7mm On Heather's workbench - a trio of JLTRT Mk2s

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
No need for compromise when you can have it JLTRT!

View attachment 17198

Note the centre transverse partition is finished in a black vynide type material....

Bob.

That is very useful. Very useful indeed. (Hits Print.)

Aside from the headrest "wings" on show there, the kit seats are close enough. Not sure how I'm going to reproduce the check pattern, mind. :confused:

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

Unsure of the exact date - it was given to me as a video still from, I think not much later than 75 - certainly nothing much has changed since it was built so it's pre-any kind of refurbisment....

Bob

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Heather, you could spray the lighter colour through a mesh over the darker background. I have done it for the Mk2f's but the pattern was somewhat easier!

Since this was taken I bit the bullet and split the 4-seats into two pairs more correct for the 2f's without the centre panel....

2f dbso seats.jpg

Bob.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Heather, you could spray the lighter colour through a mesh over the darker background. I have done it for the Mk2f's but the pattern was somewhat easier!

That's a thought. Bearing in mind it only needs to be an impression of a pattern, rather than a truly exact reproduction at scale, I may experiment with dry brushing first. A nice wide flat brush may do the trick.

Setting up for spraying is a palaver round here, as Best Beloved won't let me do it in the house! Although our loft workshop is insulated and fitted out, it isn't heated, which makes for iffy spraying at the best of times. :(

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Bob

You might be able to help us with this. We want to get some transfers made up for the lettering on the back of the coaches and the side panels near the doors, do you know what the words actually say ?

mk2 trans (4 of 2).jpg

mk2 trans (5 of 2).jpg

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
There was a "standard" line by line sequence - though individual works seemed to vary from the script quite frequently! Basically it should (below the vehicle type) give the S.P. (next Shopping proposal) Date, and below that the last 4? works overhauls - each having the type of overhaul C1-C3 usually, the date completed i.e. nn-dd/yy, and the works done at by the works code. I've a generic drawing showing the pattern somewhere for Mk2's which I'll dig out.

Those are PPM (Planned Preventatiive Maintenance) panels rather crudely stencilled on the side - they were (relatively short lived) and crudely stencilled on by some of the Regional M&EE's giving various exam dates etc. I've no idea (at least I can't remember) what one would typically show!

I'll come back with the end details - soon!

Bob.

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

It's not the drawing I was expecting to find however I'll include for completeness. This was the "suggested" layout (post 85') for a DBSO - which as I said varied quite a bit from works to works.....

af2f.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for the other drawings....

A small extract from a Flickr photo - shows the earlier but similar arrangement;

2cso.jpg

Bob.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
That is very useful. Very useful indeed. (Hits Print.)

Aside from the headrest "wings" on show there, the kit seats are close enough. Not sure how I'm going to reproduce the check pattern, mind. :confused:

Simples Heather,

Spray the seat all over blue. Then buy some etched mesh pattern like this to use as a paint mask over the top of the dark blue. Spray black and then you have it with prototypical pattern. HTH

Cheers

Tom

EDIT - WHOOPS JUST NOTICED BOB ALREAD POSTED THIS IDEA. NOTE TO SELF - MUST READ TO END OF THREAD BEFORE POSTING:bowdown:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Simples Heather

I know. I try to hide it most of the time. :p

Based on Bob's earlier interior shot, I'm currently experimenting with painting the seats the lighter colour first for the check lines, then using the mask to apply the dark blue for the squares. It sort of works, but my impatience got the better of me. Must let paint dry thoroughly before overpainting!

I have to remember that at best I'm aiming for an impression of the pattern, as a true scale replica is a) all but impossible and b) all but invisible once within the bodyshell.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have to remember that at best I'm aiming for an impression of the pattern, as a true scale replica is a) all but impossible and b) all but invisible once within the bodyshell.
Undoubtedly true.

Some years back I was allowed to photograph a roll of new moquette which was destined for the GWR Steam Railmotor. The cloth is to the "White Star" pattern and features a white pattern on a chocolate background. The photo looked reasonable so I scaled the image for 7mm and sent the result to the printer. Even at best quality print option the colour on the paper was..... yellow-green sludge :oops: . Got to prove something, not sure what though :confused:.

regards, Graham

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
One way of painting seats i have found, although not perfect, is to spray the base colour then using some fine mesh as a mask shaped over the seat, spray the patern colour. The result is a fine chequered appearance. Once inside the coach they look the part.

Warren

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
spray the patern colour

Cheers Warren! That's what everyone has suggested so far. ;)

My problems are I don't have a dedicated spraybooth area (despite numerous attempts to persuade Best Beloved it would be a good idea), and I dislike setting things up to spray such small items. While it may be quicker overall, it's a lot of faff and mess when drybrushing is more therapeutic in my view.