Re: Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

CME & Bottlewasher said:
...... reminds me of Starsky and Hutch, Terminator et al.

that's probably where the idea came from, as a kid nearly every American TV show seemed to have storm drains and a chase ! All I need now is Arnie on a motorbike !

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Nice work :wave:

Great Storm Drains BTW ...... reminds me of Starsky and Hutch, Terminator et al. COOL :bowdown: :thumbs:

I could get into the american scene, whoops, wash my mouth out - I'll get me coat!

CME :scratch:
Watch it it's a progressive illness sneakes up on  you then wham!!!

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

I have to say I don't really like the "as it comes" colour of peco track, made worse by using recycled point work that has a different colour. So having soldered all the wire links in place I let loose with the Railmatch "Frame dirt"

SDC17938.jpg

SDC17945.jpg

Track wired and painted called for a bit of running, with a couple of shots...

Caught this train leaving town

SDC17956.jpg

It had to slow to cross the street at the end of town

SDC17959.jpg

With a crewman stopping traffic, it proceeded slowly across the road

SDC17962.jpg

Then off

SDC17952.jpg

I know, lots of scenery to add to finish the illusion but I can see it in my mind ;)

John

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Nice work John :bowdown: :thumbs: but those workmen travel a bit scotland and now somewhere in the states :))

Rob :wave:

S

Simon Dunkley

Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr said:
that's probably where the idea came from, as a kid nearly every American TV show seemed to have storm drains and a chase ! All I need now is Arnie on a motorbike !
No, no, no, nonononono no.

Very large ants.

Them's what you need... ;)

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

My layout seems to be a game of two halves, to borrow a metaphor from other peoples hobby. Work has mainly concentrated on the industrial town side or the right hand side of the shed. Last night I set to with some more vinyl tiles and some ballast.

How the evening started

SDC17965.jpg

Having read Octobers Railroad Modeller there is and interesting article at the back about freight yards that have roadways between every other track, so I thought that would make a nice contrast to the team track on the "other side" of the shed.

SDC17967.jpg

This next shot shows how the underside of the tile is pared away to clear the rail chairs

SDC17966.jpg

Ballast added but not glued

SDC17968.jpg

PVA / Water added along with some weeds..

SDC17972.jpg

I'm not sure about the building, its recycled from a previous On30 layout on which it looked small, it may look to big / tall here?

SDC17974.jpg

John

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr said:
I'm not sure about the building, its recycled from a previous On30 layout on which it looked small, it may look to big / tall here?
It's not too tall. It just needs the billboard changing/removing, and more importantly, making the cladding sheets look smaller (i.e. more joints), as they are each sheet looks taller than a boxcar; that is what's throwing out the proportions.

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Every now and again something unexpected goes wrong !!! In this case the PVA / Water for the ballast had found a joint in the MDF.  Which caused the edges on both sides of the joint to swell.

SDC17981.jpg

The joint runs back to just behind the points which resulted in them lifting, all the track work was on the same level, not any more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDC17980.jpg

Luckily every thing had risen evenly which means stock can no longer unexpectedly roll out of the spurs :) everything runs well over it and its quite a gradual change.

So it staying as it is.

In general though the ballasting has gone well.

SDC17990.jpg

SDC17983.jpg

SDC17985.jpg

SDC17992.jpg

John

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

I like the positioning of the stock (more like playing with the stock) it's becoming very atmospheric and realistic.

Ian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr said:
... all the track work was on the same level, not any more !!!
... stock can no longer unexpectedly roll out of the spurs :) everything runs well over it and its quite a gradual change.

So it staying as it is.
Sounds just like real secondary American track to me !! Let us know when you can get your track looking like it does as discussed in this thread... :drool: :thumbs: :D

Do I spy cunning use of a mirror in those pics ?! :bowdown:

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Yes the mirror was a test for this...................

This afternoon I set to work on the building at the end of the downtown side of the layout. The plan was to make the straight track look like it carries on through the buildings,  using a mirror. I will let you decide if it works ! I got a bit carried away a built more and more.

