Bank Top Yard (Industrial)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
What better way to recover from hospital surgery than a new layout. It beats any medicine hands down, in my opinion!

Bank Top Yard will be a shunting layout, used for slow, realistic movements of wagons around the yard to a fiddle yard off scene. There will be no run round loop and any run rounds will take place off scene making wagons needing to be pulled or propelled. The trackplan is to be kept as minimal as possible with only 5 sidings, one of which will serve a small, simple corrugated shed for basic colliery supplies.

Experimenting here with some ideas around the basic trackplan a long time ago. Entry and exit of the yard will be from the line on the left and will lead off-scene eventually.

DSC_1109.JPG

The area isn't based anywhere in particular, however I am after an NCB theme within the Western/North West Area around the late 1960's and into the 1970's.
I am intending to have as few buildings as possible to give the layout a spacious, forgotten yard feel at the end of a colliery branch. Some NCB supplies will be catered for by the corrugated shed along with a water tank and a few buildings of industrial use as well as the usual ground detailing.

Huge inspiration for this layout has been found in the excellent modelling of Bleat Wharf by Rob from South Wales. His expert modelling skills have given me much encouragement to get this layout progressing. It was an absolute pleasure to speak with Rob and watch Bleat Wharf at Taunton Railex in 2022.

I have spent the last few weeks testing the layout thoroughly with the locomotives I intend to use to ensure smooth operation and have been slowly ballasting each section at a time whilst continuing to test.
  • Kerr Stuart Victory Class (Planet Industrials)
  • Hunslet Austerities (DJ Models & EFE Rail)
  • Hunslet 16 inch saddle tank (Rapido)
  • Pannier tanks (Bachmann)
  • W4 Peckett (Hornby)
  • 08 shunters (Bachmann & Hornby)
    • (All locomotives and stock appropriately weathered)
IMG_20230227_145649.jpg
IMG_20230227_145703.jpg

IMG_20230227_145828.jpg

IMG_20230308_185135.jpg

I painted the sides of the rails with Humbrol Enamel which works well for me amongst the ballasting.

I'm after the yard being an overgrown and forgotten end used mainly for shunting and storing wagons from an off scene colliery. As such, I have been excited to learn and use the technique of static grass among the rails and the rough ground of the yard. So far this seems to be working well around the buffer stops and I am continuing to do this more widely as I go. I am weathering the 'tarmac' ground by hand with a mixture of powders and brushing/rubbing/wiping around. There will be minimal road transport on the layout, just a worn out van and a Mini Clubman of the period.

IMG-20230228-WA0000.jpeg

Eventually the layout will sit on stands around 5ft 7/8 inches high to allow me to operate with a frame and adequate lighting, perfect for slow shunting to while away an hour or three.

Thanks for looking.
Chris :)

Last edited:

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Looks a great little project Chris. I look forward to seeing more

Any chance you could share a track plan? You can't quite get a full picture form the images

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

Great to see the new layout taking shape. Really does look like an excellent project. I was due to return to Taunton this year with Sheep Dip but sadly it clashes with the Uckfield show where I have Ewe on display.

I must say I like the stable of locos you've pulled together as well. Very nice.

I shall enjoy seeing it all come together.

Rob.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Thank you very much and not a problem.

Trackplan.png

The main line from the outside world comes in top right and leads into one of 3 sidings on the left. The lower of which then kicks back into 2 other sidings on the right.

Currently I'm enjoying learning and playing around with static grass, an area of modelling which I haven't fully explored using myself until now. The results are pleasing anyway.

So far I've been weathering around some of the yard on the ground to make it less light grey and beginning to add grass and shaggy areas around the buffer stops and corrugated shed - this also has had some modifications and will have more over time including some climbing weeds and more of a run down appearance.

IMG_20230308_185314.jpg

IMG_20230308_185428.jpg
'Linda', one of 3 resident Hunslet Austerity girls posing as usual.

I've been experimenting with different grass lengths to try and get the desired effect. Ideally the mid to late summer look with some lighter tones to show damp and growth with scorched and dead strands from the heat.

IMG_20230308_185629.jpg

IMG_20230308_185733.jpg
Pannier 9608 pottering around.

Additionally, I've been adding smaller tufts here and there in the 4 foot and cess areas around the yard. I have a pack of these little gems from years ago that I recently happened to stumble on in the modelling boxes, again, to give that woebegone look. These will increase around the yard for sure as we progress.

IMG_20230308_185521.jpg

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris
Very well detailed track with a lovely hint of growth, very realistic.
Hmm a nod to the beloved Just so stories I think...woebegone...
Looking forward to more photos.
All the best and of course welcome.
Julian

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris.
Lovely work you are progressing nicely is the layout DCC Controlled?
Hi David,
No the layout is DC only. I am keeping things simple for now and demonstrating a detailed layout that can be built quickly and within a personal budget. Never say never but I haven't ventured down the road of DCC at all yet, for anything so I'd be stumbling in the dark...

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris
Very well detailed track with a lovely hint of growth, very realistic.
Hmm a nod to the beloved Just so stories I think...woebegone...
Looking forward to more photos.
All the best and of course welcome.
Julian
Hi Julian,
Many thanks indeed for the warm welcome.
Yes, for sure. I'm hoping to give the layout one of those warm looks where you could spend a while just watching some shunting from the lineside in the warmth of the afternoon sun.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
One thing I do like to do with all locomotives that I use is to ensure they are weathered and have the necessary accessories - crew, coal in the bunker/tender, lamps (where applicable), fire irons and any other necessities.

Here is a good example. 'Linda' has been weathered and renamed from her original release as one of Bachmann's EFE range. I enjoy spending time painting figures for cameo scenes on layouts and here is fireman Owen Drylow taking five minutes between duties, probably considering if there's any overtime available.

'Linda' is a smooth runner and perfect for what will be asked of her on Bank Top Yard. I've scoured books and the web for any real Austerity 0-6-0 tanks with the same name back in the day but can't find any. I was after one that didn't exist when renaming took place but I could have missed one...?
Nevertheless, the name 'Linda' has Spanish origins and means beautiful and pretty. I think she is too and the chaps keep her in good, clean(ish) condition.

IMG_20230308_185603.jpg

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

Great to see the new layout taking shape. Really does look like an excellent project. I was due to return to Taunton this year with Sheep Dip but sadly it clashes with the Uckfield show where I have Ewe on display.

I must say I like the stable of locos you've pulled together as well. Very nice.

I shall enjoy seeing it all come together.

Rob.
Hi Rob,

Good to hear from you again. Ah, not to worry. I'm sure I'll catch you around at another local show some point in the near future.

I'm happy with the loco choices too. The quality of some of these newer manufacturers now coming onto the scene with industrial locos is very much welcomed and appealing. I have my beady eye on one of the 15xx tanks from Rapido. Now then...!

1501-at-an-ncb-coventry-colliery-march-1967.jpg

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
This afternoon I've been making a start on a suitable base for the disused yard crane which will sit in Bank Top Yard on the same siding as the corrugated goods shed, which in itself will have seen better days.

I wanted a decent base with a raised feeling. Nothing too excessive, just enough to raise the crane from the ground. I raided the cupboard and cut 4 identical circles from a cereal box. Being a former primary school teacher, I knew these plastic shapes would come in handy for drawing around at some point in the future. ;)

IMG_20230310_162021.jpg

These were then glued together and the top circle moderately scored into quarters.

IMG_20230310_162319.jpg

IMG_20230310_162400.jpg

The base will receive a coating of grey enamel once dry with added weathering and will be permanently fixed at a later date. As for the 'broken' crane, this will also need some enhancing at some point with weathering to show that it is no longer in use and ready for the scrapyard.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris
Your not alone I am also using the time honoured DC control it’s not that I dislike DCC on the contrary I think DCC
is marvellous I just like old controllers and equipment.
David.
Hi David,
I agree with you here. I think DCC is marvellous and we have been exploring the benefits of this at our local club as we have a new large layout under construction. However, I don't think I'll be venturing down this avenue just yet. I'm happy with just using my imagination and sounds on in the background (not necessarily always railway sounds either) during running sessions.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris
Around 2007 I think I’ve forgotten now a Driver friend of mine asked me if I could build a G gauge or Gauge 1 garden railway for him and I did it was a big undertaking consisting of 750 kg of Cypress stakes for the support of the track plus the Jarrah decking and Ten metric tons exactly of concrete garden lock blocks plus the foundations for the garden and railway perimeters there is over 400 feet of track. In the beginning it was just 12 VDC worked by Bachmann controllers which worked reasonably well considering the track got covered in gum tree stain ect, around 2010 he decided to go DCC using hand held LGB DCC radio control, the control and working of the trains changed in a instant so much better almost faultless and the track didn’t need to be cleaned as much that taught me how good DCC was for outdoors plus the advantage of automatic return loops which he has 2 and all control of points in his hand, it is still running today with no faults, the biggest problems he had were the 4 amp decoders frying due to most locos having Two massive motors so we soon discovered he needed 8amp ones with 30 amp stall capabilities these are around
31/2 “long once we change to these heavy duty ones then all was good .
I have attached here a link to his YouTube video you might like to see a camera was fitted to the front of a flat car and pushed around with a GP9 loco.

