7mm The Sparrow

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Now you have those boats it'll be plain sailing from here on in..

Those cottages are beautiful! Real inspirational work that makes me want to start making my own layout that will feature some brickwork in similar disrepair (in the as is now of yours). Always enjoy seeing the marvellous work you do.

Tom

Giles

Western Thunderer
Bless you Tom - very kind of you!

It is a relief to sort some acceptable boats - and it does inform the thinking, even early on. I realised that instead of having a length of stone wall in the river part, I need a slipway below the cottages, with at least the tender dragged up above the water-line. ( The ĺobster boat can lie to a buoy or something....). Sadly I can't see myself making a lighter as beautifully as someone else!

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Stunning as always Giles, I particularly enjoyed the video of the Bridge some useful tips there. I can see that this Will be a picture that one gets drawn into and almost lives it.
John

Giles

Western Thunderer
I've managed to get a bit of work in on stuff for the layout - I.e. a bit more on the cottages. I've finished carving the stonework in Das Stone - which i think is very good , and painted it, sponging on lighter and lighter greys over an initial black wash. Very very dry brushing with burnt umber (? - the dark one anyway!) . Sadly the phone camera hasn't picked up the colours particularly......

Windows (more to come) are just in primer, and are CNCd out of 0.8mm acrylic (Trotec) on the Stepcraft

John Baker

Western Thunderer
I've managed to get a bit of work in on stuff for the layout - I.e. a bit more on the cottages. I've finished carving the stonework in Das Stone - which i think is very good , and painted it, sponging on lighter and lighter greys over an initial black wash. Very very dry brushing with burnt umber (? - the dark one anyway!) . Sadly the phone camera hasn't picked up the colours particularly......

Windows (more to come) are just in primer, and are CNCd out of 0.8mm acrylic (Trotec) on the Stepcraft

I'd love to be able to carve half as well as that - you must have some serious patience.....I bet it took a while to get that level of textural detail into every stone! Excellent work.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

Hi Giles, great work. I'm a recent convert and fan of the DAS stone clay. The natural grey colour is a good starting point and it is dead easy to use and carve.

IMG_20220420_200956_1.jpg

I used it extensively on the clay dries above in patching in all the new additions to what started life as 2x Kernow RTP buildings before meeting some power tools!

rps20201209_213321.jpg

My version is longer, wider and taller which hopefully give it more like the presence of a real clay dries. I've subsequently used the stone clay on new build walls, roads and paths. Almost finished my first pack!

Giles

Western Thunderer
I love the coaster, Giles. Did you scratch build it or was it a kit?

All the best , Owen.
It started off as a kit - the SS Talacre - but it is the wrong scale, so I used the hull, and a few non-scale-critical castings and scratch-built the rest to 7mm, decks and all. Rather fun. There is still a little more to do on the 'Sparrow', but I shall progress the layout more first!

Chris, that stonework is superb ! Your rendition is absolutely top notch..... I love it! Agreed - Das Stone is certainly the best of the bunch.

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Your carving results are magnificent Giles but you must have the patience of a Saint to do it.
I see you have used the Das Stone modelling clay, finding it an excellent medium for laying on and carving without lifting or cracking.
That's good to know.

Best

Off to check out your R/C book contents as I think I need one on my bookshelf.

Giles

Western Thunderer
I'd love to be able to carve half as well as that - you must have some serious patience.....I bet it took a while to get that level of textural detail into every stone! Excellent work.
Thank you John - it was indeed many hours of endless fun.......! However, it's one of those things that once you start down the road, there's no turning back.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Giles that stonework is the best I have seen to date, I indeed had to do a double take on the enlargement, I thought it was your inspiration and guide at first look. I then realized it is indeed inspired work on your part. I think I am going to get some of the Das and play.

Michael