7mm Sherton Abbas

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Or even an ex GWR Railcar........in Green maybe..

And that is almost sacrilegious. The point would be lost. If anyone wanted a masterclass on how to model a pre-grouping railway, irrespective of company, look no further.

None of us are in a position to recall at first hand a pre-grouping railway. We are reliant on sometimes quite indifferent monochrome images. Layouts such as this bring it to life.

Rob.

wenlock

Like all others on here I've got to know, I can appreciate good modelling whatever period, scale or company. Your modelling eye and attention to detail is superb.

My own layout is called Pencarrow, and nowhere near complete yet. Trying my best at the moment to finish off some of the many, many part completed jobs. I don't seem to have your ability to stick to something until it's finished and then move on.

Completely agree with your summary of the SE Finecast embossed sheets. They are my go-to product. Pity that most of my buildings are requiring custom stonework. :)

Thanks Chris! Although it may appear that I stick to a project until it’s finished, I can assure you I flit like a butterfly sometimes! At the moment I’m half way through building a Slater’s D14 coach, I’ve primed some Andrew Stadden figures, I’ve built the body of a 2 plank etched brass wagon, but not the chassis and decided to redevelop the layout’s fiddleyard :) All part of the fun really! I shall seek out Pencarrow and check out your progress!

BW

Dave

wenlock

Hmmm, I’ve just conjured up a vision of a shiny Dapol Class 121 single car DMU, in green livery, with speed whiskers, ticking over in the platform.

In the background, the station building is looking a little tired now, its faded chocolate and cream paint blistered and flaking after several English summers, in contrast to the shiny “SHERTON ABBAS” enamel totem, that’s adorns a weathered concrete lamp post. A BR 12 ton van with corrugated ends and 16 ton mineral wagon keep each other company in the goods yard, awaiting collection later in the day by a grubby pannier tank on the daily goods (or perhaps it’ll be one of those fancy new 0-6-0 diesel shunters?).

Departure time comes and the DMU pulls away from the platform, its rasping exhaust being amplified as it passes under the road bridge and peace will once again descend over the station, though the blue clag from the DMU’s exhaust will hang in the air for a few minutes longer, before it too, is gone...

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan, what a lovely evocative paragraph:) I can picture the whole scene in my head, just the spot to drink Tizer and eat slightly squashed luncheon meat sandwiches!

BW

Dave

wenlock

And that is almost sacrilegious. The point would be lost. If anyone wanted a masterclass on how to model a pre-grouping railway, irrespective of company, look no further.

None of us are in a position to recall at first hand a pre-grouping railway. We are reliant on sometimes quite indifferent monochrome images. Layouts such as this bring it to life.

Rob.
Thanks Rob, delighted you think so!

BW

Dave

wenlock

Cheers Dave. I'm worse than a flitting butterfly! However, at the moment I'm exercising self control and finishing a large building started about 5 years ago. Well that's the plan.

I shall look forward to seeing the finished article! One of the few benefits of this lockdown is the extra time available for modelling! We should all be grateful that we’ve got a creative outlet for when boredom sets in!:)

wenlock

Evening all again, here are the next set of pictures of the layout's construction :)

The stark white of the polystyrene was toned down with brown umber acrylic paint.

25.jpg

Point rodding was added using components from Model Signal Engineering, a fiddly, time consuming but ultimately satisfying job!

26.jpg

27.jpg

Ballasting could then commence, I used Woodland Scenics ballast which is apparently made from ground up coconut shells, very exotic! It appears to be colour stable and absorbs water based adhesives nicely.

30.jpg 31.jpg

The retaining wall at the front of the layout was constructed using walling from Slater's Plastikard, joints were masked using Milliput epoxy putty. This was then painted using enamel paints with foliage added from the Greenscene range.

32.jpg 33.jpg

Static grass fibres were added using a Greenscene "Grass Master" applicator, again using Greenscene fibres, which are nicely matt and come in a range of subtle colours, unlike some manufacturers garish offerings!

35.jpg 36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg

I'd been dreading painting the back scene, remembering the less than complimentary comments made by my school art teacher back in the 1970's :) I studied a couple of books from the library about landscape painting and sketched the horizon and a few hills. I then mixed some acrylic paints, applied the delights of atmospheric regression techniques and despite my misgivings was rather pleased with the end result!

40.jpg 41.jpg 42.jpg

wenlock

More Pics!

Trees were constructed using florists wire, postiche theatrical hair and Greenscene scatters, as described in Mr Gravett's excellent book on the subject

45.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg 48.jpg

The platform flower beds were made as separate modules while watching TV with my better half. Her comment of "why don't the flowers in our garden look like that" was hard to recover from!:)

50.jpg
I'll finish with a few pictures of the layout as it stands today, I guess they are never really completed!

IMG_2411a.jpg.5773abae4ee2eafb313e769b1af41a3e.jpg IMG_2438a.jpg.4512091e1592e546eba4dd1850beb811.jpg P1040149b.JPG.c9947e17c7768b36104d5b689a8b012c.jpg P1040161b.jpg.c830d9ca8a32bed9344873bda9bb0875.jpg P1040204b.jpg.f01e0b8bad46ff1a6ce2f34d03362461.jpg P1040225b.jpg.9004eff57310f4a400eee29edd07b264.jpg P1040241b.jpg.635e93396d4bfab35220a7edf4ad7159.jpg P1040255a.jpg.744df45ee46cb49b078c3ea5c39e9216.jpg P1040259a.jpg.6f316a6b1ade0196efa6cfefba39921f.jpg
I was delighted to have made the front cover of MRJ, which I'm reliably informed should be available from the more discerning purveyors of railway modelling magazines today!

image0.jpeg.dbda4c56878b34eeda145020bc3f8248.jpeg

Best wishes

Dave

wenlock

If ever there was an inspirational layout, regardless of era/prototype..

If I had the space, i'd currently have a saw in hand building baseboards.

JB.
Thanks JB, I'm delighted you think so! I just wish I had the space to do something like Love Lane:)

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave I never tire of looking at this layout it's just delightful .I see more detail every time I look at it.Every time I look there is more to see
John

Last edited:

Suddaby

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,
Excellent thread and thank you for posting. I saw the layout at Railex, and was very impressed with it. It was the way you had so convincingly fit a whole station into a relatively small space. Looking forward to the arrival of MRJ, and seeing the layout again in the, hopefully, not too distant future.
Kevin

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
I had been watching this develop on the other channel. It is so impressive. The track layout flows so nicely.
I did notice the signals have a socket and plug design. Is that your own thing or are they out sourced?

PaulR

Western Thunderer
I love this layout too. Beautifully designed and executed. A real.inspiration.

And I love it that you're not afraid of colour.

wenlock

Nice to have it all in one thread Dave, well worth looking through again.
Thank you for taking the time to post these on WT.

Take care

G

p.s. I agree very much with Rob's comments but then you know why eh !

Thanks Grahame, glad you enjoyed seeing the pictures again, but then I am preaching to the converted!;)

BW

Dave