From Llangunllo to Llanbister Rd.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Geoff,

The pics are EXELLENT. I particularly like the class 22 on milks. It looks REAL, captures everything it needs to in a stunning setting:bowdown::bowdown:

Rob

Alan

Western Thunderer
As normal excellent photos and like you Geoff I have invested Dapols model 63XX. Must say I like the new dairy and like you my 63XX will be used on the dairy train. At the moment I can't get at it to weather and add the detail as I have just had (Tues) a hernia operation and have dicovered the disadvantage of a duck under to get into the model railway room, so that will have to wait for a week or so.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Having been in touch with Alan the good news is that he is making a good recovery from his op.
That duck under is going to be painful for a few weeks going of my own experiences !

Geoff

JimG

Western Thunderer
Having been in touch with Alan the good news is that he is making a good recovery from his op.
That duck under is going to be painful for a few weeks going of my own experiences !

I've got a duckunder to get into the room with my layout and I'm in and out of the room several times per day, so the duckunder was getting to be a pain in the butt. But I happened to have a small office type chair with castors in the room and I found that sitting on this and propelling myself under the duckunder is quite a comfortable way around the problem. I've got carpet tiles on the floor so there is not too much resistance to the rollers. You might have to put a sheet of something down on top of a carpet to make it workable.

Jim.

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I've got a duckunder to get into the room with my layout and I'm in and out of the room several times per day, so the duckunder was getting to be a pain in the butt. But I happened to have a small office type chair with castors in the room and I found that sitting on this and propelling myself under the duckunder is quite a comfortable way around the problem. I've got carpet tiles on the floor so there is not too much resistance to the rollers. You might have to put a sheet of something down on top of a carpet to make it workable.

Jim.

I am trying to imagine you diving under the layout :) perhaps you could show us how on a you tube clip :D.

All the best, Martyn.

JimG

Western Thunderer
I am trying to imagine you diving under the layout :) perhaps you could show us how on a you tube clip :D.

I should maybe have pointed out that my baseboard tops are at 48" so there is about 40" clearance under them and the supporting framework which means that I don't have to duck down too much when sitting in the chair to clear them. Plenty of practice at avoiding a boom on a sailing dinghy helps.:)

Jim.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Many thanks for the concern shown and ideas around the problem. As Geoff said I am progressing well but not looking forward to taking the dressing off on Monday am.
Jim, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only sailor here and like you I have had plenty of experience at ducking under booms.

28ten

Guv'nor
Many thanks for the concern shown and ideas around the problem. As Geoff said I am progressing well but not looking forward to taking the dressing off on Monday am.
I had one done nine years ago, it does sting a bit :) I was back on my bike in two weeks but it was about 4 months until it was comfortable and even now if I have been doing a lot of lifting I start to feel it.

28ten

Guv'nor
Thanks for making my day Cynric, as you know Penhydd is meant to be in that lovely part of the country.

A change of plan with the creamery has taken place and the original has gone to the scrap bin to be replaced with this new, improved Mk 5 version. I felt the ornate Victorian style brick original looked out of place so came up with this.................

View attachment 7856

View attachment 7858

View attachment 7857

Cheers,
Geoff
I was out on my bike round Knighton and Presteign today and there is a huge old concrete grail silo outside Presteign, so concrete would be good for the dairy. Something you have missed is the muck on the roads, I cant imagine it was any cleaner 50 years ago.......

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I had one done nine years ago, it does sting a bit :) I was back on my bike in two weeks but it was about 4 months until it was comfortable and even now if I have been doing a lot of lifting I start to feel it.

Had one myself in '94', they had me on my feet as soon as possible after the op. then sent me home by taxi a few hours later, I was in agony !

I was out on my bike round Knighton and Presteign today and there is a huge old concrete grail silo outside Presteign, so concrete would be good for the dairy. Something you have missed is the muck on the roads, I cant imagine it was any cleaner 50 years ago.......

I suppose concrete would be more in keeping with things but to be honest I can't stand the stuff, another modelling chum sent me this http://derelictmisc....isc/llanio.html Now that would be a challenge, as for mucky roads I will bear that in mind for a future job. ;)

Anyway before we leave these shores for some winter sunshine here are a couple more photos.......

Creamery Mk5 d.jpg

The latest from the creamery, chimney and walls now painted and weathered. Ground form awaiting Silflor and the water tower tank is having a new corrugated iron cover made for it.

D6331 at the Creamey.jpg

Testing or is it playing trains ?

D6331 running light past Penhydd starter.jpg

Running light back towards Presteign...........

Creamey Chimney.jpg

I rather like this view of the chimney in the far background..........

Well thats it from me for a couple of weeks, look out for MRJ 211, I'm not saying anymore ;)

Cheers,
Geoff

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
At the moment I can't get at it to weather and add the detail as I have just had (Tues) a hernia operation and have dicovered the disadvantage of a duck under to get into the model railway room, so that will have to wait for a week or so.

Sorry to hear about the op, Alan. Hope it was successful. Three cheers for lightweight baseboard construction!

Richard

Alan

Western Thunderer
Everything seems to be going OK, not looking forward to the dressing coming off tomorrow morning:eek:. I was taken into theatre at 2.30pm and I was home by 5.30pm and going for a short walk. I live about 40 minutes drive from the hospital. I was taken home by a friend. Not very much pain I must say and I'm off the painkillers. They even put on Simon and Garfunkel in the theatre for me. I had sedation and a local anaesthetic. Strangely for open surgery you get the sedation for keyhole surgery you get a general.

Enough of my woes. Penhydd is as ever an inspiration and I do like the new dairy. It seems to sit well in the scenery.

Enjoy your hols Geoff.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Pleased to say dressing was removed quite easily revealing a neat bit of work in stitching me up by the surgeon. So hopefully by the end of the week I will, very carefully be able to get back into the railway room and start work on detailing the 63XX ready for my milk train.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Alan,

glad to hear it went well - when the nurse called at home to remove my stitches following my first hip replacement, my wife came home to hear the nurse's voice coming from the bedroom.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to further photos of the 63xx.

cheers

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Your layout looks very nice in MRJ.......congratulations on the article :) :thumbs: , some very nice pics, I particularaly like the pic on p285 :cool:.............the article helped me regain the will to live while I was Christmas shopping with SWMBO in Debenhams today :))

Cheers Phill :drool:

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Hi Chaps,
Sorry for not replying earlier but we have been enjoying the warmth of the Med.
Mind you it's payback time now having arrived back to a cold, damp UK !
Anyway time for a few replies................

Did you have any problems with the valances on your nbl ?

I did indeed have problems with the valances Chris, LH 1 was rather difficult to fit in place, on the other hand both LH and RH 3 would not stay in place. A few minor adjustments to the valance tabs worked a treat and all is now well. I did find one of the corner steps was missing and thought I had lost it when in fact I found it in one of the bogies when I did the EM conversion !
On the whole I am very happy with the model and hope you are as well.

I do like the new dairy. It seems to sit well in the scenery.

Enjoy your hols Geoff.

Hi Alan,
Glad to learn that you are now fighting fit once more and like the look of you D63XX now it's been weathered.
Mine will have to wait as I want to complete the creamery as it is in demand for another article. Everyone seems to agree that the new arrangement works better and I personally am much happier with how it sits on the layout.
As for the hols we had a good time thanks but can't get warm since arriving back.

MRJ arrived this morning, and what do I see on p283?

Looking good!

Cheers Richard, I only found out two weeks before the planned publication date that the article would be appearing in this issue and received my advanced copy just before we went on holiday !
Having been told that it would most likely be late next year before the article was featured in the journal it all came as a pleasant surprise and goes to show that you don't have to be a name to appear within the pages of MRJ.
So I hope others will now be encouraged to submit articles for publication.

Your layout looks very nice in MRJ.......congratulations on the article :) :thumbs: , some very nice pics, I particularaly like the pic on p285 :cool:.............the article helped me regain the will to live while I was Christmas shopping with SWMBO in Debenhams today :))

Cheers Phill :drool:

Thanks Phill, I must say that I like the thought of you walking around Debenhams with your nose in MRJ :D Hopefully the dreaded shopping went well and you can now forget about it for another year !
I also like the pic you refer to but it really makes the points look far sharper than the B6 and B7 they are.

Cheers,
Geoff

Alan

Western Thunderer
Glad you enjoyed your holiday, Yes i'm feeling pretty fit.

Valances on the 63XX went on reasonably well till one kept sliding out. Must admit Ireorted to superglue.
My only problem with it is that one of the windsceen wipers has dropped out somewhere and as you might expect i can't find it. So i've email Dapol to see if they do any spares, and at the moment I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks for your comments about the weathering.

Haven't had a chance to get a copy of MRJ as I'm only just allowed to drive again. Looking forward to reading your article.