Scale7 JB Workbench.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Really coming along now..

New roof from Peter Cowling, which was far less hassle to cut to size than I had thought. The photo is a little cruel as the first initial fit was surprisingly good. A little tinkering will see those gaps close up..

Bogies are pretty much done springing-wise and the cosmetic bits won't take more than an hour to complete.

Right, I'm off up the Severn Valley for a couple of days..

image.jpeg image.jpeg

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Geoff,

It is currently sitting on the springs, but if I bring the bogies down to their correct ride height they would be sitting on the stops. I'm sure I could weight the vehicle so I could have a tiny amount of travel left. Even 0.5mm would make a difference.

JB.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
JB,

Yep, your axleboxes need some upwards travel by riding on the springs.

On vehicles with outside bearings springing is a little counter-intuitive, but if there's no upwards travel you've effectively got a rigid bogie...

Steph

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I don't believe upward travel to be a necessity, but it definitely helps and aids further, better running of the vehicle.

JB.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
I don't believe upward travel to be a necessity, but it definitely helps and aids further, better running of the vehicle.

JB.

I couldn't agree more.

The way a fully sprung vehicle, loco coach or wagon, rides over crossings and track joints is much more like the real thing. Those of you who may have seen my 'Auchlin' S7 layout when it was on the show circuit will know what I mean.

The fully sprung stock just glides silently over the quite rough track work and close inspection would show the individual axleboxes rising and falling as the wheels hit imperfections in the track. The compensated stock still runs OK but with noticeable clunks and lurches.

Some will argue that if the track is perfect then full springing is not required and that may well be correct. However it is not very easy keeping track perfect on an exhibition layout, or even a permanent one, and my line depicts a secondary route and colliery interchange. The track was deliberately laid to depict less than perfect, well used railway, especially the pit lines where curves are often a series of kinks!

Ian.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
In general I agree with you both, but outside framed sprung vehicles do need to have the weight on the spring, otherwise the axle behaves as though it's rigid.

In any other case, you can pretty much take your pick...

Steph

DougT

Western Thunderer
Not soldered up yet, just folded up, and apologies for using a finescale and S7 wheel in the shots, wheels only just ordered from slaters..

View attachment 57432

JB.

JB, 'scuse my ignorance, but what happened to the bearing cups between initial trial fit of wheels (as above) and completion of the sprung bogie? Have you shortened the axles?

Doug

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Doug, it was all a bit of jiggery pokery to allow the brass axleboxes enough space to freely run up and down behind the white metal sides.

The top hat bearings were pushed inwards up to the boss of the wheel to prevent too much side play and then soldered in place. Then the remainder of the bearing on the outside was chopped down to be flush with the axle boxes, and finally the axles were chopped down about half way to stop them poking out of the end.

Hope this helps..

JB.

DougT

Western Thunderer
JB, yes helpful. It explains why the axle end is visible but not the top hat end.

Lovely build btw.

Doug

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
One of the twins masked up and ready for a repaint, along with some hinges and stoppers.

image.jpeg

They'll be going Crimson and Cream, though I am tempted to mix some of the other coaches in the set up a bit with some maroon as well.

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Opinion sought.

Just doing the door stoppers for the GUV and wondering if I can make them from the brass that I have in stock..

Does this look a little heavy gauge-wise, or will it pass muster?

image.jpeg

JB.