7mm US model dabblings

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The old Atlas/Roco drive towers would definitely be too tall & 'invade' the cab. As they also formed the pivot mounting for the truck - quite high up - simply removing the drive to the front truck wouldn't improve matters either.
Formyself I'd use a current Atlas power truck at the rear, & non-power at the front, as I have done to upgrade my old F-units, although it's a bit of a 'bodge job'... but I'm thinking in terms of lash-up capability with all my Atlas locos in bog-standard 12v DC form.

Interesting, I didn't look too deeply inside the F7 I have here, I will have to revisit that. Surely it's possible to remove the front drive tower and reposition the pivot lower and just drive the rear truck. Being as I would like full suspension I may even replace the whole front power tower and inner chassis and make a new one with the Atlas side frames fixed on.

The new truck would be flat and low and pivoted below chassis level. The recovered power tower gearbox and drive shaft could then be used in another model with the addition of a new motor, basically strip each F7 into two power trains for two models. They often pop up on Ebay for £50 or so and that's pretty cheap for what could be almost two drive units when stripped down.

I've no issue just powering the rear truck as loads will never be high, my only problem with the Atlas power tower is the total lack of suspension so some thought into the pivot location and some sort of separation in there for suspension will be required.

I do have a GP35 chassis and trucks only set up of Ebay as well and can easily see that removing the front motor makes that truck leave plenty of space below the cab floor, the only problem with this drive set up is that the bogie pivot is not centred and sits too far forward making the rear of the truck swing out too much on sharper curves, obviously done to allow the truck mounted coupler to stay in line on the really tight corners some modellers use.

The drive train and chassis sort of form a sub project, one which will have to be tackled in due course and as always, bucking convention by building the body first (Standard 5 and Fowler 4T were no different) may cause issues further down the track:rolleyes:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
the only problem with this drive set up is that the bogie pivot is not centred and sits too far forward making the rear of the truck swing out too much on sharper curves, obviously done to allow the truck mounted coupler to stay in line on the really tight corners some modellers use.
An unfortunate legacy of 3-rail standards I fear. :rolleyes: :mad: It's not that noticeable in practice, in fact the first time I clocked it was when I got my SD40 - it stood out more with the longer trucks. On good easy curves it wouldn't be too bad.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
An unfortunate legacy of 3-rail standards I fear. :rolleyes: :mad: It's not that noticeable in practice, in fact the first time I clocked it was when I got my SD40 - it stood out more with the longer trucks. On good easy curves it wouldn't be too bad.

Indeed, oddly though the offset is different at each end!, at the cab end the truck outer swings the most, at the rear the truck inner swings the most:confused:

Just before cutting the etches and whilst deciding which one to model, I was suddenly struck with a potential issue....decals, there really isn't very much choice in O gauge if your modelling the modern scene, UP seems to be well covered but looks like using several sheets to get everything, CSX has virtually nothing and a half arsed solution is the boxcar logo set to get the yellow CSX logo and no hint of the box car logo or earlier pale blue CSX logo. BNSF has none of the heritage schemes with the stylised GN shield on the nose, in fact what they have will only model one maybe two examples which feature the very scarce BNSF swoosh scheme and NS has one sheet which should do the high noses. There is the ATSF blue bonnet scheme but without the BNSF patch logo on the cab side. I haven't even begun to look for SP or SSW.

So all in all, plenty of opportunities for scratch building decal sets as the RTR market is very thin:(

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Right, CSX won:thumbs:, just, as I so wanted a UP non dynamic version or BNSF blue bonnet.....next time, however neither have nose mounted headlights as the primary reason for this build is to make sure parts fit, not much point if you don't test all the pieces really is it:rolleyes:

So out with the tools after a total strip down of the work bench and tidy up, new project, fresh start.

A couple of issues became very apparent early on, none of which I have easy and quick solutions for at the moment, they are all linked but after thought the root issues is the half etch overlays. To offer as many options as possible for doors and covers the main cab structure is half etched at the lower level (5thou thick) this has shown to be very fragile whilst handling, the second issue is the half etch overlays, these have all curled or are not flat. I'd heard of this issue before, but you only really notice it with parts that have large areas of half etch and when the parts are cut from the frame.

