7mm IGA Cargowaggon Flat (Appleby Model Engineering)

marsa69

Western Thunderer
and Railtec take forever, even for a quote!

You must have had a bad experience Mike because I had exemplary service from them when I wanted my transfers for my 950 unit. Unless it was because they already had them in 4mm which would probably explain the speedy service,

Mark

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark,

I sent a 'very pleased with the transfers' email on 17th May in paragraph two, I asked for a quote for transfers for KDW150266, attaching pictures etc, had a query by return, which I responded to, I then sent an email at the end of June pointing out that I was still waiting and in the same email, ordered 6 sets of 'speed restriction' transfers for the D2046 Inspection saloons (a repeat but bigger quantity) paid by Paypal and only received 3 sets!! I am still waiting for the quote - hence my self production.

cheers

Mike

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

No worries, it's obviously one of those where you get good service one day then shoddy service the next :rolleyes:

Mark

Western Thunderer
I seem to remember hearing something to that effect but the website is still up and it doesn't say you can't order anything.

The way I was thinking of going was to use the sheet from Scale Model Transfers and then produce a small transfer sheet that contains everything else.

As you say white is always the problem.

If it comes down to having to do all the decals then I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and do them but it would be useful to talk to someone like Tom at the same time and cram as much as possible into the design work.

Hi Simon, :thumbs:

I have sent 2 emails to Scale Model Transfers, requesting a certain transfer sheet that they advertise, but had no reply to either. They do a lot of transfers for RTC that i want. :(

Steve :cool:

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
I seem to remember hearing something to that effect but the website is still up and it doesn't say you can't order anything.

The way I was thinking of going was to use the sheet from Scale Model Transfers and then produce a small transfer sheet that contains everything else.

If it comes down to having to do all the decals then I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and do them but it would be useful to talk to someone like Tom at the same time and cram as much as possible into the design work.

Thanks for the replies. Scale Model Transfers is now more. I believe he suffered a stroke/something rather bad and is unable to do much. His family returned some parts he had ages ago, apologised for not being able to honour the order and explained that Frank has suffered some serious medical problem and is unable to do anything. As for why the website is still up I don't know but I should think caring for Frank is their main concern.

Railtec are really busy nowadays and Precision replied saying they won't do commissions anymore.

If you fancy having a go Simon I can email you the pic and the dimensional ones?

Cheers

Tom

Western Thunderer
Maybe Railtec or some other person/s / company could get in touch & purchase the stock & originals ?. There is a market out there for these transfers :thumbs:

Steve :cool:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
they were a test print.

I understand. Please don't think I'm criticising you. It's just I'm a registered fontaholic, and seeing Arial used anywhere brings on a migraine.

Let me explain: Arial is a font designed for Microsoft as they were cheapskates and didn't want to license Helvetica for their operating systems to use (not completely true, but that's what can be read between the lines of the official history). Arial was designed in 1982, so it ought not to appear on anything that is supposed to date from before then, and to be honest ought not appear on anything since, much like Comic Sans. ;)

Now, the argument could be that even Helvetica is wrong, as the correct typeface for British Rail use is Transport, the same font designed for use on road signs in the early 1960s and still in use there today. Helvetica could be considered close enough to get away with for most generic labelling on rolling stock. Only type dweebs like me might spot the differences between Helvetica and Transport.

Equally, many workshops probably wouldn't use vinyl lettering on things like cranes, and might revert to the time-honoured pot of paint and brush.

Sorry. It must be the heat. I seem to have wandered off into a fontaholic daze. :confused::thumbs:

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
I understand. Please don't think I'm criticising you. It's just I'm a registered fontaholic, and seeing Arial used anywhere brings on a migraine.

Sorry. It must be the heat. I seem to have wandered off into a fontaholic daze. :confused::thumbs:

Hi Heather,

Being the resident font expert, which fonts are BR blue white loco numbers, and the small black ones on the front (if they're different) done in please?

Cheers

Tom

Overseer

Western Thunderer
For anyone looking for another distraction, software is available to make your own fonts without much difficulty, or to modify existing fonts. Type 3.2 is available to download from CR8software.net in New Zealand. The basic version is free and the full version is US$65. I purchased the full version because it has an auto trace feature which makes converting drawn glyphs (letters or numerals) very quick. Just scan, insert, trace and a bit of tweaking of bezier curves and its done. I am in the process of creating fonts for some of the hand painted writing on wagons and for building signage.

4D Modelshop in London offer a very efficient dry transfer printing service. I have a couple of sheets they did for me in 2000 which are still fine to use. Another alternative which I am in the process of assessing is the 'DecalPro fx' system from USA for making your own dry transfers, but I am missing one of the vital components at the moment so don't have any first hand knowledge of it yet. I will report on the results when I get it going.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Being the resident font expert, which fonts are BR blue white loco numbers, and the small black ones on the front (if they're different) done in please?

They should be the same, technically Transport Medium.

Transport was the standard font selected for use across the board until the deregulation of the 1990s.

I'm sure someone linked to a PDF or web site with the entire corporate identity manual for BR from 1965 onwards. Let me do some digging.

Aha! Here you go:
http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/british-rail-corporate-identity-manual.2798/

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
BBC4 aired a series last year about british motorways which included a good interview with Margaret Calvert, one of the designers of the Rail Alphabet and Transport fonts, neither of which are publicly available.

However she has recently released a slightly altered version called New Rail Alphabet and the minor changes should help when used for small transfers. See http://www.newrailalphabet.co.uk/

As for DIY fonts from scans, I hope its alot easier than it was in the 90s. I remember it taking 2 or 3 hours per glyph using Streamline, Freehand and Fontographer, a really boring job.

(count me in as somewhat of a typography geek ;))

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
After some of the comments I received I've had another go at the wood. Still not there but I feel it's looking better colour wise than before, despite the grain effect. I've also been doing some weathering. I'm aiming for a look as if to say it's been in service for about a year. Not covered in crud but getting dirty and marked.
IGA OVERALL 2.jpgIGA SCRATCHING 3.jpgIGA BOGIE 1.jpgIGA WOOD 4.jpg

I find taking some pics blows everything up and helps you get more of a feel for it. I'm going to have to carry on and build up a bit more on the weathering front. The ends aren't there yet, and I've got to work out what to do on the wood deck. It's too uniform at the moment. What would your line of attack be?

Cheers

Tom

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Looking very nice indeed Tom! I'd go over some of the planks with some ever-so-slightly different colours, that slight variety will make a big difference IMO.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jon, I'm finding the wood and the bogies the hardest parts. I'm still not satisfied with them...

Cheers

Tom

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Looking very nice indeed Tom! I'd go over some of the planks with some ever-so-slightly different colours, that slight variety will make a big difference IMO.
Thanks Pugs. Do you mean adding a filter over them or adding more dry brushed wood grain colours?

Cheers

Tom