Fred Phipps Class 22 Build

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
The Chassis has had it's final finishing including fitting the outer vacuum pipes on with 12ba screws and nuts, these were originally meant to be soldered directly to the chassis but i thought that they would be somewhat vulnerable so soldered them onto separate brackets, time will tell.
View attachment 24883

View attachment 24884

You would think that after first using the stuff over thirty years a go that i would remember to use a face mask when spraying etch primer or maybe i love the smell of etch primer in the afternoon :rolleyes:,

cheers to all, Rob

Hi Taliesin
Oh yes this takes me back to 1998/99 when I did D6331, would you believe I spent a whole weekend demonstrating at the BRM Doncaster show making those etched steps (no wonder I have to wear glasses now) Thank goodness Fred was so kind ! thats also good news with regards the steps for the D600, cast in resin, however will they be as strong?
Keep up the good work, you nearly have a loco ready for duty on Worcester Road.
Cheers
Mr TV

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve, i am not sure if the steps are being cast in resin though, i thought Fred was doing them in Brass? cheers Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Having allowed the etch primer 24 hours to dry and do it's etching stuff i then sprayed over a coat of red oxide, there is no real need to do this but i did it all the same because from what i can make out the prototypes were painted with red oxide as well. My thought is any scratches picked up in use will look prototypical.
After drying Henry Ford's favorite colour was applied from a Halfords rattle can followed by further coats to cover the bits i missed first time :eek:, followed by another coat due to still missing one or two areas.
photo-8.JPG

It struck me that unlike a steamer chassis most of it will not be visible once assembled, basically only the central water tank along with the buffer beams and the gubbins that hang off them.
I reckon to leave it a further week to harden off then assembly can begin :),
cheers to all, Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Well i have given into temptation and done what i hope will be the final assembly,
photo-12.JPG

While the paint was hardening off i turned back to the final body assembly which involved glueing the cab bulkheads in place with Araldite but the cab floors need to be removable if a window accidentally gets pushed in and needs to be refitted or replaced as necessary.
photo-11.JPG

Sorry about the background but as you can see the Ledbelly Brothers are now in their final resting place and waiting to hit the road. Within the instructions there are plans and templates for making up an interior to represent the radiator innards but due to all the R/C gubbins inside the body i just glued black card behind the grilles as mentioned in a previous posting.
photo-10.JPG

I have made contact with the original owner of the kit who has agreed to finish the weathering, at the moment she looks like an old tart wearing brand new black satin under crackers looking to get arrested on a Friday night.
The sound system volume has been adjusted but i somehow think not for the last time, cheers to all, Rob

alcazar

I was just going to question the mixture of weathered and brand new, then read the end of your post.
Can't wait to see the finished article.

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the kind comments guy's, as to the future? well i have a rake of Slaters milk tankers to build, if i can finish them with my sanity more or less intact then there is quite possibly another 22 to finish and then there is the small matter of the soon to be released D600 class, looks like i am going to be busy busy for the foreseeable future:),
cheers to all, Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
As I write this I am at my local G1MRA group meeting where I have been running her, one of the other members has taken Fred's number so he can purchase a kit, it seems these 22's are contagious. Incidentally have you watched the DVD Deisel Hydraulic Heavon Jordan? Great footage of a 22 shunting at Coleford. Cheers to all, Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
There is a you-tube clip featuring class 22's when the S&D was being dismantled, i must admit i don't recall anything on the Forest of Dean with 22's on you-tube, cheers Rob

Simon

Flying Squad
In addition to the video under discussion, B&R video productions Vol 167 Diesel Hydraulic Heyday shows the same sort of shunting at Coleford Junction, in addition to a trip working arriving, shunting and departing again from Charlbury all with a North British - an absolutely fantastic sequence. Lots of other good stuff too.

As an aside, the unreliability of the small North British locos is generally overstated I think. A lot of the trips to and from Swindon were for farting about with the head code boxes, and the manufacturer's demise was probably more to do with over optimism and an unfavourable contract than actual "product defects".

There are loads of pictures of them running trains successfully in quite remote places and contemporary records (Railway Observer etc) don't, I think, record lots of failures at the time.

Rather they were a relatively under powered non standard design the requirements for which largely went with the simplification and streamlining of the railway system shortly after they were introduced.

The spoked wheels always did it for me - I love 'em:thumbs:

Simon