Building an Old Originals Ruston 48DS kit (Gauge 1)

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I would treat myself to one, but I'm finding it hard enough to find places to run the Scale7 engines, let alone Gauge1.

Is there much DCC in gauge1, or mostly DC ?

JB.

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
I have DCC, and I believe Simon is in the process as well.... No excuse!

My L&Y Pug will be DCC as will the 48DS.... when I build it.

Not sure about the Austerity; may go for a Cliff Barker RC battery set up for running at G1MRA garden meets  :scratch: Sorry that was OT.

S

Simon Dunkley

Scale7JB said:
Is there much DCC in gauge1, or mostly DC ?
They are more likely to go for battery power, either radio or key-fob controlled.

Or sometimes, stud contact... ...which at least matches the wheel standards most of them use!

chrisb

Western Thunderer
Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and...well, I saw this thread and thought I would make a start by posting a photo of the Old Originals Ruston I've built that is currently in the paint shop being weathered:

[attachimg=1]

The model is based on a Ruston in service at Grant Lyon Eagre and so far has been weathered using a colour modulation technique followed by a paint chipping technique that I picked up from the military modeling fraternity.

I will be using battery-powered wireless DCC sound.  I experimented with some of the non-DCC sounds cards that are available but found them pretty lacking compared with DCC sound and so that's the route I've taken even though it is expensive.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how you finish your Ruston, Steve.

Chris
Anderson Valley, CA

Attachments

• DSC_0002-2.jpg
    DSC_0002-2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 231

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Hello Chris and Welcome to WT.

I have admired your 48DS over on g1mra mff and (like others have commented over there) am impressed with both the superb paint finish and the slightly unusual colour.

Hope that you'll post some of your other work over here too  :thumbs:

Simon

Flying Squad
In the just out new book "Memories of Southern Railways" by Mike Jacobs, published by Noodle (and in stock you know where at £14.95) there is a cracking shot of DS1169 at Broad Clyst.

I haven't taken a proper gander yet but it is one of a lot of highly interesting "SR in the west" type shots in the book.

More wretched diesel pollution - I am increasingly inclined to model the blighter using my own 48DS kit from John instead of the very funky "Express Dairies" blue and white livery, choices, choices.....

This 48DS was sold to the Bristol Aeroplane Company, the Southern Region bought it for use at (I think) Folkestone Shakespeare Cliff, it then went to Broad Clyst sleeper depot and then finished up at Yeovil as in the picture Mike linked to. (So last two places quite WR-ish)

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

Not only that, but you are being promted in other threads, although it would seem that you need to regauge it to a scale 2'4.4"...

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
DSC_0002-2.jpg

Thats lovely Chris :cool: I really do need to get on with mine.

Nice subtle use of the colour modulation technique - I've only just this week been reading about that and finding whilst it adds a certain something to a model, its not realistic when the tonal contrast is as strong as seems to be the norm. Your use of that technique is much more suitable for what we do, top job :thumbs:

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
View attachment 7514
Nice subtle use of the colour modulation technique - I've only just this week been reading about that and finding whilst it adds a certain something to a model, its not realistic when the tonal contrast is as strong as seems to be the norm.
Yes, it is a technique that is normally overdone - subtlety is definitely the watchword when it comes to using colour modulation.

John D

Western Thunderer
Chris,

WOW!!!!!!!.........where have I been, brilliant!!!!!......:thumbs::thumbs: and again :thumbs: Does this mean we have to form a Ruston owners club or something;)