7mm On Heather's Workbench - another Broad Gauge journey

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I have no idea as to the broad gauge stock so please let us all know.

I have no clue, and I haven't found any references at this point. My gut feeling is whatever was done on the narrow gauge stock was what was done on the broad gauge stock. Overall change was quite slow in the Dean period, despite innovations such as gangways and gas lighting.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

First blush with the bow pen and gold paint for the lining. I'm either getting better at it or things just worked properly today!

image.jpg

Yesterday I did a bit of graining/scumbling on the compartment walls, and started getting paint on the door ventilators. These will get a brown line on each louvre.

I don't think it'll be long before I'm into transfers and glazing. Eek!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Sometimes, your luck is in. Let me explain.

When this kit was delivered it contained a Broad Gauge Society data sheet covering the essential details of the coach in question. Unfortunately, it was for the narrow bodied variant, but I didn't think any more of it. Most of the rest of the info was adequate for my needs.

Of course, now I come to think about the transfers I find I need some suitable running numbers. The data sheet being the wrong diagram - U21 - meant I didn't have suitable numbers. The answer is, obviously, to get the right data sheet for the U20. The BGS has a large collection of data sheets on all kinds of things, including many of the passenger vehicles I shall be expected to build. I plan to get the relevant data sheet pack, but it probably wouldn't arrive in time for me to complete the model for Telford.

While I was browsing the BGS web site data sheet page, I rolled the mouse over the thumbnail image - and lo! It turned out to be the U20 diagram!

Now I have the range of numbers I need, and information that I was missing, such as there was actually a lamp fitted over the luggage compartment.

Serendipity. You can't beat it.

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
This crop are from S&D Models. The fashions are actually more like the 1900s than the 1885-1890 period I need but they're the best I can find at the moment.