Blacker Lane Disposal Point NCBOE (4mm/OO)

David Waite

Western Thunderer
I really had to look twice at the photo of the lorry under the bridge. Obviously, that’s a photo of the real thing you have put in for comparison.

A really impressive and interesting layout.
Yes I think the driver has got out of the cab and is the one taking the photo.
David.

Dave

Western Thunderer
The conveyor to connect the two buildings together.
20240112_161504.jpg
I'll use thin plywood for the decking on the walkway and the same corrugated aluminium as used on the buildings for the roof. The roof ought to be curved but I can't think how I can bend the corrugations against the grain so-to-speak, so it will have a peak instead.

Dave

Western Thunderer
I like a challenge and this kit looks like being one. It's a cast resin kit for a Caterpillar D7 with a LaPlante Choate R71 dozer. It is to go on the waste tip. It's a 1940s prototype so should be good for at least the 1950s period of operation. Langley do an International Drott B125, which will suit later, possibly up until the 90s? Apart from these two kits I can't seem to find much in the way of earth moving plant in 4mm scale.
20240116_121713.jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
What a difference a few trees makes.
20240119_180126.jpg
More trees needed yet.

The Cat is progressing but it turned out that one of the major parts to allow the fitting of the dozer blade was missing. I have contacted the supplier but have had no response yet.
20240118_160327.jpg
Fitting the tracks was no easy task. They had to be heated using a hair dryer to get them to curve around the sprockets and idlers and were already in 4 parts. 6 parts when one broke. They're on now but do look a little wobbly.

Dave

Western Thunderer
Six days and two emails since the kit arrived and still no response from Milicast about the missing yoke for the D7.

I went to my local model shop, yesterday, to buy a new cutting mat but also came away with this second hand diecast AEC Mammoth tipper.
20240120_140113.jpg

The ride height seems very low. There is barely any clearance between the front wheels and the cab, so that's a job to do. Rebuilding the tipper body is another as it should be taller for carrying coal as this one would have carried gravel, which of course is more dense than coal. Photos of the lorries at British Oak show the tops of the tipper bodies being around a foot above the tops of the cabs.

20240121_163954.jpg
I'll trim those ribs when all the MEK joints have hardened. The body also needs a lip around the top and a peak to cover the gap between it and the cab. I'll put a representation of the hydraulic ram in, too.

Dave

Western Thunderer
What's a local model shop???

Brian
Bricks and mortar premises within a relatively short distance from home, where one enters, looks at real items, is able to handle them and exchange pieces of paper with pictures of the current or last Monarch on them for said items. Perhaps if more people had continued to do so there'd be more of them still around and there would be fewer people crying into their beer about the loss of one Liverpool-based online retailer.

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

Building a West Country barge from card and Plastikard.

20240128_122032.jpg

20240129_140614.jpg

20240131_172150.jpg
There's still lots to do on it and the tipper house needs rebuilding as the chute was too low and didn't have enough reach. I ought to have built the barge before the chute. Ah well...

Dave

Western Thunderer
The barge is rubbish. The bow is too pointed, the ends of the hold should be curved and the stance of the thing was wrong. It sat so high out of the water that it would need to be modelled as empty but when empty they sit down at the stern. I'll scrap it.

I've started again and the new one looks better already.
20240203_182543.jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
I forgot to mention that I bodged the missing parts from the dozer kit and managed to get it something like passable.
DSCF0689s.jpg

A new toy arrived.

Heljan/Kernow Ex-BR Class 11, 12099. 12099 did work at British Oak and in orange livery but this appears to have been modelled as during its time after it left British Oak and went to Bowers Row D.P. At BO the orange was less bright and it still carried BR electrification flashes and BR number. It was also generally a lot scruffier too, with rust patches and fuel and oil stains. It's going to need a lot of weathering.
20240205_181005.jpg
I have already painted the running plate black. It was orange, out of the box, but the prototype didn't have it painted orange at all.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

I'm waiting on my BR Green Class 11 to see how it compares with existing Hornby 08s, a couple of which are my benchmarks for slow running.

Given the drama with the earlier PWMs, I reserve judgement.

Rob

Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

I'm waiting on my BR Green Class 11 to see how it compares with existing Hornby 08s, a couple of which are my benchmarks for slow running.

Given the drama with the earlier PWMs, I reserve judgement.

Rob
Hi Rob. I can't say how it compares to the Hornby 08 as I don't have one but in detail it's superior to the Bachmann 08. My 11 has yet to pull a train due to the couplings being cosmetic only, but it's run up and down light engine and seems to run smoothly and slowly enough.

Mine's back with the body off for weathering so it'll be a few days before I fit couplings to it and run it properly.

I made a start on the wheelhouse for the barge.
20240207_161337.jpg