Panel beating in 7mm scale

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Overseer posted this photo of a panel-beaten Morris Cowley in Michael Mott's Penrhyn Loco No5 build thread.
Now that's the kind of panel beating that anyone could do! :D

Russell Canardly 2.jpg

Last week I acquired a roll of 30 micron foil tape with a view to experimenting with making overlays on, for example, a moulded or cast truck mudguard, and then gently distressing the surface in order to give a similar effect to that shown on the wings of the 3ft gauge Morris.
The act of moulding the foil to the profile should generate adequate damage effects without having to go overboard on extra vandalism.

I suspect the adhesive backing might be an issue, making the material too stiff to mould and more prone to creasing - perhaps better to use plain foil that could later be stuck to the base wing?
It may be that the overlay thus created is strong enough to use on its own, which would give a nice delicate scale appearance at exposed edges.

Has anyone tried this technique?

30mic foil.jpg

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Overseer posted this photo of a panel-beaten Morris Cowley in Michael Mott's Penrhyn Loco No5 build thread.
Now that's the kind of panel beating that anyone could do! :D

View attachment 156560

Last week I acquired a roll of 30 micron foil tape with a view to experimenting with making overlays on, for example, a moulded or cast truck mudguard, and then gently distressing the surface in order to give a similar effect to that shown on the wings of the 3ft gauge Morris.
The act of moulding the foil to the profile should generate adequate damage effects without having to go overboard on extra vandalism.

I suspect the adhesive backing might be an issue, making the material too stiff to mould and more prone to creasing - perhaps better to use plain foil that could later be stuck to the base wing?
It may be that the overlay thus created is strong enough to use on its own, which would give a nice delicate scale appearance at exposed edges.

Has anyone tried this technique?

View attachment 156561
It might be easier to just beat thin copper or gilding metal (high copper content brass) over formers to the shapes required. Or make mini press tools and press form it to shape.
cuelec.jpg
ps. didn't think many people had the Haut book. Mine is a 1970 US edition, bought while I was still in primary school so it must have been cheap enough for the paper round to pay for it.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Thanks Oversser.
My thought here was to use a very pliable foil material in order to be able to use for example a relatively fragile resin or whitemetal casting supplied with a kit as the former instead of having to make up a solid former of the type required for conventional panel beating.
I thought the action of working of the foil into the shape might impart the exact kind of panel markings/damage typically present on older vehicles.