What's This Plant?

JimG

Western Thunderer
I've been trying to get my back garden back into shape after it had been sadly neglected during the past two years with my travails of a broken hip, Covid and dodgy hip joints. :) I've been trying to get the lawn into some sort of shape and found a plant growing in several places. When I cut the lawn a week or two ago, I just mowed over the plants hoping that that might dissuade them trying to grow, but back they came with a vengeance. I've no idea what the plant is and I've spent a fair bit of time on the Internet trying to find out what it might be. So I wondered if there were some experts on our forum who might know. :)

Here are some pictures of a leaf :)

Weed-01.jpg

Leaf top

Weed-02.jpg

Close up of leaf top and "projections" - I dare say there is a proper botanical term. :)

Weed-03.jpg

Back of leaf showing the small (slightly out of focus) thorns on the leaf stem.

Weed-04.jpg

A plant in situ. The leaves are about 8"/200mm long. I don't know if it is significant, but the plants surround the base of the plum tree and I can't see any other examples elsewhere in the garden.

Jim.

Last edited:

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
As Jim started it, anyone know what this Welsh bush is? Just spent an excellent week in Llanberis with the grandsons riding the narrow gauge rails and there were loads of these plants and I have have no idea what it is.
Welsh plant.jpg

daifly

Western Thunderer
It looks like a variety of rhododendron but the very low resolution of the photo doesn’t allow close examination of the leaves and flowers to make a positive identification.
Dvae

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
RAGGED ROBIN:
View attachment 164513

RUGGED ROBIN:
View attachment 164514
And yes, for the birdwatchers that is a Seagull on the back.
How very appropriate. Sorry about the photo quality, its the new-ish iPhone 11 someone gave me with fantastic camera but either I keep smearing the lens with finger marks or it doesn't focus very well. As a retired transport engineer myself its has always grieved me that the only car called Robin was the bloody Reliant 3 wheeler but Tony's toughened one is much more masculine, thanks.
Robin

simond

Western Thunderer
Talking of Seagulls, If anyone would like one, I have several, and no need for them.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
How very appropriate. Sorry about the photo quality, its the new-ish iPhone 11 someone gave me with fantastic camera but either I keep smearing the lens with finger marks or it doesn't focus very well. As a retired transport engineer myself its has always grieved me that the only car called Robin was the bloody Reliant 3 wheeler but Tony's toughened one is much more masculine, thanks.
Robin
Look on the bright side Robin you could have been christened TW9

TW9.jpg
Col. :D...........sorry Jim we're morphing into the Petrol heads thread somehow, back to plants.:rolleyes:

Bagnall built

it looks like a teasel plant , they get everywhere ,
View attachment 164395

A plant in situ. The leaves are about 8"/200mm long. I don't know if it is significant, but the plants surround the base of the plum tree and I can't see any other examples elsewhere in the garden.

Jim.

if someone feeds birds around you then its probably come from that , our garden is full of them for my dad feeding the woodland birds etc .