A Garden Railway Pipedream: the odyssey continues

isambardme

Western Thunderer
I don't think the gas supply can do anything for the speed, merely increase/decrease the rate at which steam is created. So it can reduce the propensity to stall through lack of steam if that's what you meant. I ended the session after 35 minutes, but I hadn't exhausted the gas. I shall time a full running session when I am more familiar with the locomotive.

Richard

On 16mm gas powered locos it is well known that you reduce the gas supply soon after starting, otherwise the excess gas can produce too much steam & the safety valves blow off, wasting power & reducing the running time, no matter how careful you try to be with the regulator. The 16mm locos use a 'poker' burner, however although the earlier Bowande Gauge 1 locos used a 'poker' design variant, that was soon replaced with a ceramic burner. Some of Bowande's A4's are known to have had issues with a lack of power hauling a rake of say 6 coaches. As the latest G1MRA magazine article shows, replacing the original ceramic burner with a new burner having substantially more holes has cured this. I had wondered before seeing the video how good the ceramic burners on the new Duchess would be. Clearly all is well. Phew! Meanwhile, well done for getting a 35 mins run with gas to spare . Further running in and operator familiarity should lead to even better runs for us to watch enviously while locked down!

Steve
I don't think the gas supply can do anything for the speed, merely increase/decrease the rate at which steam is created. So it can reduce the propensity to stall through lack of steam if that's what you meant. I ended the session after 35 minutes, but I hadn't exhausted the gas. I shall time a full running session when I am more familiar with the locomotive.

Richard

isambardme

Western Thunderer
I also took some stills today. The garden is looking good, and I wanted to capture the attraction of a garden railway.

Bollocks, I just like a maroon Duchess:)

View attachment 123474

View attachment 123475

View attachment 123476

View attachment 123477

Richard

I think those still photos capture the essence of why we love garden railways. Brilliant shots of a red Duchess in the sun with attractive scenery & blue sky behind. Who said 'Wish I was there!'.

We will see what Uncle Boris says this Sunday. Perhaps wearing masks with a 2 metre spacing between people when outside may be possible at some time fairly soon?
Maybe as long as we are doing some form of exercise?
- Like running round after a meths powered contraption?;):)

Cheers,

Steve

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Thank you.

Last set (promise) showing the final part of the rockeries planted out:
P1010022c.jpg

P1010024a.jpg
The rockeries absorbed 45 plants, and they all seem to be still growing!

We are also preparing the ground for a slate chipping path, but that will have to wait for the quarries to reopen.

P1010023a.jpg
We will now start planting out under the baseboards to the right of the rockery.

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Thanks Mick,

With the relaxation of rules, We had a mini meet for German DCC running. It didn't take too long to clean the layout from the previous live steam running, and the only issue was the fact that it took a while to realise that we needed my 10 amp system rather than Tim's portable 5 amp system. Once that had been sorted, we could sit in the sun!

Richard

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The pick of the lot for me is that Baden 75. I think the Saxon BR75.5 series were marginally prettier, but there's not much in it. If anyone did any of the larger Saxon locos in G1 I'd be having a very difficult time. :)

The BR38 would not have been able to lift that train of hoppers in real life. Even on the DR, oil-burning BR44 were limited to 24 hoppers; any more than that would have required double heading. Coal burners were typically down to around 18-20 before double heading was called for.

Lovely pictures, it reminds me well of the fun I had modelling German outline.

Steph

michael080

Western Thunderer
Fully agree, the badische IVc is a real beauty.
Did you know that the only survivor, 75 1118 once was the first price at a tombola? The winner, a student, was a bit overstrained with the price.
It is running today on the heritage line Amstetten-Gerstetten close to the Geislinger Steige.

Michael

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Fully agree, the badische IVc is a real beauty.
Did you know that the only survivor, 75 1118 once was the first price at a tombola?

I've not heard that story, no! That's one of those occasions when you're not sure you want to win the prize or not :confused:

Steph

isambardme

Western Thunderer
I also took some video from Tuesday's running and have just got round to processing it.

1) Rebuilt Merchant Navy

2) German outline

3) Around the garden

Richard
Particularly liked the camera's eye trip around the garden line, especially when another train rushes past complete with dcc sounds. Great fun & isn't that what garden railways are all about!
Steve