7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I decided to strip those lovely coaches in post 342. they look tidy enough in the pics, but I think spraying in sunshine was a mistake, the paint dried too quickly and the surface was too rough to recover, so they have been dunked in cellulose thinners today.. a depressing and messy job. Ah well, always learning..

I was roughly analysing the time spent, the parts for this afternoons session had mostly been prepared yesterday evening, with the addition of the rear ends for the frames cutting out and preparation ( 1hr ), soldering - 2hrs, and cleaning up - 1.5 hrs at least, I am up to this stage:-
P1010467.JPG

Out of interest, here are my cleaning up tools, a ground off broken file and the emery sticks, that were obtained from a model car stand at the Bristol show last year - they are invaluable. Blame Dikitriki for my fanatical cleaning up regime!
P1010463.JPG

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
If anyone remembers that battle I had with the K3, that was completely at the other end of the spectrum.

Regards

Tony

Oh dear, this doesn't bode well for me :)) thoroughly enjoying the builds so far Tony. I think you're right about making things too perfect. I spend hours on research and studying drawings ( which for me is part of the enjoyment ) and then you find pictures of damaged foot plates and bent buffers which are never truly put right. I think if the end product looks right and represents the prototype well no one notices the odd bit that isn't quite right! The Ivatt's look great in any case :thumbs:

ATB Mick

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

We had a Heyside day today. Tony was well enough to come across - good to see him - and he brought his 2 Ivatts along. Really lovely. A credit to the designer and builder.

I was admiring them so much I was told I had to build an MOK 76000, 'I'd enjoy it!', so a bit of arm-twisting there.

Fortunately, Clive had brought his tender along from the same kit, so I am able to present a sneak preview.......

P1010011b.jpg

Mmmmmm, nice.

Richard

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi

We had a Heyside day today. Tony was well enough to come across - good to see him - and he brought his 2 Ivatts along. Really lovely. A credit to the designer and builder.

I was admiring them so much I was told I had to build an MOK 76000, 'I'd enjoy it!', so a bit of arm-twisting there.

Fortunately, Clive had bought his tender along from the same kit, so I am able to present a sneak preview.......

View attachment 24265

Mmmmmm, nice.

Richard

Mmmmm lovely, I take it the cut out in the tender is for tablet apparatus ? Very, very nice indeed,

ATB Mick

mickoo

Western Thunderer

Richard

Handy, 76084 is attending the NNR just up the road this weekend, might get a break from chores and scoot up for a photo shoot :thumbs: Must confess I do keep looking at the MOK 76xxx myself.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It's really annoying that the Western Region never had any allocated.

No but the Southern region ones quite often went on Western metals, certainly to Reading and I've seen references of Didcot and Cardiff (though the last may well have changed locos somewhere) and they were popular on the S&D :thumbs:

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
No but the Southern region ones quite often went on Western metals, certainly to Reading and I've seen references of Didcot and Cardiff (though the last may well have changed locos somewhere) and they were popular on the S&D :thumbs:

I have a real love for the Southern allocated ones, the larger tender somehow looks right to me. It's a shame none of the preserved examples have this tender. Sorry for the hijack Tony, the great thing is the GC had some. I built an early run of the Acorn ( when I say built I mean had a battle with :)) ) kit as 76052 I think it was, a Leicester engine if I remember. So after the Ivatt's ....... :thumbs:

Mick

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I've been chugging away adding more detail and getting to the point of adding the running plates. I forgot the cab door hinge overlays so had to put them on. I have numerous small blocks of wood for propping up the work:-
P1010478.JPG

Then I was on to adding the running plate support brackets and devised a method to make sure everything was in line:-

P1010483.JPG

Only I seemed to run into a problem with 43155, I couldn't get them to line up properly. On investigation I found that I had introduced a twist in the body . Great. There was nothing for it but to blowlamp the boiler apart at the transition ring, clean up and re-assemble. So after removing the pipe trunking, it was done. Then a delightful evening cleaning up, making new boiler bands and cleaning up again. Only the trunking remains to be re-instated. Here is the low point:-
P1010486.JPG
So that will teach me to be a more careful!

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Bad luck Tony, but well rectified!

They'll really start coming together with the running plates in place, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the cylinders make an appearance (along with some wheels and valve gear!).

Regards

Dan

dibateg

Western Thunderer
After hawking the loco's around Telford ( sorry I didn't catch up with you Jeff ), I've been pressing on. The platforms, sandboxes and upper steam pipes are now added.
I had to back track, as I had fitted washout plugs and not mud holes to the boiler. So I sweated those out and replaced them with circular covers recovered from my Andrews 2P etches. I thinned them down a little after soldering on. From the photos, the retaining nut is either very small or non-existent. It looks like in BR days the covers were often retained, surprisingly, only occasionally being missing. So here is the first difference between the two locos, 43156 has two covers missing. I managed with a little gynaecology work to insert two mud hole castings next to the firebox.
P1010495.JPG

The Irwell book is an essential source of information, and the lightening holes are not etched out in the drag beam, and I didn't want it plain, so with a little estimation and careful drilling, and probably no - one will ever see this once they are finished - but I will be able to sleep at night:-
P1010593.JPG

And then as fitted:-

P1010595.JPG

I managed on Monday to clamber all over the real thing and get a whole load of detail shots, or am I just making more work for myself!

So it is back to the chassis next, and I need to workout how I will fit my home made plunger pick ups.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
...... get a whole load of detail shots, or am I just making more work for myself!........

You and me both, though I doubt I took as many as you or got to many of the areas you did LOL

IMG_0333a.JPG

IMG_0329a.JPG

I think if your passionate about the subject then the more photos the better and the level you attain should be what your happy with, I have models that have every detail I can find (class 08) and others that are at best, best guess (Fowler 4P)