The Depot Museum

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'll be back! Sorry to say I have the lurgy - vertigo - and it's been with me for two days. This is the first day I've been up to look at anything on line but would love to continue this conversation.

Brian

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
Peter - As someone who has been designing 7mm London Transport road and rail vehicles [and ephemera] for the last twenty years, the way to get access to the archives and exhibits in the Depot is simply to write [or e-mail] to the duty curator and ask.
It [possibly] helps if you are a life member of the Friends of the LT Museum but I don't think it is essential.
Regarding Standard Stock car 3327: This was the car that lived in the Science Museum together with the Deltic and a GWR Castle in the early '60s. The photograph of the contactor compartment shows why work on the standard stock can be ordinarily very slow. There was a large amount of asbestos in 3327 when originally transferred to the Science Museum which is why when transferred to the Depot access was limited to areas of this car [and the other ex-IoW and Departmental Standard Stock]

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear that Brian, I do hope it is only a temporary condition, just the result of an infection, and that you feel better again soon!

I do appreciate the points you made as well Arun. There is indeed so little left of the former Isle of Wight interiors after the cars were stripped of asbestos, and as I am given to understand, precisely because of the risk of residual contamination. Any "restoration" effort would pretty much require starting again from scratch!

I suppose that an artist, or indeed modelmaker, has the benefit of being able to recreate objects or scenes otherwise lost for ever, but for me, I always preferred to start by getting the overall visual proportions as correct as I could manage - by doing "measured drawings" from life in the first place! Details could be added, or modified later, provided sufficient reference was available, but I found that the whole thing really needed to be built around a solid core!

Folks might be surprised, perplexed, or even horrified by some of the peculiar antics and "dodgy" positions I got into to achieve the right viewpoint sometimes?! For one interior illustration, I discovered that there were no seats left inside, and a completely rotted floor under a preferred window in the derelict carriage selected!. The only way to depict the scene from a seated passenger's eyeline, had me perching myself on a couple of found boxes - and all the while balanced on a wobbly plank over a gaping hole! Anyone catching me there and doing that would probably have had kittens on the spot, at the very least?!

That is partly what I meant by hoping to be "trusted"!

The end result was fairly well received at an exhibition though, was subsequently published in a book - and even I was reasonably pleased with it!

Pete.

simond

Western Thunderer
Details could be added, or modified later, provided sufficient reference was available, but I found that the whole thing really needed to be built around a solid core!

ain’t that the truth?

Having acquired my 3D printer, I now find myself trying harder to get good data to start with. If you’re going to invest some time & effort in creating the virtual model, it might as well be right. It’s no harder to draw a line in the right place as somewhere else, providing of course you can find out where the right place is…