The next problem is how to flatten them, no matter how gentle or careful you are they are never perfectly uniformly flat, this of course then presents a problem when affixing to the cab, small gaps appear at the joins and edges, worse yet when cleaned small lumps and ripples appear due to the soldering and attempted flattening (I'm wondering if heating in an oven at a high temp and letting cool, either slowly to soften them or quickly to keep them hard would balance the skin tension on the side not etched). The slight distortion is not much of a problem for the cab window side sheet or battery box covers as these are often bent and rippled, in fact the end result looks pretty realistic and would probably take a long time to replicate if you were trying....as others have shown here with their distressing of bodyworks on diesels to get that rippled effect. However that effect is not going to be good for the cab front and rear overlays.

The final problem is fixing them, I've had them on and off and the only real effective way is lots of heat and solder paste, everything else just seems to cause one issue or another, I've tried low melt solder, tinning and normal temp solder and there's always an issue somewhere, the other down side is that when cleaning the fine dust mixed with flux gets in the stirrup latch recesses and is the devil to clean out!

Thus it would appear I have developed an etch that currently and rather annoyingly exceeds my techniques and skill level.

Problems to solve are material thickness and half etch parts curling, or a better solution to flattening them, a better method of fixing them, soldering whilst the 'done' thing may not be the best option, an adhesive (more experimentation) may well be better, some of these half etch parts are rather large, whole cab front and rear for example. Finally, fundamental concept of offering half etch parts fixed to more half etch structures, I.E. structural redesign.

Anyway a couple of photos of left and right cab sheets, close up shots are something to avoid as they show every little niggle, most of which is almost invisible to the eye, well mine anyway LOL
IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

You can clearly see that the cab side sheet isn't flat and that there are lumps and nicks in it and it's not that obvious of the same issues on the battery box cover (bolted slotted cover), it's also obvious that both cab sub compartment doors are not quite square, which truth be told if still annoying me tomorrow will see them off, cleaned up and attempted refitting. You can also see the window arm rest ledge which has come out rather well and crud still stuck in the stirrup latches.

Below are close ups (excuse large visual size, but compressed for forum use) of the two locos I took photos of the same area.

First CSX 2808
IMG_8549.JPG
Note heavy rippled and distorted cab window side sheet, this one is welded, mine is bolted, this is a Phase II, mine is a Phase I, note also heavy rippling on nose side sheet. It can be seen that the main cab side is flush with the sub compartment door cover, thus the metal work under that has to be recessed (half etched), note also the cover platework around the front stirrup latch is clearly bent inward a bit. The battery cover is also flush with the cab side sheet and sub compartment door, but horror of horrors I've just noted the cover is above the forward sheet that supports the hand rail bracket, I've made mine flush :headbang:.

Here's a close up of UP 1949 although she is a GP60 the same rules apply to the GP38-2 and pretty much all Spartan cabs.IMG_8900.JPG

Note welded cab window side sheet with rust blisters to the rear and this shot shows very clearly how the cabside sheet cuts under the sub compartment doors with a distinctive lip, hence the half etch area on the model side sheet, the very one causing all the recent woes. It would be very tempting to remove that half etch area under the cab sub compartment doors and battery cover on the art work to strengthen that area, then just leave the half etch doors on top, but that'd be cheating and would annoy me as much as the current problem does.

To conclude, free house point to all who are still awake at the end of this lengthy, reflective, sorrowful narrative, I wonder if I'm trying to achieve something that isn't possible or practical. Trying to take something positive away from this evening and moving forward, the stirrup latch etch does look flippin good when it catches the light, though Steph's comment about fixing rivets has me thinking about that for V03 art work LOL.

Addendum, updated with daylight etch photos and separated Taft rail fanning part out.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I did want to model 2808 but as noted above it has no nose light to test the etch work, fortunately I did see a Phase I last year, so I present 2627, my chosen prototype.
CSX 2627a.JPG
It's not obvious in the above bad light image (it's not always sunny in Florida!) but she has the bolted cab window side sheets but the notes on sub doors and platework above still apply. Note also behind a real chunky gorilla of a machine, the B40-8.......yes yes I know enough on my plate already LOL but CSX just derated a whole load to B20-8 for local switching work of which this is one, which would fit my layout plans:thumbs: and these sound really good with their massive low RPM thumping engines.
You'll have to excuse the young lads narrative though LOL, but the vid is shot from the exact same spot as the photo above at Taft.

As an aside, I've just found out that Taft intermodal closes next week so no more locos tied down outside 'Rachels' diner and 'ladies dancing' club, I think they are separate venues in the same building! Which I found kinda sad as something that brought me hours of fun and interest is going, oddly that little fact hit home harder than I thought it would, I'd grown quite affectionate to the location during my stay....the car park by the line, not the pole dancing club!! The autorack terminal closes later in the year.

