Bow Locks in P4.

stevehowe

I can definitely recommend the High Level Pug chassis. I built two in tandem and they are a joy, very clever design for concealing and holding the gearbox in the firebox, full cab detail and removable brake rodding. Mine have the 108-1 gearing and they crawl along beautifully. I used the Alan Gibson wheels which have imparted a slight 'waddle' to the movement which apparently is quite prototypical! (Photos by David Brandreth S4 Society)

horsleybank07.jpghorsleybank09.jpg

I got the bodies (Hornby) from Peters Spares.

Flymo748

Another High Level Pug build in P4 here. In this case, as a fictitious industrial locomotive, using a livery based on a colour picture I found of a saddle tank in an ironstone quarry.

As Steve says, it's incredibly well designed, even if it is a fiddly kit at times because of the small size and number of components. And no, I'm not expecting any sympathy from the 2FS folk. Mine has a DCC chip, and runs very nicely indeed.

Pug build (71).JPGPug build (70).JPG

I'm looking forward to seeing how your ideas develop. Have fun!

Cheers
Paul

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
do you need the cab? I had a look can get a body minus the cab but I can't get one with the cab. Also I can get spare cylinders which seam to be a requirement also?

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
talking of Ebay. I have just got 3 triangular track gauges, 2 check rail gauges, a back to back gauge and a flange way gauge for £25 including postage. Base boards next.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Gauges arrived yesterday but we are away for the next week so I will have a go at my point kit when I get back then it wood work time.

Marc

Flymo748

do you need the cab? I had a look can get a body minus the cab but I can't get one with the cab. Also I can get spare cylinders which seam to be a requirement also?

Marc

Hi Marc,

Back from holiday and saw that you were asking follow-up questions.

Yes, you do need the cab, and yes, the cylinders/slide-bars/slide-bar covers as well.

The suggestion of eBay is a good one, although the prices seem to have reached "collectors" levels compared with the ten quid or so that I paid for the two I originally bought to convert. I actually gave the second loco away to a mate who is an L&Y modeller because I didn't see the need to build another when I had so many alternative unmade kits to deal with first.

There is a slightly scruffy one on eBay that might be a good start for you. After all, you chuck away the mechanism, and I'm sure will be looking at a repaint. L&Y Pug on eBay.

Otherwise it's £35 upwards for a donor. <sigh> I remember when eBay was the place for a bargain...

Cheers
Paul

Flymo748

talking of Ebay. I have just got 3 triangular track gauges, 2 check rail gauges, a back to back gauge and a flange way gauge for £25 including postage. Base boards next.

Marc

Check the back-to-back gauge with a couple of different micrometers, make sure that it is in tolerance (here) and keep it as the only one that you use.

You might have seen the thread on the Scalefour Forum about someone with around four different, all slightly different, gauges. That way lies madness, and definitely erratic running...

Cheers
Paul

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just checked my back to back gauge with two different sets of callipers measurements from 17.59 to 17.75depending on which set you look at. Have I got a dud or is it OK?

steve50

Western Thunderer
I can definitely recommend the High Level Pug chassis. I built two in tandem and they are a joy, very clever design for concealing and holding the gearbox in the firebox, full cab detail and removable brake rodding. Mine have the 108-1 gearing and they crawl along beautifully. I used the Alan Gibson wheels which have imparted a slight 'waddle' to the movement which apparently is quite prototypical! (Photos by David Brandreth S4 Society)

View attachment 158948View attachment 158949

I got the bodies (Hornby) from Peters Spares.
Nice to see some photo's of Horsley Bank, always enjoyed that layout. The Pugs look great, very tempting to get a High Level kit for mine!

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I thought I should post something even though there hasn't been a lot of progress. Since April I have got a few bits and pieces of rolling stock. Mainly LYR/LNWR. Without the distraction of a show before May should let me get on with building the layout and stock.
I will post some photos once I have done something productive.
Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Finally got my hands on the necessary card to build the layout. So I'm hoping to have something physical by the end of tomorrow.
Marc