7mm Road Vehicles

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Not sure it gives enough info, but might be enough fo a clue on how far back stuff sits?

Jon, That's perfect for what I need! :) T45 must have had the same basic underframe layout. Adjusting the levels in Photoshop has brought out plenty of detail to see where things sit relative to each other.

Brilliant, thank you! :thumbs::thumbs:

Colin

Western Thunderer
Jon, That's perfect for what I need! :) T45 must have had the same basic underframe layout. Adjusting the levels in Photoshop has brought out plenty of detail to see where things sit relative to each other.

Colin

So does that mean detailed pics of the underframe of yours, Colin, will make it on here ?. Please say yes ?. ;). Im thinking of purchasing one now.

Steve :cool:

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer

Colin

Pleasure, actually I think the stunt truck is a genuine roadrunner and not a T45 which was, iirc, the big unit. I think the team just took the big truck's name?

I seem to remember seeing the roadrunner on two wheels on a tv show, many years ago.

Found it, TV ad: http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/re-the-toughest-truck-on#.UUZCN4wgGSM

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Pleasure, actually I think the stunt truck is a genuine roadrunner and not a T45 which was, iirc, the big unit. I think the team just took the big truck's name?

I seem to remember seeing the roadrunner on two wheels on a tv show, many years ago.

Found it, TV ad: http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/re-the-toughest-truck-on#.UUZCN4wgGSM

T45 was the Leyland/DAF follow up to the Roadrunner. It didn't have the low screen on the passenger side. I don't recal ever driving one, but other than the newer cab styling and a very different air filter arrangement, I can't see that much has changed.

Great advert. I remember how swimmy the steering got when one of the paired rear tyres punctured. Pretty impressive to balance one on two wheels!

So does that mean detailed pics of the underframe of yours, Colin, will make it on here ?. Please say yes ?. ;). Im thinking of purchasing one now.

LOL, not sure if you might be disapointed, but I'll take chassis shots before the rear body is glued on. I'm trying to include anything that would be visible externally, header tank, air filter, prop, exhaust, rear springs, battery etc.

I thought this would be a "quickie" interlude model. It's taking far longer than I imagined!

Colin

Western Thunderer
Hi Colin,

Any pics would be a great help, not only for me, but for others thinking of doing one :thumbs:

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Not much progress to report. As ever, work is rudely intruding into my modelling time. :headbang:

Here's a couple of bits I have managed to get done.

I think I should call this installment "Pointless Modelling", as I suspect none of it is going to be very visible inside a dark enclosed space! ...But at least I've enjoyed making it! :confused:

006e2.jpg
(The missing rearward facing bench seat is attached to the body shell).

005e.jpg

003e.jpg
Cruel enlargements, (sorry about poor macro focus). A wall mounted Metal first aid case and an AFFF fire extinguisher. (Interestingly, they contained a water based foam, but were passed for use on electrical fires. A spinning brass nozzel atomised the water preventing short ciruits. They were all the rage during the late 80's).

001e.jpg
Early style Hi-Vis coat, to be hung on wall mounted coat hooks, fashioned out of paper.

Hopefully more substantial progress will follow soon...

Colin

Western Thunderer
Not much progress to report. As ever, work is rudely intruding into my modelling time. :headbang:

Here's a couple of bits I have managed to get done.

I think I should call this installment "Pointless Modelling", as I suspect none of it is going to be very visible inside a dark enclosed space! ...But at least I've enjoyed making it! :confused:

View attachment 19550
(The missing rearward facing bench seat is attached to the body shell).

View attachment 19549

View attachment 19548
Cruel enlargements, (sorry about poor macro focus). A wall mounted Metal first aid case and an AFFF fire extinguisher. (Interestingly, they contained a water based foam, but were passed for use on electrical fires. A spinning brass nozzel atomised the water preventing short ciruits. They were all the rage during the late 80's).

View attachment 19547
Early style Hi-Vis coat, to be hung on wall mounted coat hooks, fashioned out of paper.

Hopefully more substantial progress will follow soon...

Colin

Hi Colin :thumbs:

Where are the 'bits & pieces' from ?. :eek:

Really like them, Who cares if you cant see them, You know they are there & what a brilliant job youve made of them :thumbs::thumbs:

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Hi Colin :thumbs:

Where are the 'bits & pieces' from ?. :eek:

Really like them, Who cares if you cant see them, You know they are there & what a brilliant job youve made of them :thumbs::thumbs:

Steve,

Thank you for your kind comments. :thumbs:

Everything apart from the newspaper is made from scratch. Just whittled from scraps of styrene and various bits of wire. The coat pieces were cut from thickish paper (the back of an old envelope... I finally found a good use for gas bills!) , then rolled, glued and painted.

Newspaper is by "John Phipps, from Gloucestershire". Awesome quality! (No idea if he is still producing them; I've had them for a while. They are printed on glossy photo-paper. You get about 12 on a sheet. Just pva glue it to a piece of styrene and then cut out with a sharp scalpel blade).

Colin

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Superb Colin:thumbs: I really like those mugs and the kettle, what did you make them from?

Thanks Rob,

The mugs are cut from the rubbery outer insulation of a bit of wire and handles are a single strand of thin wire pushed into drilled locating holes. Looking at the big photo enlargement I'm a bit disapointed with squareness (or lack of it) of my cutting. But it doesn't notice in the real size. They are a gnats under 3mm tall.

The kettle body was turned in a mini-drill chuck from a piece of rod. Then just added a shaped spout and wire handle.

C.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The 1/43 Ford Thames offerings from Goodsyard and IXO (the basis of the red r/c truck) make an interesting comparison.

One has superb glazing and decidedly dodgy wheels, the other has decidedly dodgy glazing and superb wheels :rolleyes:

Ford Thames 1.jpgFord Thames 2.jpgFord Thames 3.jpgFord Thames 4.jpgFord Thames 5.jpgFord Thames 6.jpgFord Thames 7.jpg