Scattergun EM Whimsy, playing with Sodor's No. 1

AJC

Western Thunderer
I'll spare you the spotting notes of Richard Starkey, aged 12... Here's Thomas, almost complete - I have some lamps to put on yet. Quite a satisfying project, and a useful opportunity to clear out some of the spares that have loitering around the bench for far too long. If I get to Expo EM on Sunday, I'll take it for a spin on the test track. The three-year old is very impressed.

Thomas_009.jpg

Thomas_010.jpg

Thomas_011.jpg

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
It’s a curious design, surprisingly long wheelbase and there doesn’t seem enough room ahead of the leading axles to get the cylinders in.

I don’t suppose the three-year-old is worried by such trivial concerns…

And a useful engine, undoubtedly :)

AJC

Western Thunderer
It’s a curious design, surprisingly long wheelbase and there doesn’t seem enough room ahead of the leading axles to get the cylinders in.

I don’t suppose the three-year-old is worried by such trivial concerns…

And a useful engine, undoubtedly :)

Not remotely. That said, all those are features of real E2s (ok, this one has a ‘Derby’ wheelbase (16' 6"), but it’s not so very far from the Brighton original (16'), and the front axle position is fairly close). All that and he runs really very nicely indeed; good slow speed control, reasonable top speed, and a bit of overrun from the flywheel. It moved 15 bogie coaches round that test track as well, slipping a bit, but it did get them underway. Proper load trials will have to wait until I'm next down in Somerset, but he's probably good for 40-50 wagons, or more than will fit in the loops.

Adam

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The coach is from Hornby, allegedly generic, but suspiciously Brighton in design, so…

Yes, a Stroudley design, and a Billington design for their 6 wheel coaches. The LBSC brake ends are the giveaway.

If you squared off the windows of the Hattons 6 wheel coaches they would pass for ex LCDR coaches. Especially if you moved the ducket to the correct position on the end on their brake coach with a touch of 'cutting and shutting'.

p.s. Nice cast iron fireplace in the background - original Victorian or Edwardian?

Reactions: AJC

simond

Western Thunderer
We still have Mavis and Toby, commercial chassis (Atlas and Lima) tamed by cheapo decoders with a reasonable top speed imposed. Mavis was built for young sir when he was 3, he’ll be 26 in January, Toby for little Miss, about two years later.

image.jpg

Many happy hours were spent banging troublesome trucks (big big or lima minerals with 3-links) about.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Yes, a Stroudley design, and a Billington design for their 6 wheel coaches. The LBSC brake ends are the giveaway.

If you squared off the windows of the Hattons 6 wheel coaches they would pass for ex LCDR coaches. Especially if you moved the ducket to the correct position on the end on their brake coach with a touch of 'cutting and shutting'.

p.s. Nice cast iron fireplace in the background - original Victorian or Edwardian?

Ah, I hadn't looked too closely at the six-wheelers, but that makes sense. As you say, the brake ends - and interior arrangement (per 949 on the Bluebell) is distinctive. There will be a second carriage at some point, just not sure what. I'd like it not to be a Ratio four-wheeler, but ubiquity and cheapness are factors... Still 'Sodor' seems like the kind of railway that would have played the second hand vehicle market extensively and I do have a NLR third class vehicle that could be pressed into use, if not much use to potential first class passengers on the Ffarqhar branch...

What this exercise has demonstrated, however, is that some sort of carriage truck is called for (for sir's cars - Sodor Motor Rail?) and probably a second loco' so the five-week old doesn't feel left out. We already have a brake, and loads of wagons which are pretty durable. Excuses, eh? S

Yes, the fireplace is probably original so 1880s, we think. The OS revision is 1886? when the house is not present, but it is there in the 1891 census, anyway.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
We still have Mavis and Toby, commercial chassis (Atlas and Lima) tamed by cheapo decoders with a reasonable top speed imposed. Mavis was built for young sir when he was 3, he’ll be 26 in January, Toby for little Miss, about two years later.

View attachment 200351

Many happy hours were spent banging troublesome trucks (big big or lima minerals with 3-links) about.

Love them both!

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
And Rapido have emailed me to say Henrietta and her sister are coming to stay tomorrow…

Nigel

And very handsome models they are. I do have a self-imposed rule of cheapness for this exercise! There must be a failed/abandoned pannier out there… Quack. And there’s always the Airfix Drewry (I think I have suitable wheels, or almost enough, anyway, for either).

Adam

Last edited: