On My Virtual Workbench...

GER 1½ton Crane
  • S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
    GER 1½ton Crane

I thought I'd revive this thread with my latest design intended in the first instance for the revised goods yard at Love Lane.

The first seven components (3d-printed in "Siraya Tech Fast Navy Grey" resin by Robin @Boyblunder) assembled by yours truly.
    IMG_20221029_142545.jpg
    IMG_20221029_142603.jpg
    Really pleased with the level of detail that Robin has managed to print (the sub-1mm text is perfectly legible) although the support structure (think of sprues) does leave some surface damage which requires more careful rectification next time. And yes, the gears do work as should the ratchet and pawl once they're added.

Meanwhile I've been drawing some more bits for it; about two-thirds of the way there now.
    00 GER 1½t Yard Crane rhs.jpg00 GER 1½t Yard Crane lhs.jpg
    Some dimensional compromises have been required to ensure printability and sufficient robustness during assembly although actually getting it to work may be pushing the technology a little bit too far...

Dimensions from Great Eastern Railway Society Journals 158 & 159. Originals by The Chatteris Engineering Works, Cambridgeshire, England, 1898.

Last edited: