Smoke unit problem

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
After spending ages sorting out the sound to my satisfaction, I've just fitted a Peter Clark Smoke unit to my JLTRT Class37.  It works but I have a problem and wonder if anyone else on this Fab-Forum has experience of one of these units.

Chip is a Loksound XL (Howes) and I've set it up as described here (thanks Simon!):

http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/index.p ... &Itemid=45

When I activate the Heater Unit (F7), there is an audible on and off buzzing noise coming from the chip.  I assumed this was coming from the pulsing relay, but I'm fairly sure the noise is coming from the chip. 

The noise is just about bearable and would probably be masked by a combination of  fitting the body and the sound from the speaker.  However the problem is that the buzzing sound increases in volume when the loco starts to move, and is fairly intrusive.  I'm also a bit worried that some damage is being done to the chip.

I've checked the wiring and CV settings several times and am sure everything is OK.  Could it be that I have a faulty relay?  Or another CV setting affecting the circuit?

Grateful for any suggestions!

Tim