Scale 7, Albury Spring Meeting 27th April 2024

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
I'm sorry to report that Intentio will not be at Albury tomorrow due some personal problems.

John

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
The dust has settled, everyone who came seemed to enjoy themselves and meeting old friends.

At the end we found a pair of black leather gloves with a blue trim at the wrist. Please PM me and tell me where I should send them.

Hopefully a few pictures later.

John

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
A good enjoyable day at Albury and thanks to all who contributed especially Janet on catering duties.
Also many thanks to S7 members who increased my wheel turning and RTR conversion work queue, the culprits know who they are ! :D :))

And if you visited Love Lane I hope you enjoyed seeing the alterations and work that has been and still is on going by our S7 area group for whom we have to thank John and Janet Birch for opening up their home to facilitate this. :thumbs:

Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Good to meet you at Albury, @Rob R .

I am currently trying to set the display height for a 7mm layout for an exhibition which will have a fair youngster content.
Seems best to get adults to sit so that the smaller enthusiasts can stand to get a decent view.
Would you happen to know the rail height of Trowland as displayed?
I seem to recall it looked great when I was kneeling, but despite experimenting I just can't seem to find that magic height - if I start at Trowland's height it will help.

Thanks
Tony

John - books dropped off at the Middy yesterday, Andrew was most appreciative.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Good to meet you at Albury, @Rob R .

I am currently trying to set the display height for a 7mm layout for an exhibition which will have a fair youngster content.
Seems best to get adults to sit so that the smaller enthusiasts can stand to get a decent view.
Would you happen to know the rail height of Trowland as displayed?
I seem to recall it looked great when I was kneeling, but despite experimenting I just can't seem to find that magic height - if I start at Trowland's height it will help.

Thanks
Tony

John - books dropped off at the Middy yesterday, Andrew was most appreciative.
Tony,
I will run the tape measure over Trowland when I get home later.
Rob

Western Thunderer
I've found that having a track height of around 1m works for the kids and people in a wheelchair. I've tried putting chairs out front and generally I find women happily come and take a rest whilst men see the chairs as some sort of barrier and prefer to stand. I've no idea why men are so useless at taking a rest but there you go. I often sit at the front to get a rest and to try and encourage people to sit, but it just doesn't work with men. It's is a shame because my cameo aperture works best at eye level when you are sitting down.

I've tried verbally encouraging sitting, so may try signage next time. Something along the lines of "sit down, it's best viewed from a seat."

I'm sticking with 1m because it works for the kids and wheelchairs.
Tony

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Certainly for a home layout I’d want to sit with rail level slightly below eye level so I can look into the scene, and if I need to reach over or couple, I can stand.

Of course sitting eye level will depend on the seat height!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
...Of course sitting eye level will depend on the seat height!
Indeed.
And someone a couple of inches taller on the same chair would have an altogether different view of things!

50mm is the height difference in the two boards below.
Board Height.jpg

I nearly spoiled the experiment this morning by picking the wrong chair.
The first (and nearest) one I tried seemed a bit 'low-rider' - turned out to be a USAAF Briefing Room chair and, at 430, 30mm lower at than our more typical kitchen chairs, but was also markedly raked back which made around 50mm overall difference.
(If you ever wondered why the WW2 bomber crews in photos of mission briefings sometimes appear so laid back - it was probably the chairs!).
Chair 1.jpgChair 2.jpg

By coincidence I'd set the left hand board rail level, which I thought was probably the best comprise, at @76043 's adopted of 1m.
In the end I went for that - an advantage being it then sets the backscene height at 1350 which just allows an un-prototypical uncoupling hand access from behind - any higher and it would have to be front operation for scale couplings, or cut the backscene down (or stand on an ammo box....).

I guess the only way you'll force everyone to view a layout from the same height is by restricting viewing to very small apertures (which I have seen done to good effect on small cameo layouts).
And it's nice to be able to view from a variety of heights and aspects.