A village for Acorn Wood

Stuart Birks

With the church being a success I decided to build part of a village to go with it. The buildings are based on real buildings from the Cotswolds but not in this layout. The main features of Cotswold buildings are the colour of the stone which is dressed on the front but is often left rougher cut where it doesn't show and the roofs which are limestone tiles. These tiles were hard to make and so a significant feature is that they used large tiles on the lower part of the roof and gradually got smaller towards the top.
The windows are a mix of making moulds and casting frames in the same way as I did for the church but also I drew some frames and doors in CAD and had them photo etched in brass. For the varying tile sizes on the roofs I could think of no other way than to cut individual tiles and glue them on.

IMG_2808a.JPG

IMG_2812a.JPG

IMG_2820a.JPG

It doesn't show well in these photos but there are stone courses and half timbering scribed into the white plastic.

IMG_2819.JPG

Sorry about the awful colour balance. The camera was not happy with just white and brown as colours and so made a mess of it.

Stuart

Stuart Birks

Thanks for the comments.
I didnt take any more pictures during construction so here are the finished buildings. I normally reduce the size of the pictures I upload to reduce the time they take to load but in this case I have uploaded them at full size as they are worth zooming in to see some of the details.

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

Stuart

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A mere "like" isn’t really sufficient. I can’t wait to see the group in place in the scene, populated with suitable figures, and with more ingrained grime around the gulleys and crevices. Superb work. My hat is truly doffed.

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
A mere "like" isn’t really sufficient. I can’t wait to see the group in place in the scene, populated with suitable figures, and with more ingrained grime around the gulleys and crevices. Superb work. My hat is truly doffed.
I couldn’t agree more! These buildings are truly exquisite and really capture the essence of Cotswold village buildings. Beautiful!

Nigel

Stuart Birks

This is the finished scene. There are about 50 people in the market but it is nowhere near enough. I just got fed up with painting people.

IMG_6857.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4611.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

The market stalls are just plastic strip with tissue paper roofs. I did buy some of the Langley ones but I was not very happy with them so made my own.
Stuart