David.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris
Around 2007 I think I’ve forgotten now a Driver friend of mine asked me if I could build a G gauge or Gauge 1 garden railway for him and I did it was a big undertaking consisting of 750 kg of Cypress stakes for the support of the track plus the Jarrah decking and Ten metric tons exactly of concrete garden lock blocks plus the foundations for the garden and railway perimeters there is over 400 feet of track. In the beginning it was just 12 VDC worked by Bachmann controllers which worked reasonably well considering the track got covered in gum tree stain ect, around 2010 he decided to go DCC using hand held LGB DCC radio control, the control and working of the trains changed in a instant so much better almost faultless and the track didn’t need to be cleaned as much that taught me how good DCC was for outdoors plus the advantage of automatic return loops which he has 2 and all control of points in his hand, it is still running today with no faults, the biggest problems he had were the 4 amp decoders frying due to most locos having Two massive motors so we soon discovered he needed 8amp ones with 30 amp stall capabilities these are around
31/2 “long once we change to these heavy duty ones then all was good .
I have attached here a link to his YouTube video you might like to see a camera was fitted to the front of a flat car and pushed around with a GP9 loco.

David.
Hi David,

This looks a very impressive garden railway set up, thank you for sharing.
I guess in time I will explore the benefits of DCC here with my own layouts. I mean, if i was starting all over again or coming to the hobby from scratch then I'd most certainly venture down the DCC route.

We had a guy visiting our local model club last year to give us a demo on DCC. I'm on of the youngest members of our club and I grasped the benefits and operation of using DCC but most of our other chaps looked as though the visitor was speaking a different language.

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
One thing I do like to do with all locomotives that I use is to ensure they are weathered and have the necessary accessories - crew, coal in the bunker/tender, lamps (where applicable), fire irons and any other necessities.

Here is a good example. 'Linda' has been weathered and renamed from her original release as one of Bachmann's EFE range. I enjoy spending time painting figures for cameo scenes on layouts and here is fireman Owen Drylow taking five minutes between duties, probably considering if there's any overtime available.

'Linda' is a smooth runner and perfect for what will be asked of her on Bank Top Yard. I've scoured books and the web for any real Austerity 0-6-0 tanks with the same name back in the day but can't find any. I was after one that didn't exist when renaming took place but I could have missed one...?
Nevertheless, the name 'Linda' has Spanish origins and means beautiful and pretty. I think she is too and the chaps keep her in good, clean(ish) condition.

View attachment 182311

Chris, there was a Hunslet named "Linda", works no. 3781 of 1952. She's now preserved, albeit in a different form...

5BF4A500-86F8-4471-856E-3B6ED75F6325.jpeg834DE585-6EAC-462E-8C0C-13E9273D3D5B.jpeg

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Chris, there was a Hunslet named "Linda", works no. 3781 of 1952. She's now preserved, albeit in a different form...

View attachment 182440View attachment 182441
Hi Paul,

Top man, thank you! So it seems 'Linda' was a south Welsh girl at Maesteg. Tidy! :)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Will the real 'Linda' please stand up (or at least give a whistle)!

Many thanks for the photo of the real 'Linda', Phil. It's good to know that she is still with us too and safe and sound.

As for Bank Top Yard's 'Linda'. We had a nice shot lined up and then some bright spark turns up in his van and gets in the way...!

IMG_20230312_182503.jpg

Oh hang on, he's taken the hint...

IMG_20230312_182520.jpg

But only gone around the corner...

IMG_20230312_182609.jpg

Still, pannier looks pretty and we don't mind her getting in the way.

IMG_20230312_182652.jpg

Crane base still needs painting. One job for this evening...