Supply Of Crossing And Vee Jigs for S7 and 0-FS

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
In view of the interest shown in the jigs and gauges that I included in the thread "Jigs and Gauges for Track Making" I telephoned Paul Stokes (S7 Group Sales Officer) to establish how the assembly jigs were machined and what was available to help with building S7 and FS switch and crossing work. For those readers who are members of the S7 Group there is a current Stores List on the S7 Group website (in the members-only section).

The S7 Stores can provide Vee filing jigs for angles of 1:5, 1:6, 1:7 and 1:8. These jigs are suitable for bullhead rail from Exactoscale and C&L (based on personnel experience), the jigs might be suitable for similar rail from Slaters and Peco (caveat emptor). As these jigs are intended for the filing of point /splice rails and for assembly of a simple vee then the jigs can be used for turnouts to S7 and FS standards and for whatever track gauge.

The S7 Stores can provide S7 crossing assembly jigs - to hold rails during construction of either common crossings or obtuse crossings - for angles of 1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:6.5, 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 and 1:10. I have asked for 1:7.5 and 1:8.5 as a bespoke order. In addition, the S7 Stores can provide similar jigs for FS turnouts - for angles of 1:5, 1:6 and 1:7. All of these assembly jigs are CNC machined from paxolin.

Finally, the S7 Stores can supply check and track gauges for those modelling Irish (5' 3") and Broad Gauge (7' 0 1/4") track..... and for those who are modelling to 32mm track gauge.

Paul Stokes can be contacted here.

regards, Graham Beare

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
In view of the interest shown in the jigs and gauges that I included in the thread "Jigs and Gauges for Track Making", and after discussion with Rob Pulham about his intention to build 32mm gauge track, I telephoned Paul Stokes (S7 Group Sales Officer) to establish how the assembly jigs were machined and what was available to help with building S7 and FS switch and crossing work. For those readers who are members of the S7 Group there is a current Stores List on the S7 Group website (in the members-only section).

The S7 Stores can provide Vee filing jigs for angles of 1:5, 1:6, 1:7 and 1:8. These jigs are suitable for bullhead rail from Exactoscale and C&L (based on personnel experience), the jigs might be suitable for similar rail from Slaters and Peco (caveat emptor). As these jigs are intended for the filing of point /splice rails and for assembly of a simple vee then the jigs can be used for turnouts to S7 and FS standards and for whatever track gauge.

The S7 Stores can provide S7 crossing assembly jigs - to hold rails during construction of either common crossings or obtuse crossings - for angles of 1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:6.5, 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 and 1:10. I have asked for 1:7.5 and 1:8.5 as a bespoke order. In addition, the S7 Stores can provide similar jigs for FS turnouts - for angles of 1:5, 1:6 and 1:7. All of these assembly jigs are CNC machined from paxolin.

Finally, the S7 Stores can supply check and track gauges for those modelling Irish (5' 3") and Broad Gauge (7' 0 1/4") track..... and for those who are modelling to 32mm track gauge.

Paul Stokes can be contacted here.

regards, Graham Beare

Graham,

Seeing as you're a track work fiend I think this qu is well suited to you:

No one seems to have taken FB rail track seriously yet, let alone concrete sleepers unless you like the 60s esque Peco examples. Anyway, I'm considering S7 seeing as I build everything myself except a few Heljan locos, so why not make it spot on? But the trackwork I want is modern concrete sleepered stuff, which seems to leave me in no mans land. I'm starting to investigate learning how to use 3D software to draw up sleepers and have them printed, as well as a concrete sleepered point. Then I've got to consider what to do about rails. Looking at your list above it seems that everything is built for bullhead rail. Is there anything out there for FB stuff?

Cheers

Tom

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Anyway, I'm considering S7 seeing as I build everything myself except a few Heljan locos, so why not make it spot on?
Do it, you know it makes sense!

Peco do flat bottom rail and suitable Pandrol baseplates etc to make your own FB track on wood, but only have those concrete sleepers for 32mm finescale. Gaugemaster have some details here:
http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_r...ulay&style=main&method=kws_gauge&strType=o#11

You'd need to make your own for S7, unfortunately. However, if you wanted a reasonable quantity, these people:
http://www.protomold.co.uk/?s=PL&ls=PL
might be able to help. I haven't used them personally, but they seem quite well respected. I'm not sure how resin sleepers would hold up, and it would get expensive quite quickly, I think.

HTH

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the link to protomold. I suppose it could be an option if I found enough people who want British outline concrete sleepers. Remind me how many you'd need again :))

I still need to look more into this S7 malarky before any decisions get made. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Btw, are you around at Warley - be nice to grab a pint, not from the bars inside the hall I might add!

Cheers

Tom

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
A fudge on the concrete sleepers that I'm intending to do, is to cut the Peco sleepers in half and gauge off to S7 and hide the gap with ballast and weathering.

Heljan loco's are straight forward to convert to S7. Richard Carr of this forum has written an article detailing how he converted his Heljan 37.

Send me your email and ill forward it to you.

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Further to the advice given by Graham above I can advise that the S7 Committee have decided in principal that the S7 Stores List will be moved from the Members Only area to be available for everyone. A final decision will be made shortly as we are waiting for one bit of legal advice before moving it. Assuming we get the go-ahead it will be moved next week for all to see.
Rob

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the link to protomold. I suppose it could be an option if I found enough people who want British outline concrete sleepers. Remind me how many you'd need again :))
All I can suggest is knocking up one panel in a 3d program and getting a quote - for a small part such as that it might not be too expensive. However, I expect the market for concrete sleepered FB track in S7 might be extremely small, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't consist of you, me and Phil :))

Btw, are you around at Warley - be nice to grab a pint, not from the bars inside the hall I might add!
Sorry, I'm not going to Warley, it just doesn't appeal. I'm going to Bristol in January though, it'd be good to meet up and have a chat there, if you're going.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
All I can suggest is knocking up one panel in a 3d program and getting a quote - for a small part such as that it might not be too expensive. However, I expect the market for concrete sleepered FB track in S7 might be extremely small, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't consist of you, me and Phil :))

Sorry, I'm not going to Warley, it just doesn't appeal. I'm going to Bristol in January though, it'd be good to meet up and have a chat there, if you're going.

Some clever marketing and I'll get the 7mm world interested (evil laugh). I'll look into it and see what can be done.

Warley isn't appealing at all but somehow I got myself into organising the DEMU stand there. So I've been busy creating a fresh look for it. Seeing as it's 9:15 - 6 as long as I can fix an espresso machine under the table and have a supersonic machine to a bar at the end I'll be fine :D

I'll be down at Bristol so will catch up with you then. The IGAs will be making an appearance at both.

Cheers

Tom

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Tomstaf said
I still need to look more into this S7 malarky before any decisions get made. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Tom

From your avatar looks like you might be somewhere in the SODC area. If so and you want to have a meet in a pub and a chat about S7 would be happy to do so. I have used the same bridge for photos many times over the years.

Rob

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
From your avatar looks like you might be somewhere in the SODC area....

This picture fooled me... I thought that the location was east of RDG and west of Twyford, near to the CEGB place. However, I was about forty miles too far to the north of the real location.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
In the course of a telephone conversation with another 7mm modeller this afternoon I was asked if the S7 Group is able to offer jigs and gauges for the 0-FS modeller. My initial post summarises the position as of end of 2012, I think that the current position is similar.

So just a refresh of the topic for those who are considering track construction in any 7mm gauge.

regards, Prof. Barking S&C and Bar.