The mirror needed packing to get it square on to the rails.

amirror.jpg

Then I built the low relief building across the two forward tracks, with a corridor connection to hide the mirror top.

cmirror.jpg

gmirror.jpg

hmirror.jpg

With the lines looking straight in the mirror, I can now pose a shot with one loco looking like a 2 loco pair.

bmirror.jpg

Next job, reclad the end of the recycled building and start a truck loading bay

dmirror.jpg

Then build the units to sit on the loading bay, I was on a roll by this point

emirror.jpg

Stuck in place

fmirror.jpg

To give an overall view ...

imirror.jpg

Finally a staged shot ( I confess to use soem photo stacking software to get the depth of field in this last one)

plant.jpg

John

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

hi John

your rail road is looking good and yes a nice touch with the mirror effect i used one on Dan Y Graig under the bridge it looked so realistic that friends thought that i had cut a hole into the next room also i had to remind them when running a train  up the branch . i ve got an image but i blew it as one can see the camera in the reflection and the track looks like its DARK SIDE  :'(

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

uhh more images as i posted . yes i agree you are on a roll ,isnt placky card a great medium to work with, top work :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

You're nearly up to your usual modelling speed again, John!! :D ;)

Just one teeny-weeny point, seen with my truck driver's head on...
Access to your loading bays was better here in this pic;
dmirror.jpg

than it is in this pic, where you've given depth to the building, losing road space...
imirror.jpg

As things are now, put a truck on the left-hand bay, and trucks won't be able to get on or off the middle and right-hand bays... :scratch: :headbang:
The fact that truckers will have to reverse onto them blind-side (being left-hand drive) will just be a test of their skill... :thumbs:

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

you are of course right Jordan, as always life is a series of compromises though, I think there are more non truck drivers then otherwise so hopefully my thought that the building looks better with some depth at the expense of turning space will balance out the view?! The driver can always get stuck taking his front wheel onto the gravel  ;D

John

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

Looks good matey I like the mirror idea you could do with some sort of stop sign though as I have visions of an over exuberant operator speeding up that road.

Ian

Edit due to mispelling of the word speeding

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr said:
...I think there are more non truck drivers then otherwise so hopefully my thought that the building looks better with some depth at the expense of turning space will balance out the view?! ...
Oh of course...  I confess it took me several squints at the pics to work out where the turning room had gone between the two - then it dawned on me that the building was deeper!! I do tend to look at how & where road vehicles are placed, and the places they're meant to get into, whereas most other modellers wouldn't notice!!
Overall the impression of the whole yard is excellent, and once gain I am left feeling guilty at the slow progress I am making with my own projects..!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:wave:

rjr

Western Thunderer
Some light weathering

Every thing had a light wash of a sandy colour (Humbrol enamel heavily diluted with white spirit) to start the weathering process

SDC18071.jpg

SDC18066.jpg

longshot.jpg

endshot.jpg

caboose.jpg

John

rjr

Western Thunderer
ditch lights

You may or may not have noticed that last nights weathering did not include any locos, thats because the plans include fitting ditch lights and i decided any mods would be easier to disguise with the weathering.

I ordered some Surface mount LEDs from Express models at the weekend and they arrived today. At first when i opened the packet, saw the resistors and then wondered were the LEDs were, all they had sent was a black plastic strip???

SDC18074.jpg

Then I realised that was the packing and it had six LEDs in it !!!!!!!! you may have missed the loose one in the last picture so I have circled it in red in the next picture

SDC18073.jpg

Solder that, "your having a giraffe!" But as you can see from the loco behind the story does have a "happy ending"

but I set to work, a tiny piece of PCB was found a cut made across the middle and the LED soldered on to to tinned blobs either side of the cut, at least I had somewhere to solder the wires now.

Resistor legs were used as LED connections and taken through the body to easier to handle wires behind.

SDC18072.jpg

Both were then connected to the common and the green decoder wires so they come on as function 1 (headlight is function 0)

As you can imagine its hard to decide which side of the LED is positive so it was a bit  of trial and error.

Body back together and onto the track with some grey touch up paint

SDC18079.jpg

Some weathering and Hoses should hide the colour mismatch in the greys. Possibly some filler to square up the lamp housings.

The big moment, switch on, you would expect them to be a bit tame given the size...............

SDC18077.jpg

There must be a CV even on a Hornby decoder to get function output 1 to flash, but that's a job for another day

John