What we've lost

Neil

Western Thunderer
In other places I've had past debates about the new Porthmadog - Caernarfon WHR. I've always struggled to fully explain why I think that there's been as much lost as gained by its rebuilding. Now I think I can. For some years I've been looking on youtube for a particular piece of film that i first saw as a young boy. My mum had gone into hospital for a minor operation, and after visiting her one evening my Dad took me and my brother to see a railway themed film show at the Joseph rowntree Theatre in York. I remember some of the other films, there was the ever popular Snow Drift at Bleath Gill, something about Italian Railways and another on the Blue Pullman but the one that really captured my imagination was Railway with a Heart of Gold. A short version of this is/was available at the NRM on one of their video players in the main hall in narrow gauge corner.
, and is well worth fifteen minutes of your time. Try and hold in your mind the ramshackle atmosphere, the sense that time hadn't really moved on in the Fathew Valley, the pace and scale of operations; compare with todays mass market tourist operations and be prepared to weep.

28ten

Guv'nor
I totally agree. I find today's incarnation devoid of all charm, it just feels like a commercial operation. That's a lovely clip that rather reminds me of the Titfield thunderbolt, a time and pace of life that has disappeared

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
An absolutely wonderful piece of footage Neil, well hunted down.

It really does show a time that will never again be captured, I can only share your sentiments about what we've lost.

Should have come with a 'goat*' warning mind  :))

Steve

*goat: Going Off At a Tangent. A distraction or flight of fancy. Internet or modelling time hoover.
Having a goat moment - doing something else instead of what should be done.
Originator Mr S Castens 4th Jan 2009

S

Simon Dunkley

28ten said:
That's a lovely clip that rather reminds me of the Titfield thunderbolt, a time and pace of life that has disappeared
Except, of course, in Bath... ...where the Titfield Thunderbolt is alive and well!

(Do you really want to go back to those times? Nostalgia means we forget the downsides: rationing still in place, very little spare time or disposable income, a slow pace of life because you relied on a public transport system that was not very well run...)

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
28ten said:
I totally agree. I find today's incarnation devoid of all charm, it just feels like a commercial operation.
I've read that sort of description about the Ffestiniog, in one of the Steam "Heritage" mags I think. Never been on that one myself; somehow the first preserved line of them all, the Talylln, seems to retain 'atmosphere'.
In fact I'd say that 'atmosphere' is as difficult for the Heritage Lines to achieve as it can be for a model railway - you certainly don't get it just by throwing a load of equipment together and running trains... :scratch:

Neil

Western Thunderer
Simon Dunkley said:
.... Do you really want to go back to those times? Nostalgia means we forget the downsides: rationing still in place, very little spare time or disposable income, a slow pace of life because you relied on a public transport system that was not very well run.

Yes please, and with the exception of the rationing I largely do.