Western Thunder reloaded

28ten

Guv'nor
I have been working on the new added features and most things appear to be working...... current passwords work and all personal details have imported successfully. Changes you will notice are the addition of a gallery and a new landing page, (which is work in progress ) and increased protection for your images. from now only members will be able to view the gallery or pictures in posts. Oh and image resizing works :thumbs: , although it is still preferable to resize to 800x600 before uploading, in addition bulk uploads are now possible. From my point of view the admin is much easier (anybody who has used PHPBB will agree that it is a bit of a pig) although I am still playing with a few settings and removing some 'features'
If all goes well I am hoping to go live this weekend which will mean shutting down for an hour or so and re exporting all the data to the new database, this forum will then be locked. Between now and then the new site is now operational and you are free to log in and check out the new features and find bugs :laugh:
Should you have any problems or questions could you please post in this thread . ]Anything you post on the new site will be erased when I do the final transfer so by all means make some test posts nut anything you add will not be there after the transfer.
This is the new landing page http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/simpleforum/index.php you can access this forum from the navigation bar of you can go straight to the forum with http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/simpleforum/index.php?action=forum.
Once everything is live http://www.westernthunder.co.uk will take you straight to the new landing page rather than here.
Fingers crossed everyone finds it an improvement, but if you have any suggestions please make them in thei thread

I should add that if it isnt working properly then the transfer will be delayed as there is no desperate urgency to make the jump

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric,

tried the new landing page by logging in, and my password was not accepted, went through the 'forgotten password' phase, it was accepted, then when I went back, was not accepted - is it too early in the morning for me?

regards

Mike

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I logged in okay but the "Log In" bit on the top banner was still there afterwards, not a picture...
Some of the transferred threads aren't complete but as I understand it those are just tests?

The only thing that I really want to know is :- will I have to change the Bookmarked Link at my end, especially as the Forum Index is my Home Page too.. :cool: :scratch: ;)

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan said:
I logged in okay but the "Log In" bit on the top banner was still there afterwards, not a picture...
Some of the transferred threads aren't complete but as I understand it those are just tests?

The only thing that I really want to know is :- will I have to change the Bookmarked Link at my end, especially as the Forum Index is my Home Page too.. :cool: :scratch: ;)
I will check the login issue tonight. the threads are just a snapshot from Monday when I did a test populating the new database.

www.westernthunder.co.uk will get you there, I have uploaded a redirection script :thumbs: Dont worry its my home page as well :scratch:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
:scratch: Just been having a good mooch about on the new format & while I realise there are a few things to iron out, I would say it all looks very impressive indeed :D :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Phill :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
Thanks Phill.
there are some gallery features that I need to set up, but one good feature is the way a thread is automatically created when a gallery is made http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/simpleforum/index.php/topic,442.0.html. I will be disabling comments and ratings for pictures to streamline the process, but it has a lot of potential for collections. I wouldnt want to see it used for workbench type photos, it should be more of a combined resource/showcase.

28ten

Guv'nor
My testing has gone pretty well and all the core features seem to be working correctly I will close the test board for a while tomorrow morning so I can do a final test conversion and then do it all for real on Saturday morning, when both boards will be closed for an hour or so.
If you havent already done so please try a test login and/or a test post :D

28ten

Guv'nor
I did another test conversion this morning and all has gone well :thumbs: the new forum will now be off line until tomorrow and the completed transition. Thank you to those who tested :thumbs: