7mm Ressaldar's working diorama - Pembury

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
As a diversion to having the prostate problem on my mind, I decided that a BLT layout would be in order and to make things different, I would do it in 4mm. So I sat myself at he laptop and opened AnyRail and had a play for a couple of days with various ideas and eventually settled on a design. The location for this new layout was to be on the opposite side of the workshop to the O Gauge layout and would require some planning, especially as the fiddle yard would be slap bang over the current (but unused for quite a while) workbench, also that a large wall cupboard would need relocating.

However, the best laid plans........................... the 4mm idea was thrown into touch and a much simplified 7mm working diorama evolved

The workbench problem was soon resolved as there is a worktop which spans the width of the workshop located immediately behind the front door and sits on top of two side by side cupboard units. The idea was that the new layout would bear down on the worktop and then be supported by the relocated wall cupboard which would have suitable bearing struts screwed on to take the width on the layout. The only restriction was that there is a one brick wide pier that had to be negotiated/incorporated into the design, resulting in this working diorama plan…………………

Malpas O sector plank 05.05.23.jpg

The baseboards are now completed and the track has been laid on the scenic board

IMG_1158.jpg

with wiring to follow in the next few days, certainly before next Monday which marks the start of my radiotherapy, so there is the possibility of no meaningful work being done for the next four weeks – we shall see.

regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Mike,

thinking of you re the radiotherapy. A pal of mine had the same treatment a few months back, has just had the “six months all clear”, the PSA levels are very good. He was certainly a bit tired and fed up during the treatment, but was far from unable to do anything, was still out and about.

I hope things are similar for you, fingers crossed It’ll go well.

all the best

Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon and Bob,

many thanks for your kind words and good wishes, they are much appreciated.

I had hoped to start on the wiring this afternoon, but I now have a problem with my Heljan GWR Railcar that I need to fix so that it can run at our Open Day on Sunday - the motor bogie seems to have somehow slipped its fixing point, causing that end of the coach to ride about 3mm high.

kind regards

Mike

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Mike I have just discovered that you are having radiotherapy for prostate cancer, having recently had the same treatment myself at the Clatterbridge Cancer Centre, and I am sure they will soon have you back on your feet. I'm now eighteen months into my treatment. my PSA has dropped to 0.2 and all is going well. You will soon get used to the daily visits for your radiotherapy, as for modelling well it certainly helped take my mind of things. I also joined an online support group whilst having my treatment which helped me no end, if I can help you then please feel free to drop me a PM

Being a fan of the less is more school of thought I like your layout plan, it is surprising how a simple working diorama can give so much pleasure, I've been developing my own for over two years now and still have plenty of work to do.

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Geoff

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Geoff,

many thanks for the kind words and the encouragement, they are much appreciated. Not had a PSA blood check since the original one - reading 7.7, up from 1.8 four years earlier, so it will be interesting to see a new reading.

Some more progress today in as much as the droppers were fitted and the board then stood on its edge and the two Tortoise point motors fitted, hopefully the red/black wires are on the correct terminals, all will be revealed tomorrow!

As the two layouts are relatively close, I will control both from the one Digitrax box via a DPDT switch and ensure that I do not change layouts in mid stream while there is movement on the one that had been in use. Individual command centres may appear in time, depending on how finances go, especially as there are some real goodies due in the not too distant future -Class 3MT tank from Lionheart and Classes 58 and 73 from Heljan and maybe a B4 from Dapol to join 30102 (if it ever gets finished) and also some coaches and wagons might come in handy as well.

Kind regards and best wishes for your continuing recovery.

Mike

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Good to learn that you are still making progress on your layout Mike. As regards PSA readings, if I remember correctly I wasn't tested again until three months after my radiotherapy ended.

Take care,
Geoff

Alan

Western Thunderer
I hope your trearment is as successful as it appears to have been for Geoff.

I like the pans for the new layout.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Craig, Alan and Michael,

many thanks for the good wishes, much appreciated.

The main thing on my mind now is - which alternative method of connecting the droppers to the bus bar to I go for........................
decision time tomorrow!

kind regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Not a lot of progress, but the points are now operational and the track wired to the busbar using snap lock connectors and it is live upto the cassette board.

IMG_1167.jpg

I have installed large DPDT switch on the table on the other side of the workshop so that I can choose which of the two layouts I wish to power up. The control panel is for the point motors on Craxton.

IMG_1168.jpg

Here is the current state of play on Pembury, with the construction of the platform underway, the surface is just resting on the base here, with the base for the support of the back of the station building yet to have its top offered up. The incoming power cable coming up from the bottom centre with the feed to the cassette board adjacent double pin chocolate block to the left. The backboard is 5mm foamboard from Hobbycraft, I am still considering what background scene to go for.

IMG_1169.jpg

Close up of the far end of the track showing the incoming feed to the point motors with the control DPDT switch just to the left. The coal stage and water tower are still to be pit in their final position and the water tower will need to be on a base to bring the delivery spout to a level that will clear the top of loco side tanks.

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

Gratuitous shots of my latest acquisition, the delightful Dapol Adams B4 awaiting its YouChoos Zimo sound decoder which is due on Monday.

I have the station building, platform signal box and a small yard shed to start once the platform is completed, All of these items are from Laser Cut Railway Models and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into them.

regards

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike

I've been thinking of buying the Dapol B4 as well. Do you have any pictures of the underside of your B4? The reason I ask is that I'd have to have mine converted to Scaleseven and I'm a bit concerned about clearance between the valve gear and coupling rods.

All the best
Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike

I've been thinking of buying the Dapol B4 as well. Do you have any pictures of the underside of your B4? The reason I ask is that I'd have to have mine converted to Scaleseven and I'm a bit concerned about clearance between the valve gear and coupling rods.

All the best
Mike

Hi Mike,

Here is the best I can do, hope that they are of use to you:

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

cheers

Mike

Marsh Lane

Western Thunderer
What a superb loco the B4 tank is. Lovely. Also loving the progress with your layout Mike, all the best with your health concerns.

I have a couple of Dapol and Minerva 5700 panniers that I am trying to come up with a 'working diorama' for, although like many of us, the emphasis seems to be more on working than diorama!!

Rich

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rich,

many thanks for your kind comments and good wishes.

I have glued the platform sections together today and will take some photos tomorrow when the weights etc are removed.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
The platform is now assembled and awaiting painting, so a start has been made on the structures - the lineside hut is complete and awaiting painting and a start has been made on the signal box but has come to a shuddering halt as I want to paint various elements prior to fixing (as advised in the instructions) but have discovered that I do not have the light and dark stone in stock. I would have preferred acrylic but Railmatch only do these colours in enamel, so they have been ordered.

So a trial mock-up of preferred position for the signal box -

IMG_1180.jpg

off the end of the platform or

IMG_1181.jpg

on the platform - I think this is preferred as I will be put a scenic break bridge over the tracks at the left hand end of the first photo and by placing it on the platform it gives the signalman a better sight of the approaching train on the other side of the bridge. The baseplate for the station building is placed in rough position to see how it fits

IMG_1182.jpg

Here is the 'shed' end of the platform with the water tower in loose position

IMG_1183.jpg

Overall shot of the station with the lineside hut at the end of the siding.

comments welcome

regards

Mike

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

Just a quick comment, I personally think the signal box looks better on the platform, and better sighting for the Bobbie.

Martyn.