Scottish Wagon Works

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Bit of a news item from me -

As many of you will know I have been producing small numbers of wagons for my own needs using laser cut ply. Whilst these have been successful, they do still require quite considerable modelling time to complete. Not that, in itself that is a bad thing, it is just a factor when you have many different modelling projects on the go. I am now working in collaboration with a friend of very many years, Paul Lancaster, to develop these more efficiently using the latest 3D printing technologies.

Because of how these have been developed and how they are made, it makes sense to offer them to other modellers. We have taken the decision to offer a range of Scottish Private Trader wagons for sale. The initial range is suitable for the needs of those modelling Scottish pre-grouping railways and in some cases these vehicles lasted through into grouping and beyond. Both 7mm and 4mm are catered for and it is hoped that the range will develop into a reasonably comprehensive selection.

The private trader (owner) fleet was massive. For example, by around 1910 there was one trader wagon registered with the Caledonian Railway for every one company vehicle, yet these types have been basically overlooked. This range hopes to fill that gap.

We have two initial wagons, with a third following very shortly. This third kit is taking a little more planning as we are hoping to offer both the Scottish version (cupboard doors) as well as the general build drop door version. This later version will be suitable to many pre-group modellers, including those modelling English prototypes.

The first images shows what will be provided in our 7mm kits;
(These show early test prints, the production prints will be in all grey)

1708164650419.png

Which should build very easily and quickly into this;

1708164650465.png

1708164650503.png

These images are of test prints that have subsequently been revised.
  • Internal ironwork around the doors in now included
  • The brake lever is revised to have the characteristic dog-leg around the axlebox
  • Brake fittings have been adjusted for fit
  • Builders plates and registration plates are now provided as separate prints
We have taken a lot of effort to include a level of detail that is simply not possible using other methods.

IMG_9938.jpg

The range launches with two vehicles, this being the RY Pickering 15' 6 Plank, fixed end wagon (shown above) and the 16' 5 Plank end door wagon. These will be followed with further variations of the private trader theme, hopefully taking account of many of the subtle variations that existed. Given the wider variation of body styles amongst the smaller 4 plank wagons, these are currently at the early drawing stage and will follow at a later date.
A complementary range of 4mm body/solebars/headstock only models will also be available. Because of the variations in 4mm modelling we felt it best to leave the choice of underworks to the modeller and as the various fittings and compensation bits are available, mostly through Wizard Models, the body only options seems like the best approach. The 7mm kits can be easily adapted to accept S7 springing units as our axleguards, axleboxes and springs are all separate prints.

To give an idea of what we are doing our website is now up and running and we are offering effectively a "Soft Launch" through the line societies, chat groups and forum etc. You are very welcome to visit www.scottishwagonworks.com and I would encourage anyone to sign up (it helps us test the system and gives early access to products and well as some special offers).

I am very happy to answer any questions either here or through the contact options on the website.

Kind regards

John

simond

Western Thunderer
I’d be delighted to know what resin you’re using for the brake gear, particularly if it’s not psychedelic green… ?

cheers
Simon

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Very interesting project and of some interest to me. However my preferred railway, G&SWR, had virtually no PO wagons on the system. Being a bit canny they forced most traders to use company double end door wagons and charged quite a bit in demurrage if they didn’t empty them quickly!

I assume your sample has had the brakes attached wrongly, applying the lever would take the brake off!

Ian

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Very interesting project and of some interest to me. However my preferred railway, G&SWR, had virtually no PO wagons on the system. Being a bit canny they forced most traders to use company double end door wagons and charged quite a bit in demurrage if they didn’t empty them quickly!

I assume your sample has had the brakes attached wrongly, applying the lever would take the brake off!

Ian
Ian - well spotted - that is entirely down to my stupidity.

simond

Western Thunderer
It will not be psychedelic green. That's purely to show what parts are included.

yes, I understood that, I’ve tried printing brake levers, and the guard/rack thingy, and given the fragility, I’m inclined to brass.

If there’s a viable resin solution, I’m all ears!

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
This is getting close to being of the "wish list" style or message, Jordan may be round to see you soon (@Jordan).

rgds, G
:rolleyes: I dunno - anyone would think I was still on the Flying Squad!! :oops: ...which is well over 10 years ago now.
Wasn't my 'rule' anyway - just an early unwritten understanding that there are other Forums available for w*shlisting (& frothing) and Western Thunder was not to be the place for it. ;)

iak63

Western Thunderer
A good few days for Scottish modelling...
Some 4mm PO wagons fae north of the border have a real attraction.

Last edited:

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
The first run of bodies have been done in 4mm. We are putting the builders plate and registration plate back onto the solebars for these as they are just so small.

In 4mm we supply a 3D printed body and floor;
4mm 1.jpeg
4mm 5.jpeg

The floor is a tight fit inside the body, but should sit down onto the cross supports.

4mm3.jpeg4mm 2.jpeg

From here the modeller can add their voice of compensation or whitemetal axleguards, brakes, coupling and buffers etc. All of which are available.

Details at www.scottishwagonworks.com

Thanks

John

Attachments

• 4mm 6.jpeg
    4mm 6.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 4mm 7.jpeg
    4mm 7.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 5

Northroader

Western Thunderer
With your layouts, you might be in a position to say if one of those wagons appeared pregroup around there, who it might have painted on the sides?