Nick Dunhill’s workshop building a SECR P class from the Alpha Graphics Kit.

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Just to add a little to the mix - the first two Ps were built with lever reversing gear, retro-fitted with the steam reverser carried by the rest of the class at some early stage. Something Bradley missed.

Phil

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Phil
Just to add a little to the mix - the first two Ps were built with lever reversing gear, retro-fitted with the steam reverser carried by the rest of the class at some early stage. Something Bradley missed.
Yes and no but possibly dependent on your edition, mine is the revised one from 1980, page 34 para 3 "At their first general repair in November 1911 and February 1911, nos 753/4 had the lever reversing removed and replaced by the standard Ashford steam system".

Nick
I heard a story that one of the preserved locos was lent to a different heritage railway and they had the same issue of feebleness and sent it back!
This is one of those canards that has arisen, usually as a result of the poor fireman blaming the locomotive for his lack of skills. I had some experience of 323 and 27 in the summers of 1970/1 and a couple of things should be remembered, they are in common with the LBSC terriers, very small engines and it's very easy to over fire with a detrimental impact on the steam pressure. Similarly the injectors cannot be left on as might be the case with a more modern larger locomotive. They won't go anywhere with a boiler full of water. The quality of coal has an undoubted impact, some 50 years plus ago the Bluebel Railway was using Betteshanger coal, which had a high calorific content and at that time was in large lump size, enabling it to be broken up to an ideal size, modern supplies which are much smaller can again choke the fire from adequate air. Finally the cab is just that bit bigger, three in a P is cosy, three in a Terrier is too close for comfort. Despite their supposed lacking, firing one from Sheffield Park to Horsted Keynes and return with just over 100 tons on the drawbar and not running out of water is a challenge, a lot of crews brought up on big standards can't do it. Wainwright might well not have been in the same class as Stroudley, but Ashford was as good a works as any where else in Edwardian Britain, read the late Richard Hardy on Stewarts Lane D1's. A Kentish man supporting the Men of Kent.:D
Martin

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Thanks Martin. The cover price on the Bradley edition I used says it cost me 13/6d new, so well before 1980, and am I really that old?

I've got a copy of the GAs used for the 1910 locos. I can extract some information if needed.

Phil

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi comrades, does anyone have a decent picture of the steam reverser rodding on top of the tank and inside the cab? It's time to fit the parts up!

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
Another lovely build @Nick Dunhill - what you do without machine tools always amazes me (and tempts me further towards the Senior Scale...).

I'm also learning a lot about the P Class. I'd always assumed - not knowing much about them - that they were as numerous as the Terriers and was surprised to read that there were only eight. I knew that the Festiniog's 1970's new-build double Fairlie Earl of Merioneth used ex-P Class brass dome covers, but I didn't realise it cannibalised 25% of the class!

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
So in the last week or so I have burned through the detail parts of the model. The last structure that had to be made was the backhead. There was a white metal thing in the kit which was approximately the right shape with cast blobs to represent some of the fittings. To be fair the casting was a bit too short and, being white metal, was a bit too thick. I needed to have the volume inside the backhead available in case the space was needed to accommodate the motor. Turns out that the Slater's SG38 gearbox fitted with a Taff Vale 1525 was still too tall for the boiler, so the Taff Vale worm and gear gearbox is now fitted.

52766176357_08f12f239f_b.jpg

Lots of the backhead fittings are from a Laurie Griffin set, as is the steam reverser. Everything is dtachable for paint.

52766714216_7a21e06852_b.jpg

52767202593_afd95ca8b7_b.jpg

Theres more pics here nick dunhill

The bodywork is virtually done and just about within budget, so I think were ON for a bit of inside motion activity! The client would like all the push-pull fittings included so if anyone has any insight into what was there I'd be grateful.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Nick,
With the benefit of hindsight, would you consider this one to have been easier/quicker/cheaper to scratch build?

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob
It kinda was scratchbuilt. Found myself wishing I'd ditched some of the other parts such as the footplate as it required constant modifications as I went on. Problem is once you go off piste nothing fits....when I say off piste I mean following the GA.

I have enjoyed buying it, but it must be a bit stressful for the client as the bill reaches eye watering levels.

Nick

Attachments

• 20230322_111602.jpg
    20230322_111602.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 23

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Nick

As I'll probably have to construct a replacement backhead on my 7mm Crosti 9f I'd be interested to hear how you went about this on the P Class. Did you you use much thicker metal do that you could then round the edges off whilst still leaving a decent bit of metal in place?

Cheers
Mike

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike.
I made the front (rear?) backplate out of 0.45 mm brass and embossed all the stay heads and washout plugs. I made the surround sides from a strip of suitable width, and bent it carefully to the shape of the back plate. I tacked the 2 together and then bent a length of 0.95 mm copper wire to fit round the join. I generously soldered everything together and formed the curve round the edge.
Nick

Attachments

• 16797543555445360167003183002066.jpg
    16797543555445360167003183002066.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 33

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Due to rain I put a bit of a shift in at the wekend and managed to finish the brake gear and sander stuff. There's brake hangers and shoes in the kit but nothing else of any use, so most of it is castings sourced elsewhere (LGM mainly) and scratchbuilt stuff.

52774988527_ccb91a8eb4_b.jpg

There was enough cash in the budget to build the inside motion and I bought one of Laurie's Stephenson kits. One for an LSWR loco was the nearest, but horror of horrors lots of the castings were much too big for such a small loco.

A process of miniaturisation has begun.

52775779574_e9d348c11d_b.jpg

I new the shrinking-raygun would come in useful.

52776007628_a9baffba4a_b.jpg

This will be my challenge for tomorrow, the crank webs/journals were waaay too big so I reshaped them and drilled them for a new 3.0 mm big end journal. What could possibly go wrong with that?

52775525946_fa6254eded_b.jpg

52776007583_95dfd90626_b.jpg

52774994712_2ec2660174_b.jpg

I'm probably going to have to make a pair of con rods too. Hope there's some left over etches from something else to get me going.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Nick, sterling work on the main crankshaft and connections, did you soft solder the the crankshaft assembly?
Michael

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike.
I made the front (rear?) backplate out of 0.45 mm brass and embossed all the stay heads and washout plugs. I made the surround sides from a strip of suitable width, and bent it carefully to the shape of the back plate. I tacked the 2 together and then bent a length of 0.95 mm copper wire to fit round the join. I generously soldered everything together and formed the curve round the edge.
Nick
Thanks Nick. :thumbs:

Mike

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Nick.

An absolutely jaw dropping build.

Can I ask, do you know what the likely livery is for this little chap ?

Rob