4mm Ruyton Road revival

paulhb

Hi Paul
May I ask for a view from the front and both ends please? I know this may interrupt "playing trains" (sorry!) but it is a very lovely achievable model. I like the little station building and light railway platform.
Thank you
Julian

Hi Julian,

No problem. Here are some general shots from different viewpoints. Unfortunately it's a tad difficult to get behind the layout to take a better picture of the front of the station. At some stage I will turn the layout around to get some different views. The station building itself built by John Spencer was based on the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire station at Llanymynech and was intended for a previous OO layout so I estimate it must be about 40 years old.

Regards Paul

2.8.22 (2).jpeg

2.8.22 (5).jpeg

2.8.22 (4).jpeg

2.8.22 (3).jpeg

2.8.22 (1).jpeg

paulhb

As a diversion from working on Ruyton I have built an item of stock that is authentic to the S&MR. A Midland Railway 4 wheel passenger van that was one of the original items that went to the line when it reopened in 1911. The origin is a 51L etched kit that had been lurking in the unbuilt pile for yonks. I have sprung as opposed to compensated and it has passed playing trials in that it hasn't fallen off yet. Now moved to the painting queue.

MR PBV.jpeg

MR PBV (1).jpeg

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,

The Sentinel is an RT Models kit which does go together very well. The kit chassis has in built compensation with both axles driven and I’m very happy with it’s running.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, the chassis design is very nice - I built one of the post-war versions a while ago and that has space for a flywheel which is is surprisingly effective. There's a thread somewhere describing it (and its larger brethren - I rather like Sentinels), but here's a snap of it. Lovely to see that Ruyton Road continues, by the way, it was an old friend from the SW exhibition circuit and looks to be in very good hands.

Sentinel_051.jpg

All best,

Adam

EDIT - here's the thread I mentioned: 4mm - The Sentinel (and derivatives) in EM

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Yes, the chassis design is very nice - I built one of the post-war versions a while ago and that has space for a flywheel which is is surprisingly effective. There's a thread somewhere describing it (and its larger brethren - I rather like Sentinels), but here's a snap of it. Lovely to see that Ruyton Road continues, by the way, it was an old friend from the SW exhibition circuit and looks to be in very good hands.

View attachment 180924

All best,

Adam
Lovely lunchbox. I love this type of Sentinel too.

paulhb

Hi Paul,

View attachment 180924

All best,

Adam

Thank you and that’s a fine looking beast!

Regards

Paul

Reactions: AJC

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul
I enjoyed reading about your layout,
The Colours that you have painted the sleepers with make them look so real just like aged Red gum, well done.
David.

paulhb

Hi Paul
I enjoyed reading about your layout,
The Colours that you have painted the sleepers with make them look so real just like aged Red gum, well done.
David.
Thank you David. The sleepers are ply, coloured using Winsor and Newton Promarker inks, Cool grey and Caramel although there are a number of browns and greys that can be used. The different pens mix well and the density of colour will depend on the number of layers. They are double ended so you get a fine nib and a broad chisel.

Regards

Paul

Promarker Pens.jpeg

Last edited:

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul
I have never heard of those Promarker ink pens, and I doubt whether I will colour my sleepers individually just to many to do
however its nice to know about them as I will probably have timber items to colour once I start on the modelling side of things and they
will certainly be what I will use.
David.

steve50

Western Thunderer
Great to see some more photos :) I always think about ''what if'' when I see this layout, a Railbus and an 03/04 always spring to mind!