Farewell Taft intermodal:( unlike the locals, I will miss you.
CSX 5377.JPG
This photo was shot 'very' early one crisp warm morning, one of those proud you made the effort to get up early photos, the track ticking as it warms up, air bleeding from the locos and those little special noises they make when cooling down and little traffic noise to drown out the wildlife, one of those extra special private moments in life of which memories are made.

And another special moment, it don't get better than this, big GE's, intermodals and family, the youngest counting intermodal wagons as R170 rolls by, it was a short one today with 107 on.
Img_9044.jpg

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Mick, I wouldn't worry too much about the slight lack of flatness on the cab sides, it looks just enough to be right, IMO. As you've demonstrated in your own pictures, very little is perfect in reality on these locomotives.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick, I wouldn't worry too much about the slight lack of flatness on the cab sides, it looks just enough to be right, IMO. As you've demonstrated in your own pictures, very little is perfect in reality on these locomotives.

Yes your probably right, but has oft been discussed, model trains need to be perfect, flat and all square, it's the ideal drummed into us from all quarters as we grow up in the hobby.

Chatting today at West Mersea I need to change my techniques, solder cream is perhaps the best medium for thin etch overlays, not the solder paste I currently have, nor as it turns out is my low melt solder the right medium, as, it turns out, is white metal low melt and not brass / NS low melt, there being a tactile difference between the two.

Still not happy with the straightness of the sub compartment doors so feel they may need to come off,be cleaned up and refitted straighter.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Re the 'rippled' sides; it's just like modelling wonky telegraph poles, lamp posts & so on.... they might lean in reality, but on a layout they just look like shoddy modelling... :rolleyes:

IIRC the rippling on loco panels is mostly the result of heat distortion as they are welded in place.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Jordan, quite so.

I did a little more last night and the mighty Capt'n cock up and his merry band made an appearance, whilst using the proxxon mini drill and slitting disc to gently remove some tabs on the cab front bulkhead, the disc shattered, grabbed the etch, wrapped it around the shaft and basically destroyed the whole left side around the door and number board.

I think I muttered something like "I didn't want to do that" or "I didn't see that coming", the wife proclaims it was a little more colourful!

Still, once extracted and recovered by removal of totally damaged parts and straightening I can move on. It is becoming clear that some areas are just too fragile to work effectively, and V04 is a must with some what is now quite substantial changes to allow easier construction, the parts fit fine, just a real hassle to do, the open door criteria is making those areas especially fraught to damage.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Yes your probably right, but has oft been discussed, model trains need to be perfect, flat and all square, it's the ideal drummed into us from all quarters as we grow up in the hobby.
Boll*cks to convention!

Look around, how much of what you see is perfect?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Boll*cks to convention!

Look around, how much of what you see is perfect?

Well, yes, that's the excuse I'm using :thumbs:

Small amount of progress, it's slowly getting there but a lot of smoke and mirrors behind the scenes to get it anywhere respectable, partially the fault of the art work, my design concepts far exceed my skills and partially I'm not skilled at my building. Rather than the odd change here and there, the next version is a huge change in thinking with a much more rigid core structure and a small sacrifice in authenticity....in that the sub cab doors will sit proud by 5 thou, though I am mind wrestling with some other ideas to see if flush doors and rigidity can be accomplished

The current half etch doors on a half etch shell is just too fragile, I can't add strength inside as that will stop the interior from sliding in and out and the number board area is just too fiddly so needs a redesign to make it more workable. What I have is ok, but it could be produced to make assembled much easier.

Tomorrow I'll form up a wooden plug for the nose and then chamfer off the top edge, I couldn't think on an effective way to keep the fold curve uniform over it's length all around the top and then all fold up into the nose shape, so it's square topped with suitable brass rod soldered inside and then filed to shape, I think 2mm rod will look about right.

IMG_3536.JPG
Engineers side with curled battery box cover just laid on for sizing and photos.

IMG_3538.JPG
Conductors side, those with beady eyes will note the door rebate is missing on the other edge and inner edge near the number board....eaten by the Proxxon mini drill:rant: So an open door on this model is not to be. To be fair that missing part of the core structure has complicated the build in that area and factory finish this will not be.

IMG_3541.JPG
Rear view, MkII will have a fully enclosed rear as far down as the cab floor level where a small bracket will be bent to attach said floor, front bulkhead will follow suit, basically the two legs either side of the engine casing are flexing too much and it's a job to keep it all square when soldering up. Rear overlays will be left and right as opposed to the complete one seen here, that'll make it easier to solder to the core rear bulkhead and save space on the art work....taken up by infilling the core rear bulkhead ironically.

