Air Compressors - what to buy?

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
That is the one thing I noted that raised a question that I will ask SGS customer support before buying. Though the 50 litre tank model would probably not be in the same space but outside my spray “shed”.

My post was as much for the set up guide as a suggestion to buy a small compressor.

the BAMBI range certainly looks very good.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Well, I got a quick response from SGS, acknowledging that the 50 litre tank compressor “makes a little noise, that’s for sure”!

In my case a large compressor is a necessary evil for my vintage car and other projects so I plan to house one in a separate sound insulated space. The “man cave” I am planning (which is taking up valuable modelling time) is remote from the houses around us.

SGS say that “coming soon” will be a bundled compressor package with the main accessories for cleaning and spraying. I shall look into this next.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul , if the bundle is anything like the one we used when we sold a compressor bundle then dont bother . The hose is usually a coil type that ties itself in knots , the spray gun will be good for painting your fence , the blow gun will be good for a while . Some have a kero gun which could be good for cleaning engines etc but is also good for spraying your fence and some come with a quick connect fitting that only the Italians use so isnt available anywhere else .
Personally i would ask if they can take the price of the kit off the price of the compressor even if its their cost price , worth a try .
If you have a compressor already which i noticed already has a pressure regulator and filter why not use that . I have something similar ( 8cfm & 50 litre tank ) which when needed i then plug in a hose assembly with a second filter/ reg and fittings for my airbrush to snap into , that is all that hose ever gets used for .
Cheers Paul

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
. . . so I plan to house one in a separate sound insulated space.

Suggest checking with the supplier if there is a minimum volumetric size that shouldn't be made smaller if 'boxing' up a compressor, to allow it to breath and not become hot and bothered.

Was alerted to this when the spec. for my large compressor asked for more headroom than the workshop ceiling provides.

simond

Western Thunderer
I had a new experience at work today, our compressors live in a security cage outside the factory, the machinist came up very worried about 3 past 8 saying there was no air. The air dryer is indoors, mounted high up, and is connected to a vertical pipe which comes up from the regulator outside the building which is fed from the compressors. There must have been condensate in that pipe which had frozen...

Guess what I’m doing tomorrow ...

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I once went out with a big artic loader to a road tanker full of kerosene to dig it out of a huge snowdrift in which it had been stuck for 5 hours, together with a JCB that had tried to rescue it earlier.
The air brake system had frozen right up with condensate, but fortuitously the van that was stuck right behind the tanker happened to be occupied by a plumber.
I then had to spend 20 minutes underneath the tanker with a blowlamp purloined from the van, thawing out lines and valves that were a little too close to the leaky discharge pump and pipework for comfort (see, you can sometimes find a plumber when you need one :D).

I've never been so relieved to hear the hiss of escaping air! smiley sweat.gif

Enjoy your thawing out job tomorrow, its going to be -11 deg. here tonight!

simond

Western Thunderer
It’s a red sky here this morning, and a balmy -2C.

if I’ve got the bits I’ll add an airline socket at the T where the pipe come into the building, then at least, the lads can blow it down once in a while.

Atb
Simon