7mm The Derby Line: Basford North

dibateg

Western Thunderer
One problem that became apparent during the last running session was that derailments were occuring on the long crossover (longer than it should be because it is stretched by the curve in the layout ). Investigation found areas tight to gauge as well a kinks in the alignment well below the minimum radius of 6 feet. There were 5 areas of concern - all down to my poor tracklaying on this section. Although in mitigation, I think some hot weather had something to do with it. So I used a sharp chisel to remove chairs, re-aligned rails and then made up new chairs to fit. Hopefully that is all now resolved.
IMG_0132.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Anumber of tall Suggs type lamps are required for the yard, it was going to prove difficult to get the castings, so I decided to scratch some up. I've been cutting the ends off clear LEDs to create the glass bowl. I'm still pondering how to make the 'cannon' shaped base of the post...
IMG_0137.JPG

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I used to have a GWR lamp post in my garden with a Sugg top, when I lived in Slough, shown here just after installation....
IMG_4613.jpeg

IMG_4614.jpeg

IMG_4615.jpeg

Originally gas-lit, my friend Pete Fitzwater, turned me some insulated bushes (to fit where the gas mantles would have been), which were then fitted with a pair of Small Edison Screw holders and some 25 watt Pygmy bulbs. He also turned up the ladder bar for me, which was essential for changing bulbs or cleaning the glass bowl.

It illuminated the end of the garden with a cosy, welcoming glow and was one of the earliest and most pleasing DIY projects, I ever undertook. :)

When we moved house about 14 years later, I just had to take it with me, but in the intervening 22 years (and at least 3 more house moves), it's never gone back in the ground again, as my 2nd wife doesn't share my affections for it....
IMG_20240507_113025756.jpg

Apologies for the hijack Tony, but I must say, your model lamp tops really capture the essence of the prototype - well done! :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
That really is a long curved cross-over. Under gauge is always a problem, so it's good to see you've managed to sort out the issue.
Looking back to your group photo, some of the faces look slightly familiar, perhaps fro a visit I made some years ago for an operating session on Geoff's Bala Junction layout?
Dave.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
No Hijack at all Dan - thank you so much! I should have curved the bottom arms a little more, but the lamps need to match some existing ones. What a shame your lamp is still not in use.

Thanks Dave -
yes, most likely!

Phile Greaves ( Ellesmere layout ), Graham, Rob Kinsey ( WMRC ), Geoff Taylor and Alisdair Macdonald.

Regards
Tony

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
No Hijack at all Dan - thank you so much! I should have curved the bottom arms a little more, but the lamps need to match some existing ones. What a shame your lamp is still not in use.

Thanks Dave -
yes, most likely!

Phile Greaves ( Ellesmere layout ), Graham, Rob Kinsey ( WMRC ), Geoff Taylor and Alisdair Macdonald.

Regards
Tony

Say hi to Rob K for me next time you see him. I used to work at Staffs CC Highways with him many moons ago. Chris T