Shelf Queens

28ten

Guv'nor
I have to admit, it's been a bit of a psychological Doc Martin up the derrière and I'm now going to finish a few of these wagons off before tackling anything else.

Of course these photos don't show the commissions on the bench - a J65, R24, three J15s and a T26 (E4) all of which take precedence!
The discipline of working for others makes a real difference, you have to solve problems rather than put them to one side. With suitable motivation :cool: I have done a 'shake the box' Finney 28xx from box to painted in 3 weeks, it is just a question of focus and having the correct parts to hand. On the other hand the Slaters tank wagon on the shelf has been on the go for about 17 years......

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
On the other hand the Slaters tank wagon on the shelf has been on the go for about 17 years......

For some reason I have come over all smug :rolleyes::thumbs:.

Martyn.

P.S. Although I must admit I have a part built WD 2-8-0, circa 1993 :oops: el crapo !! :mad:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Well, the weather has been so good, I have set up outside and spent the afternoon spraying.

First off was the chassis for the L&Y saddle tank which is done and hardening off. This is the one I had off ebay where the body is fine but the chassis was crap.

Second (a real bonus day this one) was an ex MR 1F 0-6-0T chassis. This just needs turning over and one more spray and that's done. This is a real shelf queen as it was started about 15 years ago. Finishing this off is Steph's fault, as I photographed it for information for one of his projects, and thought it wasn't too bad after all. The body will be finished tonight - only a cab gauge to put in - and sprayed tomorrow if the weather holds.

Both will be finished off in pretty dirty condition, and I'm looking forward to playing with the weathering.

Richard

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Another brilliant day, so I primed the 1F.......

That's almost off the shelf that is:)

Richard

Yet again, my effect is both subtle and far-reaching; it's a lovely build of a very pretty loco. My LCDR T-class locos progress slowly, though not as far as actually knocking stuff out of the frets yet...

Steph

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I promised some shelf queen photos in my intro and this thread seems to be an appropriate placeto stick them.
They are all 7mm.
First off is a Slaters Manning Wardle F class. Pre ordered this from the first batch, so 1986/7ish. Probably started it as soon as it arrived. Apart from the buffers, brake gear, revised suspension for the front axle she is built more or less as intended.
DSCF8432.JPG
I suspect that a S7 conversion would involve major surgery but not impossible.
Next off is the GER 134 class, was going to be No. 135 in 1900's condition but now in line for S7 and reverse engineering to as delivered in GREEN . The close up is a good reason for going S7!
DSCF8441.JPGDSCF8442.JPG
The little Millwall tank more advanced than it looks with most of the plate work cut and awaiting lots of rivets. Some how I managed to set the frames quite wide so going S7 shouldn't involve much more than sourcing some 3'6" 11spoke drivers, re-profiled Slaters Isle of Man drivers are a possibility.
DSCF8445.JPG DSCF8449.JPG
If that lot posts ok I'll do part 2.

R

Rob R

Western Thunderer
That worked.
The D&S GE 6w Brake 3rd is straight out of the box apart from changing the foot step hangers It has a couple of box queens to suit, a Lav compo and a Y65/F7 2-4-2t.
DSCF8450.JPG
The longest serving resident of the shelf started out as a GE ex Thetford and Watton Rly Sharp Stewart 2-4-0t but on the way has been half transmogrified into the Big Brown Railways ex Cambrian 1192. A big bonus is the wheels, Gibson brass centered much messed with but by some fluke ended up at S7 profile when I last turned them. Somewhere some one asked about split crank axles. Here I had a 3/16" od, 1/8" id stub in the wheel, a tufnol bush, 2mm id inside that and a 2mm stub on the crank.
DSCF8451.JPG DSCF8452.JPGDSCF8453.JPG
Last off is a 3' gauge 6" bagnall saddle tank I started for a contractors line scheme for the F class sat upon a contractors flat.DSCF8463.JPG

There are plenty more but mostly of the "almost finished Parkside/Slaters/etc" variety.

TTFN

Rob

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
View attachment 13967
I suspect that a S7 conversion would involve major surgery but not impossible.
Next off is the GER 134 class, was going to be No. 135 in 1900's condition but now in line for S7 and reverse engineering to as delivered in GREEN .

Very nice, and I've not seen that photo before.

However, not wishing to put too big a spanner in the works, your photo of 135 is dated no earlier than May 1892 and in that condition is blue.

If you want it green then I'm afraid it's going to have to look like this - but at least I caught you early on in the build...

134class_168_1873.jpg

Rob R

Western Thunderer
The photo of 135 shows plan A. Your photo shows plan B. Well nearly as 135 is a Neilson built loco whereas 168 is an Avonside machine (I think?). Frames a slightly different profile and the tanks slightly different heights. The other usual early photo is from memory 196, another Avonside.

Might just leave it as a blue one and start again, could be quicker.

TTFN

Rob

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Fair enough, couldn't read the works plate and my copy of Geoff Pembers' book is in the loft. (excuses, excuses).

Now need to trawl through the available Johnson Midland boiler fittings (Sans Pareil, Shedmaster etc) and find some S7 5'3" wheels and then the project is almost a proper goer.

R

S

SteveO

After moving recently, my shelf has turned into a pile.
IMG_1409.JPG
Roughly working left to right, a Heljan 47, an old Beattie 24, a Triang Hymek conversion, 'the' 31, my beautiful Derby Lightweight, a few wagons in the big box and my new etches on top, an 04 kit, the Sentinel is complete but is LMS so I may change to LNER, a Lima 33 conversion (coaches are also on their way...) and a track cleaner wagon which looks a bit like a tank wagon.

On the right is enough track to complete my Inglenook and also Marsa69's 31 cabs, ready for despatch!

What's not shown are my 2 new Hybars and a Connoisseur Toad E which should be here later this week. I also have a coach at work that I will probably sell.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
The - worse - alternative is "The Cupboard of Doom", where unfinished models don't even see the light of day ever again... at least if they're on a shelf they may still register in the conciousness of their owner... :D
Is the Teddy Bear still in there mate