7mm Bleddfa Road

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Diesels are of little interest to many of us, although on a personal level, I made quite a bit of extra money out of photographing them at one time.

In one of his Ian Allan 1940s railway albums, O. J. Morris had slipped in a photo of a Southern electric unit to show that, no matter what he said it was doing, it was impossible to convey an impression of motion.

Photos of the steam locos, in contrast, are full of interest, probably because whether moving or not, they conjure up a period in railway history that we oldies remember, while diesels remind us of the downfall of the UK rail system, ~ Not just the motive power and rolling stock, but the whole infrastructure and a way of life.
Sorry Larry - but I have to disagree with this. I cannot believe that after all these decades we are having this conversation. The aircraft guys don't have this Prop Vs Jet rubbish. Are these just your opinions or statements of fact? They certainly are not true for me. I find a Class 60, 66 or 70 far more impressive to watch than a GWR Castle. But that is just my opinion. It is not for me to assume that is true for everyone else.

I don't know if you get out on the railways today, but I don't see a system in that much decline, and in many areas, it is on the up. If there is no freight then why do we need so many hundreds of large freight diesels and electrics [with more being built] - and remember most of these classes have a much higher availability rate than any steam engine ever had. And why do we need all these new passenger trains? Watch the Beattock railcam for example, and the sheer frequency of Anglo-Scottish expresses on the move every weekday. Far more than ever, I'd say.

I find a large diesel with a heavy 2,200 ton freight train on the move every bit as impressive and moving as I used to find a Merchant Navy speeding through Brockenhurst with the Bournemouth Belle, as a kid. And as for the infrastructure and way of life part - it's just different. You can see the pride that workers took during the repair at Petteril Bridge Junction following the cement train derailment last year. Impressive work by any standards.

I've quoted him before, but as the Late US Railroader Don Ball Jnr. once wrote - as long as we're talking steel flanges on steel rails, then it's interesting.

As I've said before - I absolutely love Geoffs's layout and his presentation of it on WT - and Geoff, I apologise for the interjection!

DJP/MMP

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Diesels are of little interest to many of us, although on a personal level, I made quite a bit of extra money out of photographing them at one time.

In one of his Ian Allan 1940s railway albums, O. J. Morris had slipped in a photo of a Southern electric unit to show that, no matter what he said it was doing, it was impossible to convey an impression of motion.

Photos of the steam locos, in contrast, are full of interest, probably because whether moving or not, they conjure up a period in railway history that we oldies remember, while diesels remind us of the downfall of the UK rail system, ~ Not just the motive power and rolling stock, but the whole infrastructure and a way of life.

Sorry Larry but I have to disagree. Early diesel traction such as the ex GWR railcars and small railbuses as appearing on Bleddfa are extremely interesting. My railway modelling interest is quite eclectic, ranging from pre-grouping to 1980s blue diesels, the latter reflecting my spotting days up to the mid 80s. There are also my Continental interests, mainly 1980s Czech Communist era traction, diesels, railcars etc.

I have a future plan to model an East Anglian BLT in the mid 60s and have the locos and DMUs ready to go. Diesel traction of this period is full of character and rightfully have their place on layouts such as Geoff's and Alan's Blakeney for that matter.

I accept that they may remind you of the unravelling of the steam era railway you knew. I didn't know steam, I arrived just as steam was leaving the system and I was more concerned with my teddies at the time. Even the trainsets that my Dad bought me were those featuring diesel traction and my Dad was old enough to remember the pre-grouping period but this hasn't stopped me being intetested in and modelling the steam era.....and the diesel era. In fact, images of diesels surrounded by what is fundamentally the steam era infrastructure are hugely fascinating to many of us.

Rob

simond

Western Thunderer
I suspect that it is difficult to tell from a photo of a diesel or electric whether it’s doing the ton or waiting for the road. Not the same for steam locos.

What’s attractive, what’s not? that’s a different kettle of fish!

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Being of the same generation as Larry I can well understand his comment, I remember arriving at Bristol Temple Meads and seeing Bath Road shed awash with brand new D63XX, Hymeks and Warships. But worse was to come, for the train taking us onward to Frome was made up of DMU's, rather than the usual 8750 Pannier and B Sets. Steam had well and truly been swept aside, at least on the Western, and my spotting days came to an end, not to mention a way of life that Larry mentions.

Several years later I came to appreciate the pioneer diesels, later still I became rather fond of the DMU's. The following photos were taken during the BR Blue period, but sadly I just can't relate to today's modern railway, but never say never :)

Geoff

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I was joking, but looking at the photo again, has it SPADed?

Unlikely - SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) signals have a blue surround and usually set lower towards cantrail height so it's in practically in the drivers eyeline if the preceeding signal is passed at danger. In certain locations they are mounted at ground level and tilted upwards.

They are sited at locations where a SPAD could lead to a high risk of a head on collision.

James

Western Thunderer
Unlikely - SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) signals have a blue surround and usually set lower towards cantrail height so it's in practically in the drivers eyeline if the preceeding signal is passed at danger.

The SPADs I've dealt with have never featured SPAD indicators, they're uncommon really, TPWS drastically reduced their implimentation.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I remember Hemel Hempstead and Boxmoor really well and warmly, Dave. I used to go there from Harrow with friends as it was a day out in the country and away from parents! That was long before it became simply Hemel Hempstead, a suburb of London and a town by-passed by the dual carriageway A41. I moved there in 1970. I've subsequently moved further out as we'll see when we come to some of the later Tim Mills pictures.

That's a lovely shot by your dad, Dave, and brings back many memories of the WCML.

Brian

simond

Western Thunderer
Unlikely - SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) signals have a blue surround and usually set lower towards cantrail height so it's in practically in the drivers eyeline if the preceeding signal is passed at danger. In certain locations they are mounted at ground level and tilted upwards.

They are sited at locations where a SPAD could lead to a high risk of a head on collision.
I was just wondering if he’d tried very hard to stop at the signal he’d just passed, hence the smoke from the brakes.

James

Western Thunderer
I was just wondering if he’d tried very hard to stop at the signal he’d just passed, hence the smoke from the brakes.
What you describe isn't anything to do with a SPAD indicator, could just as easily be a SPAR, which is far more likely than a SPAD.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks James, I didn't mention the indicator - I think that was Dave.

I simply meant the signal was red and the smoke was a result of trying to stop before passing it….

But I think we’re all a million miles off thread!

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Hello Geoff, just to bring the thread back on track, the Bubble car is a thing of beauty, I bet the passengers enjoy the atmosphere & view along the line “non guards van end only of course” :thumbs:

Craig

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I think we’re all a million miles off thread!
Very true Simon, but it has been fun and informative :)

Anyway - there aren't even any signals to pass at Bleddfa Road. View attachment 212687
Not to mention hardly any trains !!

Hello Geoff, just to bring the thread back on track, the Bubble car is a thing of beauty, I bet the passengers enjoy the atmosphere & view along the line “non guards van end only of course” :thumbs:

Craig
Hi Craig and thanks,

I wouldn't say the Bubble is a thing of beauty, but it certainly has character. The passengers would certainly have a nice view as long as the driver didn't pull his blinds down as they often did. Understandable at nighttime but annoying on a nice day.

P1200711~2.JPG

I sometimes have a diesel only session, so whilst the 'Bubble' caters for the passengers I knock a few wagons around the yard with the 03,

Geoff