As noted previously, model is CSX phase I with 81" nose, CSX being the only Railroad to run Spartan cabs with slotted vents on their battery boxes, to the best of my knowledge, dummy batteries will be modelled behind the opening eventually.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mick,
The solution to forming the noise is surely to get it all to form down from the top? Then you can get the radius edges in.
Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,
The solution to forming the noise is surely to get it all to form down from the top? Then you can get the radius edges in.
Steph
Possibly, but getting four parts to form the exact same radii inside a box is way beyond my skill set, ideally you'd need a former with a radius edge and getting that in there once one or two sides have been formed would, I think, be quite difficult. The bends would have to be exact so that the headlight cut outs align and then you'd have the problem trying to get crease sharp edges to the verticle bends.

But it is an option worth considering for the MkII art work.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Offered up my etch work to the Atlas GP35 frame I got off Ebay, fits quite well bit short on the nose and cab but I think that's Atlas being a little long with their parts or the thickness of their plastic, mind outside dimensions should be fixed so it should all match exactly.

In the foreground the nose plug to hold the part when filing the radii law of sod saw me pick some round bar from my 2mm pile, only to find once finished I'd a piece of 1.7 in there, so the radius is a little small for this test piece by my visual references.

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

Hoping to get the majority of metal work done this weekend and then work up a Plasticard interior.

Mk II progresses well in the art department so hopefully off to PPD later in the week.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I may be wrong (it has been known - often :oops: ) but isn't the GP38-2 longer than the GP35...? As per on this old thread of mine from some way back.... (scroll down).
http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/the-dreaded-f-and-soo-words-in-pictures.66/#post-3655

Edit:- The coupler cut bars on the GP35 are now the right way around...!! :rolleyes: :oops:

Edit 2:- a quick Google gives the lengths as:- GP38-2 59'2" & GP35 56'2". Hence why the frame appears too short. It is!!!
Sorry, should have been clearer.

Yes the frame is shorter but only in the engine and cooling sectors, in the cab area it should be the same length, the Spartan cab is the same for all locos, onlt the nose differs on GPs this is either 81" or 88", but the frame is still the same length, on phase II with the 88" nose the porch area is smaller, most of this and a little more is offset by the footplate extending over the anti climber. SD have can have much larger noses especially in the SD40-2 series, but the cab and battery box area remains the same.

Standard Spartan cab should be 78" front to rear bulkhead plus 81" (total 129" cab rear to bonnet front) for GP35 and GP38-2 Phase I (and other short nose GPs), the Atlas model measures out at 133", somewhere the casting is over length by 4" in the cab area. BN built some five man cabs (GP50) in an effort to remove cabooses from operation and those cabs are over 101" long with a nose reduction to 65" but still the same overall length from cab rear to nose front.

On reflection I'll probably use this test cab as a build for the GP35 frame I have and just make an engine hood to suit, there may be convenient cut lines already between the two bodies, but I suspect it'll be shorter in the engine bay with a reduction of engine room doors or something I.E right in the middel of any etch work, the electrical cubicle (behind cab) will probably be the same but the cooling section might be shorter a little as well.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Looking very good. On the radiusing of the hood edges, I have always used square section brass or nickel silver instead of round for this type of situation as it can be soldered so it is hard against both sides and there are no cavities when filing. Just file the arris until you get to the right radius. The size of the square section is not critical as long as it is larger than the radius you need to end up with. Even if using round wire you will have to file the round down to blend the thickness of the sheet metal around the curve.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Looking very good. On the radiusing of the hood edges, I have always used square section brass or nickel silver instead of round for this type of situation as it can be soldered so it is hard against both sides and there are no cavities when filing. Just file the arris until you get to the right radius. The size of the square section is not critical as long as it is larger than the radius you need to end up with. Even if using round wire you will have to file the round down to blend the thickness of the sheet metal around the curve.

Bink....and the light comes on!

Excellent suggestion and one I'll use next time, the nose does have a slight droop so the angle between the front faces and top is probably nearer 91° but the sides are 90°, I could slightly chamfer the front bits to make a snug fit, but overall it'll be easier than round bar.

AJC

Western Thunderer
I'm really impressed with the project so far Mick; sheet metal really is an effective medium for the cab here and I quite agree that shaping rather than forming is the best bet for getting a consistent result on the nose. I shall remember the tip on the square section too though it's probably less applicable in 4mm simply because the size of these joints will be smaller and thus easier to lead in.

Adam