Craig, the thread has been moved from Members Area and I've stuck you in WR based on your part GWR / LNWR interests. If you'd like to cosy up to MTH in Area 51 it can be arranged :)
Steve

Western Thunderer
Welcome Craig

Wow!! Superb modelling in that first b/w pic - from the open side window & very realistic crew, to the vegetation and sense of distance on the backscene.... :)

.... oh, wait a minute.... ;)

:)):)):))

p.s. looking good
Glad you got that the right way round !! Lol

:)):)):))

So I give you my first 7mm effort ..... a Class 129 ex-parcels unit to become Derby's RTC departments Laboratory 9 "HYDRA" unit.

post-8721-0-18610400-1438446057.jpg
:thumbs::thumbs:

Derby Lightweight car - this will be another RTC unit "Test Coach Iris"
:thumbs::thumbs:

Loving the RTC units :thumbs::thumbs:.

I have Hydra in my pile to do. Please do a full thread on these builds ?.

Steve :cool:

The Penguin Of Doom

Western Thunderer
Aye up Craig!

looking forward to seeing progress on these. I too used to have a soft spot for them although my memories are all from the NE region. My modelling is from that region too, (although my 7mm efforts reside firmly in Scotland), but folk here seem to like what I do and I'm sure your projects will fit in here just fine too.

That said, I have a half finished 7mm class 45 which would certainly have ventured onto WR metals.

Cheers.

Sean.

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Aye up Craig!

looking forward to seeing progress on these. I too used to have a soft spot for them although my memories are all from the NE region. My modelling is from that region too, (although my 7mm efforts reside firmly in Scotland), but folk here seem to like what I do and I'm sure your projects will fit in here just fine too.

That said, I have a half finished 7mm class 45 which would certainly have ventured onto WR metals.

Cheers.

Sean.

How do Sean, hope you re keeping well ? I keep popping in on your threads to see the progress, have you persuaded the Jocko modellers to have a 131 on the line yet ?

Best regards
Craig.