Elmham Market in EM

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Quite a productive evening as I have finished the chimney stacks and pots (still mulling over whether to add some filler on top of the stacks between the pots to resemble mortar filling) and have started on the guttering and downstacks. These are the Ratio mouldings and I had some lying around but have now run out so will need to pay Paul a visit at Alton Models for new supplies…. A couple of photos are attached.

NigelIMG_3595.jpegIMG_3594.jpeg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Coming along very nicely, Nigel. Have you considered the Modelu chimney pots and rain ware? I've only used their loco crews, but the building accessories look very neat.
Dave.

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Coming along very nicely, Nigel. Have you considered the Modelu chimney pots and rain ware? I've only used their loco crews, but the building accessories look very neat.
Dave.
Thanks for the pointer Dave and I’ll definitely look up their website for future buildings.

Nigel

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Looking great Nigel don’t the chimneys give life to a building I remember years ago when I went to Queensland
there wasn’t a chimney in sight and to me all the houses looked bald but that’s how all new houses are these days, one thing bad about a chimney is in the summer they are a freeway for the flys.
David.

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Looking great Nigel don’t the chimneys give life to a building I remember years ago when I went to Queensland
there wasn’t a chimney in sight and to me all the houses looked bald but that’s how all new houses are these days, one thing bad about a chimney is in the summer they are a freeway for the flys.
David.
Yes, they do give character to a house. Somehow they seem unfinished without them!

Nigel

Ian N

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
I have done very little in the way of modelling over the last few days and quite a lot of being Grandpa to my young grandchildren but my daughter and her family went home yesterday evening so I brought the pair of semi detached houses back out and have pretty much finished the construction (the rest of the guttering and downpipes as well as creating some chimney crowns with more filler) and then started some of the painting. This is quite a slow and painstaking process for me but it’s coming together OK. I attach a photo of progress so far. The sand textured paint in real life doesn’t appear quite so rough as it does in the photo but I might look at it again in the cold light of day and see if it needs any remedial attention.

Nigel

IMG_3609.jpeg

AJC

Western Thunderer
I have done very little in the way of modelling over the last few days and quite a lot of being Grandpa to my young grandchildren but my daughter and her family went home yesterday evening so I brought the pair of semi detached houses back out and have pretty much finished the construction (the rest of the guttering and downpipes as well as creating some chimney crowns with more filler) and then started some of the painting. This is quite a slow and painstaking process for me but it’s coming together OK. I attach a photo of progress so far. The sand textured paint in real life doesn’t appear quite so rough as it does in the photo but I might look at it again in the cold light of day and see if it needs any remedial attention.

Nigel

View attachment 211729

Nice attempt at pebble dash, not a material much modelled. Perhaps the colouring could have a bit more density? I think the texture is overdone though.

The only other thing is that, in my experience the local authority painted the doors rather than the tenants, so they were generally all the same colour (it was a pale blue in Yeovil in the ‘80s).

Adam

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Nice attempt at pebble dash, not a material much modelled. Perhaps the colouring could have a bit more density? I think the texture is overdone though.

The only other thing is that, in my experience the local authority painted the doors rather than the tenants, so they were generally all the same colour (it was a pale blue in Yeovil in the ‘80s).

Adam
Hi Adam,

All very valid points. This is only part completed. The walls definitely need more coats of textured paint and will then be coloured to resemble a painted surface. I might also have a crack at sanding down areas of the walls to get a more even texture before giving it that final whitewash coat. On the front doors, you may be right, but doing some Googling on the subject of council house front door colours, it seems some councils at least offered a choice of blue, red or green to their tenants and I am working on the basis that Elmham Market Borough Council was one of those more enlightened local authorities!

Nigel

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Nigel, In MRJ 275 (well worth acquiring), Stephen Williams built a pair of cement rendered council semis for Faringdon. He found a few stippled coats of Crown "suede-effect" paint gave him a pleasing result. I very much like the proportions of your pair, personally I'd hold back on adding more texture, rather work with what you've already applied. Cheers.

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Nigel, In MRJ 275 (well worth acquiring), Stephen Williams built a pair of cement rendered council semis for Faringdon. He found a few stippled coats of Crown "suede-effect" paint gave him a pleasing result. I very much like the proportions of your pair, personally I'd hold back on adding more texture, rather work with what you've already applied. Cheers.
Thanks for flagging that up Paul. I have the complete set of MRJs so will look up issue 275.

Nigel

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Doing some more painting on the semi detached houses this evening. I have also given my test strip (about 90mm long) of plasticard a coat of Vallejo pale sand acrylic and attach a photo. In real life this looks pretty similar to the sort of effect I am aiming to achieve (see the photo of the real thing earlier in the thread), but I am open to others views and comments!

Nigel

IMG_3610.jpeg

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Slowly progressing with the painting. Third side painted today and I have found it best to keep the wet textured paint horizontal until it has dried; it seems to find a level better that way (which I suppose isn’t surprising - perhaps I should have engaged brain a bit earlier in the process!). I’m hoping to get the roof tiles on, glazing and then I will need some internal walls to prevent being able to see right through the building! A photo of the back painted, but still wet, attached…

Nigel

IMG_3614.jpeg

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Had a very enjoyable day at Didcot then on to Pendon via The Plough at Long Wittenham. The modelling there always inspires, even though mere mortals like me can only dream of creating to that standard. Back home and I have been plugging away at the roof of the council semis. Front elevation is now done (apart from the main ridge tiles, which will have to wait until the back elevation has been finished). My eldest son has observed that the tiles will need weathering. I must practice on a spare bit of tiling first as they are York Modelmaking 3M tiles, so probably won’t take kindly to some forms of weathering. Anyway, a couple of photos of progress to date…

Nigel

IMG_3707.jpegIMG_3706.jpeg

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
I’ve been a bit quiet recently mainly because it has been taking me some time to complete the tiling but both sides of the building are now complete and I have also managed to glaze all of the windows. My next job is to glue and paint some interior partitions and floors just to stop the eye looking straight through the houses, then plant them on Elmham Market.

Whilst waiting for the glue to set on each side I have attempted to solve one of those irritating occasional problems on my D&S bogie coaches. They seem to create shorts on some curves and I think it is the wheels sometimes touching and scraping a bit of paint off the underside of the underframe. Reading another thread on this forum I saw, I think, @simond recommending the use of tissue paper to prevent shorts in another environment. I have tried that here by slipping cut pieces of tissue paper between the wheels and underframes and supergluing them in place. I need to get up to the railway to test whether it has cured the problem.

Anyway, a couple of photos of the current state of the council houses attached.

Nigel

IMG_3711.jpegIMG_3712.jpeg