7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
Shameless gratuitous plug - I have my 35mm round, 15mm deep 8 ohm 3 watt speaker which I will be trying in smokeboxes very soon. It packs a hefty punch when I modify Masterpiece Models Stars/Saints/4-4-2s tenders with it, so it should do a good job in the larger smokebox. No good for resin boilered locos of course!

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Cliff,
Is it the same as the one from Tony's or QSI? If so I think you'll find it works very well! I'll be interested to see how your smokebox fit works, I tend to go for the rear tubeplate so the sound comes out through the firebox and exits under the chassis. This gives really good acoustic coupling and allows much of the boiler tube to act as the resonance chamber; clean, dynamic response.
In my experience the so-called 'high bass' speakers' great advantage is that they're not as susceptible to a small resonance chamber; this might be an advantage with a smokebox fit.
I hope you're not looking to get sound out of chimney, that really doesn't work as it effectively turns the speaker in to a horn-driver; the chimney area is small so it'll act as a high-pass filter and also be highly directional.
I'll be very interested to see how you fit the speaker and know how well it works.
Steph

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
The QSI one HB122R is 31mm round and has 2 watts of power - I have used them and they are good for the smaller smokebox - this one is my own brand CJW at 35mm and 3 watts so does the trick if the space can take it.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Cliff,
Thanks for the clarification. That sounds like a useful size so I'll be interested to see how it fits
Cheers,
Steph

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
Steph we are on the same page regarding the smokebox shapes and holes.
I have had a few Korean built locos through my workshop with small mylar speakers up front and no sound coming out, open the smokebox doors and it improves, but the mechanism and track noise drowns it out. The ideal combination is a large tender speaker and as big a one in the loco.
There is a downside to this though as some of my customers need their locos packed with weight to haul trains, so its either a speaker or weight fighting for space!
Best scenario is a good speaker in the tender which does not need to be driven with a high CV63 value in order to get the sound strong enough to do the job!

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Feel free to post a pic of the speaker Cliff - I guess it probably looks like... a speaker, but would be interested in any case!

dibateg

Western Thunderer
The frames are progressing well. I had a little difficulty with the hornguides, until I worked out I force the fold further out by using the edge of a ruler to control the bend. The majority of the bearings then just dropped in without any fettling. The half etch tab is on the outside of the fold.
P1020156.JPG

The frames - with one inverted. Brake fitting next.
P1020159.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I apologise for my indulgence, I have many friends on here and building trains is what makes us tick. In the background are our loves, families and pets. Yesterday one of our cats, the dear, affectionate, chatty, fluffy Poppy was knocked down in the lane and killed. I have never known such grief, Les and I are broken hearted. Her sister sits on the patio waiting for her to come back.
I'm sure those that have pets and love them will understand.

DSCF4667a.jpg

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Understood perfectly. Pets become part of the family, and are missed as much as any human relative. It's worse when it's sudden, but still a wrench when it's due to illness.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Having recently lost one of our greyhounds suddenly & unexpectedly we fully understand your grief. To loose any pet is bad, but when it is unexpected even more difficult.

Dave

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony,

So sad to hear of your loss, like others have said when it is so sudden it just makes it that much harder to come to terms with it.

My wife and I have lost a few dear furry companions throughout the years, and our thoughts are with you and Les.

R.I.P. Poppy.

Martyn.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear your bad news Tony. As a pet lover myself i fully understand your grief and our thoughts are with you.

Rob

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear the bad news, we lost our dog last year even though he was old it was quite sudden. The house still feels empty with out him around

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Know what yous are going through, we lost this fellow two weeks ago, after 16 year.
misty 20.JPG

Misty at the workshop door,
misty 23.jpg

OzzyO.